Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am in agreement with Dave. Airfare costs are a big deterrent for people flying to Asia. Even more of a deterrent is the duration of the flights. As I get older I am having more problems with a twelve to sixteen hour flight. Ten years ago it didn't bother me, but on my last trip to Singapore the flight from Tokyo to Singapore seemed endless.

There are many American's that do not like to fly nor do they feel they want to go somewhere that requires a passport. Flying and having a passport have been part of my life since I was eighteen years old so I have no problem with it.

The people who will have the biggest problem with the "new" ships going to somewhere other than America are the long time cruisers who have been used to getting the first shot at the newbuilds.

There are also a lot of half-truths about Asia. Yes: There are some parts that are dirty and not too fun to go to but there are MANY cities, countries and areas that would put American cities to shame. Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai are just a few. Singapore is not my favorite city in Asia and one of the reasons is that it seems too "sterile". The Hawker Stalls or Food Centers were my favorite thing in Singapore because they gave you a true feel of Asian food and culture. Most of the other sites and restaurants in Singapore reminded me of high end restaurants in Chicago or New York.

I still love Hong Kong because you can find the real neighborhoods. Here you can shop with the locals, eat in their restaurants and have a great time.

Of any area I love Asia more than Europe. There are still many parts of Asia that are not "Westernized". Europe is becoming more America with old architecture and less foreign.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 19th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen View Post
Meds cruises are still popular. For myself though I would not take a Meds cruise just because I like to stay in a city for more then one day and stay and in the cities I want to stay in. Unless there is a ship that has this Itinerary...Milan, Venice, Split, Dubrovnik, Zagreb, Koprivnica. I prefer Italy/Croatia by land not ship.

I agree completely with you Cruisequeen.

As a native European who was transplanted to the USA, when I visit Europe, I like to pick the cities that I visit and length of time that I devote to each city.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old April 19th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyK View Post
You seem a little upset and frustrated with Americans. I am sorry to hear that. I travel for a living and have been to every continent except Antartica; I've been to over two hundred countries, and can't count how many cities I've visited. I have never had a problem with language barrier, or making friends. When people hear you're from America, they seem to go out of their way to make sure you are welcome. So please don't slam americans for being closed minded. I've been to Asia so many times, it doesn't make sense for me to cruise over there;; I have plenty of pictures and souvenirs from all over Asia. Thanks for listening

I am frustrated. So many don't seem to comprehend and that goes for management/posters here, everything that is said American's will have to do now - get a passport/visa, fly - everyone else in the world is already doing to take cruises from the U.S. My question is - why shouldn't American's join the rest of the world and realize they have to do those things too if they want the Quantum or any other new ship that gets sent elsewhere.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 19th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Felix, your displeasure with us seems to be a tad over the top....Getting back to the main issue. This subject would not be taking place if RCI had not lead cruisers down the rabbit hole. Had they decided to send the Quantum to Asia, or anywhere else for that matter, from the get go, this would be a moot point.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 19th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Felix, your displeasure with us seems to be a tad over the top....Getting back to the main issue. This subject would not be taking place if RCI had not lead cruisers down the rabbit hole. Had they decided to send the Quantum to Asia, or anywhere else for that matter, from the get go, this would be a moot point.

No Trip - it isn't. While RCI may have changed their minds in mid-stream, the fact that (some) American's are complaining about what the rest of the world has always done is pathetic. We have to have a passport,, we have to fly, the only thing we really have in common, we speak English. I see nothing over the top about being frustrated with those who complain about things we've always had to do.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 19th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Admiral

I have to agree with the others...airfare becomes a big issue since airfares are high to begin with. Then depending on how many cruisers in the party....A solo or couple not too bad now get the middle class family with a couple of kids and fly to Asia to cruise?? Airfare I'm thinking is at least over $1,000. pp then the cruise fare then spending $ now you are talking thousands of dollars for a cruise.

However the United States are not the only people in the big world cruising. There are cruisers outside of the U.S.

As for language English is known and spoken all around the world. I never had an issue with language in Italy and I don't speak italian.

I do think Quantum was built for american cruisers and was going to be home to Bayonne for a long time however things happen things change so for the best of business Royal made some switches.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 19th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:

I do think Quantum was built for american cruisers and was going to be home to Bayonne for a long time however things happen things change so for the best of business Royal made some switches.

I agree with that statement, and I still love Royal.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Old April 19th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I still love Royal.

TM
Me too!!! As long as my cruise experiences remain the same (Awesome) Royal is stuck with me!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 19th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Captain

I don't think the ships sailing from Asian homeports are intended to be marketed to Westerners. If we book, they'll take our money, but that's not in the Grand Plan.....

(Betcha the cruisers on these (yes, these) ships will start whining about being outnumbered by Asians in no time...)

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old April 19th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Familiar Face

Default Bye Bye to Quantum

We hoped to sail on Quantum some day.
But New York is a long way from Arizona.
And now, It won't be happening if they are leaving for China.
Wish the West coast had more Royal Caribbean Ships.
We have flown all over the world to cruise, but after 30 years of cruising, less flying is more desirable.

Going on 30th cruise in 2 weeks.
Back to the Allure we go.
Old April 20th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Anthem of the Seas will be my second no fly cruise. So 80% of the time I have had to fly. When I done Oasis last year, the flight was £1,200 and the cruise £750. But we still went as we love going to America and the Caribbean. People are great, food and culture are great.
But also I do other cruises to places you wouldn't normally like Spitzbergen, the most northern town in the world. It's were all the North Pole expeditions start from. I like exploring new places and cruising is best for that. If there is a place that I really love, then we go back for a week land stay.
The comments about Europe "I would not take a Meds cruise just because I like to stay in a city for more then one day and stay in the cities I want to stay in." Then cruising isn't right for you anywhere in the world as you only (normally with the except few stops that buck this trend) stay in any port for one day.
It's like me saying the Caribbean is a waste of time as you only visit the islands for one day and not visit the islands I want to.

Need some cruise help?
Old April 20th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausPud View Post
The comments about Europe "I would not take a Meds cruise just because I like to stay in a city for more then one day and stay in the cities I want to stay in." Then cruising isn't right for you anywhere in the world as you only (normally with the except few stops that buck this trend) stay in any port for one day.
It's like me saying the Caribbean is a waste of time as you only visit the islands for one day and not visit the islands I want to.

The Caribbean Islands you can enjoy for a day. Some of those Islands are only a few square miles. Also I do enjoy spending time on the ships that I cruise on.
In Europe there is much culture and activities to experience and participate in, not to mention the night life.
Since I can drive to several ports it's also easier to take a Caribbean cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Old April 20th, 2014, 03:23 PM
First Mate

Hey Felix American's have to have passports for almost every cruise. And most of us have to fly or drive a long distance to go on a cruise! Your bashing of Americans is getting old.

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Old April 20th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
SP - When you have roots, family and friends overseas doing a cruise and getting one stop 9 to 5 in that country does not cut it. I need more time in certain cities to enjoy family and friends. So for this reason always have done a trip by land not ship.

A caribbean cruise I have no relatives there and that type of cruise is just for relaxing sitting on the beach and/or tours (zip lining, atv etc. etc.) and enjoying the ship.
At this point it does not matter which island which beach they all look the same at this point.

And I agree with Mike's post above. With each birthday that passes I get less and less interested in long flights. These days I start getting fidgety during a 3 hour flight to Florida.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 20th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
The Caribbean Islands you can enjoy for a day. Some of those Islands are only a few square miles. Also I do enjoy spending time on the ships that I cruise on.
In Europe there is much culture and activities to experience and participate in, not to mention the night life.

TM
So true! I agree!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 20th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

CQ agree with your comment on having family/friends in a place a port of call isn't enough time to visit. I wouldn't cruise and travel differently to visit them. To explore a new country, then cruising is a great way to see alot of countries/places without the hassle of travel etc.
Your original comments didn't explain the details of your point but now does and makes sense.
I have done the west, middle and east Mediterranean and still going back next year and seeing new ports and places. So much to offer and see out there that it is worth the flights.

Need some cruise help?
Old April 20th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Flight length is an issue with me too. My back and legs will not put up with coach seats for anything longer than 3 hours or so. Anything longer and I have to go business or first or I am miserable by the time I arrive. I have to have the extra leg room and more comfortable seat. So, I am not going to fly coach to Europe, Asia, or Australia. Ain't gonna happen. It's my problem, but it still means I'm not flying to China just to take a mainstream cruise. If I'm dropping major money on the air, I'm going lux line all the way, and since they often offer business air specials as part of the cruise, well, that makes it a lot simpler to choose. RCI certainly isn't going to do that with their Choice Air.

Ship2shore is correct - they'll take my money for the Quantum out of China, but it'll be a 'do you really understand what you are getting into' thing, meaning I'd best brush up on my Mandarin even to order room service.
Old April 20th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
CQ agree with your comment on having family/friends in a place a port of call isn't enough time to visit. I wouldn't cruise and travel differently to visit them. To explore a new country, then cruising is a great way to see alot of countries/places without the hassle of travel etc.
Your original comments didn't explain the details of your point but now does and makes sense.
I have done the west, middle and east Mediterranean and still going back next year and seeing new ports and places. So much to offer and see out there that it is worth the flights.
Yes my original post was not detailed. Sometimes I try to make my posts shorter however then that does leave out details and point I'm trying to make.

I would love to see more of Europe by Land or Ship. Sometimes work gets in the way and taking more then a week off from work becomes a problem. Retirement is looking better and better.....

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 20th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Admiral

I also agree with Ship2Shore!! Companies are always ready to take consumers money!!

And now that they will "Asianize" Quantum they will most likely shuffle some crew members around.

I have a feeling newly appointed to Quantum Cruise Director Jimmy Rhodes will complete the Bayonne run then will be replaced by Lixin Fang.

Jimmy Rhodes

Lixin Fang

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 20th, 2014, 10:49 PM
First Mate

It would be cool if they rotated all the ships around. But it not logistically possible. I would love to have different ships to choose from sailing out of NYC every winter. A 12 - 14 N Allure or Oasis cruise to the Caribbean! But all ships can't sail to all ports So many of the ships visit the same ports. I think there is a big need to add ports!!!

Somebody mentioned a private island on the west side of Mexico. I think that a great idea. There is so much they could do with these private islands. I would love to have a luau at night on the beach! (with GOOD FOOD ) But most times the ships leave port before sunset...

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Old April 20th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Admiral

The Chinese have taken away our jobs and our money and now they are taking away our cruise ships.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Old April 20th, 2014, 11:14 PM
Captain

You can bet your butt the smoking rules would have to be GREATLY re-worked for the Asian market....

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old April 20th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
You can bet your butt the smoking rules would have to be GREATLY re-worked for the Asian market....

We can sell them American tobacco.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Old April 21st, 2014, 12:14 AM
Admiral

First off, I think people are underestimating the affluence of a growing number of professional people in China, as well as South Korea and Japan.
Both S. Korea and Japan are within a few hours flying distance to Shanghai.
Do not many people fly , both from abroad and from the U.S and Canada to cruise from Miami or Lauderdale? Sure they do.
Re / where RCCL places it's ships, Felix, I don't think any Americans will take to the streets to protest because RCCl decided to position a ship in another country--it's their ship-it's their gamble so let them have at it.
I think you over -react to people simply stating their displeasure with RCCl's decision to put the ship in China, especially after a lot of people had already
went through the process of scheduling vacations for certain times, making deposits on a cruise they thought they were going to be on, looking forward to same, etc, only to have RCCL change horses in mid -stream and screw a lot of folks up in their plans.
As to Americans getting passports, traveling abroad, etc etc, I think that's a slap you didn't have to make. Americans have for years been one of the most traveled groups of people in the world. No need to be insulting toward us --it's ok not to like us if that's what you want--by the way, do you vacation to the south or do you head north in the winter ?
Personally I've had a passport for many many years, have been to Europe a couple of times, to Brazil, Argentina, most everywhere in Central America, ( not counting Vietnam, as that was a freebie not requiring a passport )---heck, I've even been to Canada.
So it would be polite to not infer that Americans are spoiled, don't have passports, are out of step with the rest of the worked, etc.
My opinion only, so feel free to hammer it but don't do the hammering because I'm American.
Thanks
OH, by the way--I have a Chinese friend who is a Phd--in the last 3 years he has been returning to China to teach at a large University there. He comes back home during the summer for a couple of months and then goes back to China.--he is going to move back--he makes more money there than he did here, has a 2 bedroom -2 bath apt. furnished to him, has health care and pays no rent--can ride a motor scooter to work for a few cents a day , and at the end of another 7 years, the apt will be his to live in as long as he wants--point being, as I said earlier, there are a number of affluent people emerging in Asia--so the U.S. and Canada aren't the only ones who can afford to cruise these days.
Old April 21st, 2014, 12:45 AM
Captain

You know what? I wanted to try the Quantum and was a little bummed they decided to move it. But there are so many other good ships who cares? Pick another one, sail her, enjoy her and focus on family and friends. That's it, enough said!
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old April 21st, 2014, 06:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum13 View Post
Somebody mentioned a private island on the west side of Mexico. I think that a great idea. There is so much they could do with these private islands. I would love to have a luau at night on the beach! (with GOOD FOOD ) But most times the ships leave port before sunset...

Quantum has an Itinerary in January that has her in Labadee in the over night hours. Wonder what the plans would be for Labadee on that sailing? A luau? Have Absolute 20/20 nightclub on Labadee that night with the DJ? Have the 70's party on Labadee? I hope they are not planning nothing for Labadee in the night hours and keep Labadee dark.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 21st, 2014, 06:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy View Post
You know what? I wanted to try the Quantum and was a little bummed they decided to move it. But there are so many other good ships who cares? Pick another one, sail her, enjoy her and focus on family and friends. That's it, enough said!
You can still try Quantum if you want she will be in the states for about 4 months if you are willing to fly to Newark.

After that there will always be Anthem.

With all the ship in Royal's fleet there is a ship class for everyone out there.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 21st, 2014, 06:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Forbes Magazine: The average annual household income in China, converted to dollars, was $10,220, compared with $84,300 in the United States.
Depends where you live in the United States....$84,300 feels like $10,200 in some cities.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 21st, 2014, 11:10 AM
First Mate

Quote:
You can still try Quantum if you want she will be in the states for about 4 months if you are willing to fly to Newark.

After that there will always be Anthem.

With all the ship in Royal's fleet there is a ship class for everyone out there.
I agree with you; there is a ship and itinerary to fit everyone's taste and desire.

Next Up NCL Jade
Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
As to Americans getting passports, traveling abroad, etc etc, I think that's a slap you didn't have to make. Americans have for years been one of the most traveled groups of people in the world.
Just to back you up Ron and to shed some light on our fellow travellers from China and Europe.
Quote:
Money is a very good predictor of travel. It was estimated that in 2009, German travelers shelled out a whopping $80.8 billion while outside their country, followed by the United States ($73.1 billion), the United Kingdom ($48.5 billion), China ($43.7 billion) and France ($38.9 billion). Rounding out the top ten were Italy, Japan, Canada, Russia, and the Netherlands.
Although these figures are from 2009, it does show what we were all saying.
In 2011 the UK spent $250 million on cruising alone and that's not all from UK ports, so we travel very well to other countries to cruise from. It isn't something new to us and travelling to the China Seas to cruise, wouldn't bother us either.

Need some cruise help?