CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Anthem of the Seas Broadway Show (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/401213-anthem-seas-broadway-show.html)

SausPud March 3rd, 2014 06:56 AM

Anthem of the Seas Broadway Show

The current shows are as follows:

Oasis of the Seas - Hairspray
Allure of the Seas - Chicago
Liberty of the Seas - Saturday Night Fever
Quantum of the Seas - Mamma Mia

As each ship is having it's own Broadway / West End Show, I am taking predictions / guesses for what Anthem of the Seas will have on their ship.

My guess is Queen's "We will Rock You!" as the ship will be sailing from the UK and this show has a lot of Queen's Anthems, so fits in with the feel of the ship.

Post your predictions / guesses below with a reason why you feel it could be that show.

Dave Beers March 3rd, 2014 10:58 AM

We Will Rock You would also be popular when Anthem comes to Florida for the winters. Queen was very popular in the U.S.

Trip March 3rd, 2014 01:44 PM

Any one of these shows would make me smile!

Dave Beers March 3rd, 2014 03:58 PM

Disney likely wouldn't sign off on letting The Lion King be licensed to Royal Caribbean, so we can take that one off the list.

I'll pick Jersey Boys as the show for the Anthem. No basis for it, just adding something to the discussion.

Donna March 3rd, 2014 04:07 PM

Ok, I was on Allure when she first came out and they had Chicago. When do they switch up the shows?

Dave Beers March 3rd, 2014 06:10 PM

I think they told us Hairspray would run for 5 years, so it's run would be up at the end of this year since Oasis debuted in the fall of 2009. Where has the time gone? Seems like yesterday when I boarded Oasis for the 4-night 'pre-inaugural' cruise that was actually the first revenue cruise. That was also when I first met Paul in person.

beachbum13 March 4th, 2014 01:17 AM

Elton John could be the Godmother! lol
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...psd1896569.jpg

SausPud March 4th, 2014 05:03 AM

I was hearing rumours that Wicked was going to be on Quantum before Mamma Mia was announced. I could see wicked working on board.
What it seems is they pick a "Tony Award" winning musical that has been established as a hit on the stage and then pick one of them. If they paid a high price for Mamma Mia then it might be on the Quantum Class across the board. The wife would like that.

I was on Oasis last year and enjoyed Hairspray. Also had a little personal gig from the main two stars with about 50 guests. Great fun. But if the shows are being moved around I would want a new ship like Anthem having Hairspray on it instead of a new show.

Maybe roll out the shows to other ships and but new shows on the big ships.

AF1 March 7th, 2014 07:34 PM

All the above mentioned shows would be nice. I don't like musicals; however, on ship they condense them; so I can sit thru 45 min show.

beachbum13 March 8th, 2014 12:31 AM

Just not Phantom of the Opera!!! How about Rock of Ages???

SausPud March 8th, 2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachbum13 (Post 1496162)
Just not Phantom of the Opera!!! How about Rock of Ages???

Rock of Ages was nominated for 5 Tony Awards but didn't win any, and RCCL are only picking Tony Award winning shows.

BeachAmmo March 20th, 2014 11:19 AM

Chicago

Royal's website confirms the Broadway show on Anthem will be Chicago.

Shelton

CRUISEFAN0001 March 20th, 2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachammo (Post 1497056)
royal's website confirms the broadway show on anthem will be chicago.

Shelton

ugh. :(

SausPud March 20th, 2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeachAmmo (Post 1497056)
Royal's website confirms the Broadway show on Anthem will be Chicago.

Shelton

Can you post a link to this page as the info showing on the website says:

Theatre
Watch world class performers light up the stage in Broadway style theatre productions. Productions are different on every ship

Theatre highlights include:
Chicago - Experience the singing, dancing, spectacular costumes and dazzling sets of one of this generation's most recognizable hits, now showing miles from the mainland. Exclusive to Allure of the Seas.
Hairspray - This high energy show follows the teenage adventures of Tracy Turnblad, a big girl with big aspirations. Exclusive to Oasis of the Seas.
Mamma Mia - Coming soon to Quantum of the Seas!

Unless you are mixing up Allure with Anthem.

Dave Beers March 20th, 2014 03:03 PM

If it's the Australian version of the RC website you looked at, their info for Anthem is all about the Allure, except they have the wrong ship named. I'd be ashamed if I were the IT technician responsible. Look here.

The Broadway show for Anthem has not been announced yet. Royal Caribbean is not going to miss the opportunity for a media flurry about it by slipping it into their website unannounced.

CRUISEFAN0001 March 21st, 2014 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Beers (Post 1497083)
If it's the Australian version of the RC website you looked at, their info for Anthem is all about the Allure, except they have the wrong ship named. I'd be ashamed if I were the IT technician responsible. Look here.

The Broadway show for Anthem has not been announced yet. Royal Caribbean is not going to miss the opportunity for a media flurry about it by slipping it into their website unannounced.

Thank goodness...

I almost lost my lunch over the idea of Chicago (yet again) being featured on a cruise. A person can only take so much.... rofl

Donna March 21st, 2014 08:19 AM

Allure of the Seas already is doing "Chicago"....will they get a different show then?

CRUISEFAN0001 March 21st, 2014 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1497118)
Allure of the Seas already is doing "Chicago"....will they get a different show then?

I would think so...as they have already done different shows on their top ships for some time now...

The other advantage to RCI is that this allows performers to be "rotational" between shows and ships as a benefit to the changing doing the same performances month in and month out.

I'm thinking Wicked is a leading candidate for Anthem...but we'll likely find out more soon.

TimmyK March 21st, 2014 02:13 PM

I fell asleep during the Chicago show on Allure. I am not one for Broadway musicals.

thecruisequeen March 22nd, 2014 11:58 AM

I'm not big on broadway musicals. I saw five minutes of Chicago on Allure then walked out. Saw 5 minutes of Hairspray 1st time on Oasis then skipped it all together the 2nd time on Oasis.

I would like to see Saturday Night Fever that is on Liberty. And I would love to see Rock of Ages and the soon to be released in New York Rocky the Musical.

I like NCL's choices of Broadway shows on their new ships....Rock of Ages and Legally Blonde over Royal's Hairspray and Chicago. :)

Dave Beers March 22nd, 2014 01:03 PM

I think some cruisers feel obligated to see 'the big show' and then sit there bored for the whole time, not willing to admit they'd be having more fun sitting in the karaoke bar. "It's a Broadway production, we HAVE to see it!" Well, I am among those who didn't care for either Hairspray or Chicago. It's not that the performers were bad - they were excellent - it's just that I didn't care for the story lines and songs. Technically they were great productions, but neither one 'reached' me if you know what I mean.

I'm looking forward to Mamma Mia though, because ABBA music can get everyone in the audience caught up in the musical. Same thing with Saturday Night Fever. They offer something familiar to most people.

Snoozeman March 22nd, 2014 02:54 PM

Interesting and I guess they aren't for every cruiser. I love the Broadway Shows at sea. I haven't seen a proper one since My Fair Lady on the Norway years ago.

Can't wait for the big move to Galveston, I'll book and attend the show for sure.

SausPud March 24th, 2014 02:33 PM

This is what I love about cruising. If you love the broadway shows and other acts in the show lounges (like the wife and I) then it's there for you. If you prefer a disco and dance (not my cuppa) then it's there for you, if you prefer a quiet spot to read or chat, it's there for you.
Whatever your tastes, there is something for you on a cruise. This is great when travelling with friends with different needs, we would meet for dinner then if we wanted different things, we could.

thecruisequeen March 24th, 2014 03:13 PM

I'm looking forward to Mamma Mia on Queen Quantum. My type of broadway show...I think I will love it.

Chicago and Hairspray not so much however a shout out to the Royal Caribbean singers and dancers who do an amazing job on stage.

And I Agree with Dave some cruisers feel obligated to see the "Big Show" just to say they saw it. I was one of them...LOL with no interest in Chicago I did after dinner walk over to the theater to see the show just because it's the big show. However did not feel obligated to stay and walked out and found other things listed on the Compass that was more to my liking...:p:p:p

beachbum13 March 24th, 2014 10:30 PM

As far as Broadway shows on cruise ships go, we'll go if we have open time but it's not a priority. If there's is a show we want to see we'll go see it on Broadway. We did not go see Hairspray cuz we saw it and did not feel the need to skip something else. But on Quantum we have 11 nights so we'll find time to see Mamma Mia. Plus we really liked it on Broadway!

SausPud August 30th, 2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SausPud (Post 1495862)
The current shows are as follows:

Oasis of the Seas - Hairspray
Allure of the Seas - Chicago
Liberty of the Seas - Saturday Night Fever
Quantum of the Seas - Mamma Mia

As each ship is having it's own Broadway / West End Show, I am taking predictions / guesses for what Anthem of the Seas will have on their ship.

My guess is Queen's "We will Rock You!" as the ship will be sailing from the UK and this show has a lot of Queen's Anthems, so fits in with the feel of the ship.

Post your predictions / guesses below with a reason why you feel it could be that show.

Predict "We will Rock You" and seems I was right, thanks for the update Dave Beers.

Donna August 30th, 2014 04:05 PM

Saus,
Nice prediction! Sounds like that could be a rocking show!