CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   San Juan...What to do??? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/401756-san-juan-what-do.html)

thecruisequeen April 3rd, 2014 06:57 PM

San Juan...What to do???

For those that have been to San Juan what are some good excursions to do?? My ship is only in port from 8 to 2.

Is there any shopping area when you get off the ship? anything to do there?

Anyone do the zipline there??

I was in San Juan awhile ago and remember walking down to carlos and charlies for a bit. Don't remember if there where any stores nearby the ship.:oops:

Thanks! :D

seadog2 April 3rd, 2014 07:58 PM

The rain forest is really nice but I don't think there will be time to see it. It is some distance from the pier. If I remember correctly that excursion was like 5 hours. You could visit the fort or walk through Old San Juan. I'm not sure why but RCI always has a very short stay in San Juan. Wish it could be a little longer.

Trip April 3rd, 2014 08:37 PM

Fortaleza Street is the main shopping street, where like in most ports, you'll find the good, the bad, and the ugly...Oddly I found Marshalls there...lol

If you are there on a Saturday, there used to be a flea market right by the fountain in the square near the ships. There are also pushcarts that dot the hill, as you walk up to the mains shopping area. Here's a tast of what you will see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kERj1PncLI

I did an island tour once I really enjoyed, as it took you around old town, then up to the art deco area, and away from the crowds..

The fort is also an option, but I found it a snooze to be honest.

SausPud April 4th, 2014 05:40 AM

Best trip I did in San Juan, was the Bacardi tour. Had free drinks to taste all the lovely fruit flavours. Saw the history and how it's all made. If you like Rum and want to know more, this tour is brilliant. The wife isn't really a big rum drinker but even she enjoyed it. The gift shop is great for getting Bacardi stuff not available in any other shops.

Donna April 4th, 2014 08:12 AM

You can take a walk up to El Morro, some great views and you pass all kinds of shops on the way, or you can take the trolley up there..

thecruisequeen April 4th, 2014 04:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestions my fellow Cruisemates! ;)

I see Royal offers two Rainforest tours that are about 5 hours and start at 7:30am. Ship gets in at 7am not 8am. 7:30 is alittle to early so I'll pass on those but they look like cool tours. The 7am to 2pm stop in San Juan is too short!! :mad:

In the running is the Barcardi tour and Old and New San Juan tour which includes the Fort which acutally looks boring...:-?

I also found San Juan city and beach by Bike tour.....12 mile bike ride with some great stops. Don't know if I have to be Lance Armstrong in Tour De France or is this a relaxed leisure bike ride...:confused::):pLOLLOL

I will book tonight can't wait any longer along with a pre cruise hotel or else I'll be sleeping at the airport. :shock::-|LOL

Thanks again All!! 8-)

Trip April 4th, 2014 04:22 PM

Everybody has different tastes, that's a good thing...but we thought the Bacardi tour was a zzz....it was part of a post cruise excursion we did when we had a late flight.

ship2shore April 4th, 2014 10:26 PM

Somehow I think CruiseQueen can make sleeping at the airport FUN....roflrofl

Trip April 5th, 2014 08:14 AM

Yup.... I would have to agree with that!!

storybookcruises.com April 5th, 2014 02:21 PM

Unlike others, I think the Bacardi Rum Tour was a waste of time and money. Yes, you do get a couple of free drinks at the end, but all 4 of us thought the tour was boring and sterile. It gives you alot of information, but the presentation by the staff was dull and uninteresting. It reminded us of the tour we did at the chocolate factory in Hershey, which was equally dry and boring.

We've done other rum tours, like the Mont Gay distillery in Barbados that was much more interesting and less regimented.

Just my opinion on that one.

But I do agree with others that the rain forest and El Morro are a couple of interesting places to see.

Pete

thecruisequeen April 5th, 2014 05:26 PM

I did research on youtube :p and the Bacardi tour looks boring so that is out. I don't drink Rum in the morning/afternoon anyways.

One of my favorite excursions zipline is out since seeing on youtube the zipline in San Juan has elevated bridges so that is out. I like 100% pure zipline no obstacle courses thrown in.

Can't find any info on line about the bike tour.

On the bright side booked all other excursions now just have San Juan left.
And booked the pre cruise hotel. 8-)

Thanks everyone!!

thecruisequeen April 5th, 2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1498092)
Fortaleza Street is the main shopping street, where like in most ports, you'll find the good, the bad, and the ugly...Oddly I found Marshalls there...lol

Where is Fortaleza street is this by the port? walkable? :-P

I need the "San Juan for Dummies" handbook :oops::p:-o

storybookcruises.com April 5th, 2014 07:08 PM

The main part of Old Town is not that far from the pier - a few blocks at most.

Couple of places you might want to look at; one is The Doll House - cute store, plus there's a guy in there that hand rolls cigars that are awesome. And when you walk out the door, cross the street, go to the right, and there's a store (can't remember the name) that sells micro fiber table cloths and napkins. Take the measurement of your dining room table with you. The hardest part is finding one you don't like! Wonderful products and great prices.

There are also some good restaurants around - there's even a Senior Frogs if you just want funky!

Pete

thecruisequeen April 6th, 2014 12:31 AM

Thanks Pete!

Since there are really no excursions in San Juan that I'm willing to book for one reason or the other... I will just make it a more relaxed day without an excursion and just exit the ship walk around shop and stop into Senor Frogs and make sure everyone in there is behaving...:rolleyes::-P:twisted:

I thought that was Carlos and Charlies in port yep it's senor frog.

And I need a new tablecloth anyways my current one is very winterish looking need to have a summery colorful one. :p8-)

Note to Royal......7 to 2 port hours are too short!! :-|

storybookcruises.com April 6th, 2014 12:57 PM

Those micro-fiber tablecloths are wonderful! We bought an 8' one with 12 napkins for about $35 years ago and it still looks new after all those family Thanksgiving/Christmas and special occasion dinners! Everyone is always commending on how pretty it is. We've actually bought several others and given them away as gifts - people love them! Great thing is they wash up great and you don't have to iron them! Just wish I could remember the name, but as I said, find The Doll House and as you come out of that store, walk across the street, turn right, and it's down about 3 or 4 doors on the same block.

Good luck!

Pete

thecruisequeen April 6th, 2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise planner (Post 1498203)
Great thing is they wash up great and you don't have to iron them! Just wish I could remember the name, but as I said, find The Doll House and as you come out of that store, walk across the street, turn right, and it's down about 3 or 4 doors on the same block.

They wash up great and NO ironing!! I'm sold!
The Doll House...what a cute name for a store....I'll easily remember that...then it's across the street to the right. I'll find it!

When I'm on a shopping mission I always find what I'm looking for! :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Thanks Pete!

storybookcruises.com April 6th, 2014 06:42 PM

I finally found the name and address of the place;

Linen House

250 Calle Fortaleza
San Juan, 00901
Puerto Rico

Cathy100 April 6th, 2014 09:13 PM

Having been to San Juan many times now, we did the Horse Drawn Carriage tour and then headed to Senor Frogs!!!!!!!!!!! Also, a good day to stay on the ship!!

thecruisequeen April 8th, 2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy100 (Post 1498226)
the Horse Drawn Carriage

The sounds like fun....Is that something you did through a cruiseline or on your own?

thecruisequeen April 8th, 2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise planner (Post 1498218)
I finally found the name and address of the place;

Linen House

250 Calle Fortaleza
San Juan, 00901
Puerto Rico

Awesome! 8-)

Manuel April 11th, 2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy100 (Post 1498226)
Having been to San Juan many times now, we did the Horse Drawn Carriage tour and then headed to Senor Frogs!!!!!!!!!!! Also, a good day to stay on the ship!!

We did the horse drawn carriage a couple of times. Last time we just shopped for a bit and went back to the ship.

TM