Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Default Two Royal Caribbean Ships experiencing problems today

Bad day for Royal Caribbean and passengers on two ships. Adventure Of The Seas was dead-in-the-water for 12 hours overnight and might be underway again at the astounding speed of 5 knots. The ship has broken a propeller on one of two remaining operable azipods. Earlier this week the fixed position azipod had a major oil leak and is inoperable. So it seems the ship has just one azipod left.

Meanwhile, in Galveston The Navigator Of The Seas cannot enter port for two reasons: fog and a barge accident and massive oil spill has closed the port. Guests scheduled to embark today have simply been told "don't come to the port, we'll get back to you later". It seems that fog impacts an awful lot of cruises from Galveston.

I suspect the social media damage control team at RCI headquarters is already forming a plan.
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2014, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

HOw unfortunate, for both the passengers on board now and the passengers that are awaiting to board...Keep us posted...

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 23rd, 2014, 04:38 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hoping everybody arrives safely to their homeports !
Old March 23rd, 2014, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Navigator will dock in Galveston around 6pm tonight and debarkation will begin. New guests are being told they will not board until 10 or 11pm. Last word I saw on the Adventure was that embarkation started but they'll remain in port overnight and skip at least one port and possibly two. This was scheduled to be the last cruise for Adventure before it enters the shipyard next weekend for planned upgrades and maintenance. Sounds like they pushed that 'oil change' past it's grace period!

I'm pretty surprised that Royal had zero Twitter posts today about any of this, and they only posted some info on Facebook after people posted specific questions about these two ships.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:06 PM
First Mate

Bummer for all those passengers waiting to get off both ships; and those waiting to board. I think adventure is based in Puerto rico so those people will have nightmares with airlines; I guess that is why you book choice air.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:08 PM
Captain

It seems to me that RCI is feelin' the hurt. They had to match the recent NCL deal: Kids Sail Free and Balcony Upgrades, first time I've seen that with RCI. I KNOW I paid less for my last NCL cruise in January, and got a WAY BETTER cabin, but I dropped twice what I normally do in onboard charges.... cruise-line on-board up-sell strategy worked.

Norwegian must be killing them (Carnival too, with their rock-bottom rates). Perhaps the bottom line hit is trickling down into the maintenance schedule?

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old March 24th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I love RCCL but as of late I find that NCL has better deals especially for solo traveler with their studio room design for the solo person in mind, I am a Diamond member on RCCL but all being said I will now establish my membership with NCL because of the better rates and consideration to the solo traveler on four of their ships
Breakaway
Epic
Getaway
pride of America
Old March 24th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
but I dropped twice what I normally do in onboard charges.... cruise-line on-board up-sell strategy worked.

Just curious why your onboard charges were double then normal? What does NCL charge for other then the speciality restaurants?

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 24th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Captain

NCL charges for: (from memory and just from our perspective)
- room service after hours
- bowling
- certain kids activities
- drink prices seemed higher than other lines, and we bought more than usual
- hard to keep the kids away from the arcade/"skill" games (they're everywhere)
- and the alternate dining, which is kind of "de rigeur" on NCL

Not complaining... we had a good time.... and got sucked into the extra-fee vortex.

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old March 27th, 2014, 09:45 PM
First Mate

I and a group of 17 others was aboard the Adventure. If you did not book air with RCCL you were on your own. They had a few computers and telephones for you to make arraingements, what a mess. No help from any of their staff, just " you will have to contact your airline". throughout the "incident" we were fed tidbits of information about our arrival in San Juan. At midnight Sat we were told we would be dockside at 10:00 a.m. when we awoke at 5:30 a.m. there was a letter on the cabin door that we would be dockside around 12:00 noon. And that flights departing before 2:00 P.M. needed changed and that RCCL would reimberse up $150.00 toward changes for domestic and $250.00 for international flights. American Airlines changes to the U.S.cost $200.00. WE received $300.00 per cabin for 2 missed ports and rescheduled 3 others 2 of which we made. no other compensation was offered. The 23 of march sailing did not leave until the 26th they were compensated 100% of their cruise cost, 25% off of a future cruise and were allowed to complete the shortened cruise at no cost. Royal Caribbean has lost my business and I will not recommend them to anyone. They need to rethink their public image. The ship itself was clean, meals and dining staff very good, the cabin stewards were excellent. RCCL management just screwed up. I felt like a mushroom kept in the dark and fed horse do do.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old March 27th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Admiral

With several thousand people having flight arrangements to all points and on many different airlines, how could RCCL handle everything to everyone's satisfaction? If you book your own flights, they are not and should not be
responsible for booking your flight with the limited amount of staff they have.
The people who booked their air with RCCL will and should be helped first--old story-- someone is first and someone is last and no matter how something is handled, some will be pleased and some will not.
Sounds like you got several hundred dollars " compensation "-- ( that's usually the first thing that pops into peoples mind--meaning of course, how much money will I get? ) and too, sounds like you feel the other folks got
a better deal than you got re/ compensation, so it seems not to sit too well.
Not defending RCCL but things happen--they don't have a crystal ball to forecast everything and even if they did, some would be upset anyway.
I can understand you being frustrated but step back, put yourself in charge and explain how you would handle getting airfare changed for all those people with a limited staff, numerous airlines and little time to do it? And too, keep in mind, there's still the day to day operation of the ship to handle--so, how would you have handled it all in such a short time with so many and made everyone happy?
Not being unsympathetic to your plight but just curious. And as far as never sailing with RCCL again, I understand that too but it won't make a nickels worth of difference to their operation.
When one cruises, sometimes things happen--millions of people cruise every year without a hitch. Sometimes there is a hitch that affects a very minute few of the over all number of people who cruise.
Always plan ahead and try to go in a day early and plan to stay a day late if possible. This helps alleviate problems with air, crowds, etc.
After cruising well over 40 times on several different lines. I know things happen and have experienced it a couple times myself. I dealt with it, have gotten home a day late, missed a few ports, etc. but have had the same thing happen on land vacations, most recently to Hawaii but that's another story.
Sorry for your problems and good luck with what ever line you decide to try.
Old March 27th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi,

I am hoping that everyone arrives safely to their homeports.
According to me NCL deals better more specially for solo traveler.
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:37 PM
First Mate

I guess I was more frustrated by the sporatic information we received. The annoucements about arrival times changed from our original 0600 to 0800 then 1000, announced at midnight, and finally a written notice, Placed on the cabin door in the wee hours of the night ,that we would be dockside at 1200. I fully understand that things happen, if a mechanical system is involved it may malfunction.
Having read about the situation in Galveston and the cruise lines involved. It seems to me that RCCL was behind the eight ball in that one also. Public relations can make or break a company, and RCCL needs a PR upgrade.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"