Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Default Quantum Reveal Coming Up - "Dynamic Dining" to be announced?

This week, Royal Caribbean is hosting a cocktail party 'reveal' in New York for news about the Quantum Of The Seas dining. There will also be a 'live google hangout' on Thursday with Adam Goldstein.

One of the Facebook groups I belong to is for Royal Caribbean fans. Just now, someone booked on the Serenade for 2016 posted an image he has in his online booking about dining. He had selected 'My Time Dining' with the booking. However, his booking has a blurb about 'Dynamic Dining' being his selection, and it mentions how this new 'culinary exploration' is coming on the Quantum and Anthem.

So, two options are presented. One is that MTD is going away and being replaced by 'dynamic dining'. The other is that assigned seatings are going away too, and all dining will be 'dynamic', eventually across the fleet. I know I am speculating with this, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I received an invitation to the event in NYC, but cannot go, but I managed to get Judy Cuervo invited, and so we will have an article about all of this from first-hand experience.

Of course, like most things, by the time the event is over we already have all the details in our hands. Plus I will also be watching online.

I dunno - but is anyone else getting a little exhausted keeping up with all of the "changes" cruise lines do to their product - especially the "new programs" - which are usually just renamed versions of old programs?

We will see if Dynamic Dining is anything uber-revelatory - or if it is just My Time Dining under a different name.
Old March 25th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Admiral

"New And Improved!" dinner menus! Except they still have most of the same things that were on the previous menus, just the format of the menu was changed.

I'm looking forward to the NYC reveal to see if Dynamic Dining is the RCI version of Norwegian's Freestyle dining, or just renaming MTD. If Royal were to totally ditch assigned seatings it certainly would be a 'quantum' shift in their product and likely send many loyalists screaming into the night.
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

I like the set dining options in the main dining room at a set time and can plan my evening knowing what time I am eating. This traditional dining option should still remain for those that need and want it. But this new option sounds exciting and if it offers something that will appeal to the wife and I, then we might select it for when we are on the Anthem next year. If it is the only option, then that could change alot of peoples minds about booking with RCCL. The MTD was another option and not the only option, so this should replace MTD only and not all the options.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 26th, 2014, 12:24 PM
First Mate

Sounds like they a taking a crack at Norwegians freestyle dining, which is very successful.

Next Up NCL Jade
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Admiral

The reveal party in NYC starts at 1pm eastern time today, so news will be trickling out this afternoon and I am waiting for Royal to send out the press release with details.

I found the Norwegian freestyle approach much to my liking, yet there was no lack of those who wanted to dress up for prom pictures and formal dinner. I saw them every night in fact.
Old March 26th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Great:

Another "Open Seating" name to remember. Let's see is it My Time Dining, As You Wish Dining, Your Time Dining, Freestyle Dining, Anytime Dining or Dine Where The Heck You Want Dining?

The cruise lines have been adopting Freestyle to some degree or another ever since Norwegian Cruise Lines introduced it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 26th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post

Another "Open Seating" name to remember. Let's see is it My Time Dining, As You Wish Dining, Your Time Dining, Freestyle Dining, Anytime Dining or Dine Where The Heck You Want Dining?

Take care,
Mike

I was fine with the way things used to be. I hope that they do keep traditional dining for those that want it.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old March 26th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Admiral

I like My time dining it gives you the flexibility of time yet still have the same waiters. After day one I always request the same area with same waiters and many times I get the same table too.

Now how is Dynamic Dining different from My Time? I hope they don't get rid of assigned 1st and 2nd seating there are cruisers that prefer that also.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 26th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Admiral

The official announcement is coming up shortly. I can tell you right now that assigned seatings are not going to happen on the Quantum. There are no 'main dining rooms' on Quantum in the classic sense, at least for dinner. All dining will be by reservation or walk-up, some is 'free' and some will have a fee. Suites will have a private restaurant only they can book.

We'll know more within the hour.
Old March 30th, 2014, 12:51 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
The reveal party in NYC starts at 1pm eastern time today, so news will be trickling out this afternoon and I am waiting for Royal to send out the press release with details.

I found the Norwegian freestyle approach much to my liking, yet there was no lack of those who wanted to dress up for prom pictures and formal dinner. I saw them every night in fact.
To me, the fact that the large MDR has been done away with is the biggest difference between the Dynamic Dining concept and NCL's Freestyle. NCL still has theirs, but of course with no fixed seating and you are right, it is very popular and satisfies those who want to dress up ( or not ). We did eat there once on our Getaway cruise and really enjoyed a dinner with live music and dancing. If RCCL had just kept theirs while adding the other venues, I think there would have been a lot less angst, even with doing away with fixed seatings.

I must say, I kind of like RCCl's concept. The main reason we like the fee venues on NCL is that we get different decor and themes in each, Italian, Steakhouse, etc. RCCl's concept would seem to offer the same opportunity while not having to pay the cover! Of course, basic cruise price is a consideration, and with RCCL's being probably higher, you are really paying those cover fees up front. But, it is enough to make me consider cruising RCCL again.
Old March 30th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

After booking my Anthem of the Seas cruise for 14 days in July 2014, I looked into how much I paid for the last 14 days cruise, which was with Costa. AS RCCL has no flights, I compared them on cruise only and as Costa was in 2012 no need to do an inflation price comparison. Well for the same class of a balcony cabin, Costa was more by 100 per week ($166 per week) so RCCL is a fair price and with all the new Awesome things on this ship including Dynamic Dining and Bumper Cars, it seems good value for money.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:21 AM
First Mate

I read a Q & A somewhere, and it appears that these new venues must be booked ahead and it is Strongly encouraged that you visit All of them. So that really puts a damper on it for me. For those who like regimentation, it may work out. Much better if they had given the Option to reserve or simply walk up spur of the moment and take your chances.