Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Familiar Face

Default Embark, Disembark and Breakfast times :)

Hi All,

Might seem silly but as ive never cruised, just had a thought....

When we get on the Ship...ive read you have to leave your luggage and they take to the ship for you...can i just carry my own on?

Also on the final disembark day, will anywhere be open for a last breakfast? Im on the Majesty of the Seas and it says its back in 7am. Is there a "check out time" of the rooms? Can we leave our cases in room (as id rather carry my own case!) have breakfast then go leave the ship?

Not sure how it all works im afraid.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcruising View Post
Hi All,

Might seem silly but as ive never cruised, just had a thought....

When we get on the Ship...ive read you have to leave your luggage and they take to the ship for you...can i just carry my own on?

Also on the final disembark day, will anywhere be open for a last breakfast? Im on the Majesty of the Seas and it says its back in 7am. Is there a "check out time" of the rooms? Can we leave our cases in room (as id rather carry my own case!) have breakfast then go leave the ship?

Not sure how it all works im afraid.

Thanks
If your luggage will not fit through an "airport" sized scanner you will not be able to take it on yourself. Actually the ones at the port are usually a bit smaller than the airport scanners.

Yes: The buffet and, on many ships, the dining room is open for breakfast. Just be prepared to get there early. (6:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.)

They will want you out of the cabin around 8:00 a.m.. You can wait in a lounge or other area until your luggage color is called. (you receive luggage tags on the last night of the cruise.)

There is also self-disembarkation where you just carry all of your luggage off. These are usually the first to be called and it could be quite early. If you can easily handle your luggage this may be the way to go.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks Mike for the quick and detailed Answer.

Our cases will be full size big suitcases so im going to have to check them in. Will they drop in our cabin? Like to carry my own when i can.

Ah i see how it works now i thought if i self embarked i could walk off when i wanted. But i guess if that happened it would be a free for all leaving.

How do i get my cases after we are of the ship back in port?

Thanks again.
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I usually try to find the cabin person, most likely, they are around already working to ready cabins, I let them know, to go ahead and start on cabin that we are just leaving a bag or two until after breakfast...

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcruising View Post
Thanks Mike for the quick and detailed Answer.

Our cases will be full size big suitcases so im going to have to check them in. Will they drop in our cabin? Like to carry my own when i can.

Ah i see how it works now i thought if i self embarked i could walk off when i wanted. But i guess if that happened it would be a free for all leaving.

How do i get my cases after we are of the ship back in port?

Thanks again.
On some cruise lines you can self disembark whenever you wish. I'm not sure about Royal Caribbean. Your luggage will be dropped at your cabin door sometime before dinner. Usually it's an hour or two after you board.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 14th, 2014, 02:26 PM
First Mate

You have two choices- if you want them to disembark your luggage, you put it outside your room ( locked) before midnight on the last night. Sometime during the night they will take it down to be offloaded. You will be assigned 'color tags ' a couple of days before, and on the last morning, they will start making announcements-
"those with green luggage tags may now depart from the gangway on deck 2" etc- you will go through customs with your declaration, then out to a large customs hall where you will look for your luggage in the green section, then you can go.
Guest services can tell you by the color tag you have ,which time slot is allotted to you. If you want a later/earlier time just ask them to change it...
If you want to do the self assist then just hang onto your luggage.
Those doing self assist will be the first group called to disembark- they will
just announce when you can leave. You have to take your own luggage down on elevators to the gangway, walk through customs with it, give your declaration form to the customs official and then you can go... it's not exactly a free for all, but you might have to wait for an elevator for a while.

The windjammer is open for breakfast on the last am up until around 9.am IIRC.
Old April 15th, 2014, 05:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

We done the self disembarkation on Oasis last year. First time doing this as normal we don't get a choice and have our bags taken off for us and then go finding the colour section as explained very well above.
When we took our own bags off, the times for first call was between 7am - 8:30am then everyone with colours would be leaving. What actually happened is that we strolled off around 9:30am, no real queue, about 20 people and it was such a breeze.
Let the stewards bring you bags on as its easier walking around finding your cabin without having to carry luggage with you. Then it all depends on how quick you NEED to get off the ship when you return. Example, if flights are in the afternoon, then let them take the bags off.
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Another thing to consider about how much stuff you carry aboard with you on embarkation day - Royal Caribbean does not open cabins to the passengers until 1pm or so (I've also seen 1:30pm as the availability time). Thus if you are laden with suitcases you'll have to schlep them around if you board the ship before the open cabin time. We usually board early and only have our carry-on roller bags, and even those are a bit of a pain to handle as we head to the Windjammer for lunch and then wait for the cabin opening in some other public area.

Also, since you are going on the Majesty Of The Seas it is either a 3 or a 4 night cruise. How much luggage are you planning to take? I easily do those short cruises with just my airline-legal carry-on bag and a small satchel.
Old April 15th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Also don't pack your valuables or medications in your checked luggage. I usually carry a backpack with that stuff in it. I check all my luggage at the pier and only carry my backpack on the ship.
Old April 16th, 2014, 03:24 AM
Admiral

Try not to worry about disembarkation, there will be plenty of instructions, both in your daily "newsletter", on the in-cabin TV, and PA announcements.
have a great first cruise!

donna