Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2014, 01:21 PM
Captain

Default Formal Night Dress Code

Simple question. What is the minimum acceptable attire for formal night? Going on the Allure next month and I am hoping not to have to wear a suit and/or tie. Can I get away with slacks and a dress shirt? Thanks..
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Dress slacks and a button down shirt with No jacket or tie is perfectly fine and is being seen more and more on formal night.

Have a great cruise!!!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 9th, 2014, 12:05 AM
Familiar Face

I see more and more people dressing casually on formal night. I wear dress slacks and dress shirt on every night in the dining room, and a suit and tie on formal night, but that's just me. I don't get to do that very often and it's a special occaision. The PITA part is packing it and bringing it. The rooms are too small for all the stuff for a family of four, and adding formal wear makes it worse. We still do it.

Sovereign of the Seas (Sept 2002)
Enchantment of the Seas (Sept 2003)
Monarch of the Seas (August 2009)
Monarch of the Seas (April 2011)
Enchantment of the Seas- Port Canaveral (May 2013)
Enchantment of the Seas - (April 2014)
Hope for a BIG ship in 2015! (heck with that, we'll take a small one for 2014!)
Old April 9th, 2014, 12:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

I wore dress shirt and dress pants on Allure formal night. No one in my group of six men wore tie or jacket. We're on vacation.

[url=http://www.cruisingtalk.com]
Next Up NCL Jade

Last edited by TimmyK; April 9th, 2014 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old April 9th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Once Quantum is out, there is a dining room/restaurant that is going to be formal every night and their will be no smart casual allowed. I would be willing to bet as they convert other ships, this idea will become the norm.

Then there will be a choice - if you want formal plus what goes with it such lobster, there will be no choice. Formalwear will be mandatory.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
Once Quantum is out, there is a dining room/restaurant that is going to be formal every night and their will be no smart casual allowed. I would be willing to bet as they convert other ships, this idea will become the norm.

Then there will be a choice - if you want formal plus what goes with it such lobster, there will be no choice. Formalwear will be mandatory.
So if I want lobster on the Quantum, I would be required to dress formally in order to have that option? Just curious about how lobster and formality go together. Does it taste differently if I'm in a tux? I guess those folks up in Maine eating lobster in tee shirts and paper bibs don't know what they are missing!

OK, just messing with you. I do think it is a nice idea to have that sort of venue for those who like to dress up. But I certainly hope cruisers can get lobster somewhere on that ship without having to wear formal attire.
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbuggs View Post
So if I want lobster on the Quantum, I would be required to dress formally in order to have that option? Just curious about how lobster and formality go together. Does it taste differently if I'm in a tux? I guess those folks up in Maine eating lobster in tee shirts and paper bibs don't know what they are missing!

OK, just messing with you. I do think it is a nice idea to have that sort of venue for those who like to dress up. But I certainly hope cruisers can get lobster somewhere on that ship without having to wear formal attire.

I really don't know if it will be available in any other venue but I would be inclined to think yes - but it would be an upcharge. I haven't had time to read everything yet, but I will and if I find out anything, I'll let you know.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 9th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbuggs View Post

You will be able to get Lobster in the American Icon restaurant and it is casual or smart casual.
Old April 9th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Isn't this why there is Crystal Cruise Line and Silverseas? These are for people who want to be formal 24/7. RCI/NCL/Carnival should have option for formal; and I stress Option. If I take a vacation I should be able to dress how I want. I wear a coat and tie at work everyday; for me casual is the way to go on vacation.

[url=http://www.cruisingtalk.com]
Next Up NCL Jade
Old April 9th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyK View Post
Isn't this why there is Crystal Cruise Line and Silverseas? These are for people who want to be formal 24/7. RCI/NCL/Carnival should have option for formal; and I stress Option. If I take a vacation I should be able to dress how I want. I wear a coat and tie at work everyday; for me casual is the way to go on vacation.
On the Quantum and Anthem you can do casual every night if you wish. Dynamic Dining offers you that option. If you want to go formal that's your choice. Something for Royal.
Old April 10th, 2014, 04:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

I and the wife enjoy the formal nights and on the Anthem we will do at least two formal nights but we get to choose which night. I like this idea, as if you have had a busy shore day, rushing to get changed for dinner is a flaff. But we can now pick sea days to have formal and relax in the afternoons.
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausPud View Post
I and the wife enjoy the formal nights and on the Anthem we will do at least two formal nights but we get to choose which night. I like this idea, as if you have had a busy shore day, rushing to get changed for dinner is a flaff. But we can now pick sea days to have formal and relax in the afternoons.
We enjoy formal nights also. We are doing two formal nights and they are both on sea days. Great idea.