CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Royal Caribbean vs David Beckham (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/402252-royal-caribbean-vs-david-beckham.html)

Trip May 16th, 2014 05:05 PM

Royal Caribbean vs David Beckham

Now this match up will be interesting to see who wins.....

Royal Caribbean Tries to Block David Beckham's Soccer Stadium : Cruise Law News

Dave Beers May 16th, 2014 05:44 PM

I'd think the added traffic would be a pain, as well as the infrastructure and security issues. Royal Caribbean has been there for a long time, although the lawyer makes it sound like they just built their offices there in recent years, almost like they are there just to be annoying. It's no secret in the industry that "Cruise Law" doesn't like Richard Fain and the feeling is mutual, hence the hit piece.

storybookcruises.com May 16th, 2014 06:40 PM

I agree with Dave that Jim Walker is so anti-anything to do with the cruise industry, it's not a surprise he would slant the story against RCCL.

Not trying to be on one side or the other, but knowing the area, I also agree that putting a stadium there would be more of a nightmare for everyone. Not just traffic to/from the port and stadium, but for everyday commuters. There are no major thoroughfares that can handle the traffic and it would cause huge problems. It would make much more sense, not to mention much cheaper, to build it out where the other stadiums are (baseball & football).

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

But I definitely had to laugh at the mayor's comments about it being up to the people of Miami to make the decision. We all know that politicians do what's best for them, not what's best for the people.

Pete

Trip May 16th, 2014 06:46 PM

I do agree that he does not favor the cruise lines, but, this will be interesting. I tried to find something in the Miami Herald abouth this but couldn't..Stay tuned, I bet they will...:)

Matelot May 16th, 2014 08:34 PM

An article from yesterday - Referendum appears increasingly likely for David Beckham’s proposed Miami soccer stadium - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

and the day before-
PolitiFact: Will soccer stadium threaten existing PortMiami jobs? - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

Donna May 16th, 2014 08:35 PM

I am sure that almost everything has to do with the might dollar, same case here. Really, now, is there other place to put stadium?

thecruisequeen May 16th, 2014 10:19 PM

:idea:Royal can have an excursion to include a tour of the soccer stadium and meet Beckham. They can get at the very least $99.pp. for that tour. :p:p:p:p:p

storybookcruises.com May 16th, 2014 11:39 PM

The one article talked about the minor economical impact of the stadium, if any, and that a commercially viable entity would be better for the city, so I can only wonder why they don't build a couple of nice hotels and a shopping center. Not only would this benefit the city, but the thousands of cruisers that arrive almost every day would be able to stay near the port and have a place to spend some money. Everybody wins. But hey, what do I know. Problem is, that makes sense and as we all know, we can't have any of that because, in the end, it's all about politics.

Pete

Mike M May 17th, 2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise planner (Post 1500512)
The one article talked about the minor economical impact of the stadium, if any, and that a commercially viable entity would be better for the city, so I can only wonder why they don't build a couple of nice hotels and a shopping center. Not only would this benefit the city, but the thousands of cruisers that arrive almost every day would be able to stay near the port and have a place to spend some money. Everybody wins. But hey, what do I know. Problem is, that makes sense and as we all know, we can't have any of that because, in the end, it's all about politics.

Pete

This is just what Fain and the other cruise lines want. A soccer stadium does almost nothing for the cruise lines. Hotels and retail would have a heavy, positive impact for the cruise lines.

The "traffic" issue is basically a non-issue. There would only be about 20 games a season and they would be on a Saturday night. This would not impact traffic for cruise ships that usually arrive in the morning and leave in the late afternoon. Passengers are on board by 3:00 or 3:30 p.m.. Long before game traffic would start.

Miami is in "Stadium Shell Shock" after the Tropicana Stadium debacle. Stadiums are a hard sell and Beckham is going about it right by using private money vs. tax dollars to build the stadium.

If they build along Biscayne Blvd. It would be a nightmare if American Airlines arena and the soccer stadium had games on the same night. It's a madhouse, in regard to traffic, when the Heat play. Add a soccer game on top of that then you really have a traffic problem. This would be of minimal impact to cruisers but would greatly effect the downtown area.

From my cruising perspective. I would love to have a couple more hotel options near the port but, if I was a Miami citizen, I would be in favor of the port for a downtown soccer stadium. Also, I believe soccer will go over big in Miami.

Take care,
Mike

ship2shore May 19th, 2014 12:41 PM

Aren't soccer matches usually scheduled for Saturday (and Sunday) afternoons? I can see major problems with traffic... people missing their ships... that sort of thing.

Dave Beers May 31st, 2014 12:46 PM

Looks like the score is Richard Fain 1, David Beckham 0. Beckham's bid to bring soccer, stadium to Miami taking political and business header | Fox News

storybookcruises.com May 31st, 2014 02:05 PM

Interesting, but not unexpected.

I still think if they got their heads out of their a.....s and start developing that area with hotels, shops, and restaurants, they could make it into a wonderful business neighborhood. It would be very inviting to the thousands of cruisers who arrive every day to spend the night before a cruise. If done right, they could make alot more money than they could with a soccer stadium that would only be used occasionally.

JMHO.

Pete

Dave Beers May 31st, 2014 02:57 PM

"PortMiami Hotel And Resort". I like it! Have a tram that takes guests around to the ships on embarkation day, perhaps check in luggage at the hotel for transfer to the ships, etc.

storybookcruises.com May 31st, 2014 03:19 PM

An automatic tram would be perfect!

I think they're really 'missing the boat', so to speak by not coming up with such a plan. If they designed it properly with lighted walkways, great landscaping, sidewalk cafes, etc, they could make that space really special.

But hey, they don't ask me for my opinion!

Pete

Dave Beers June 10th, 2014 11:18 PM

And now it appears that the Mayor of Miami-Dade has given a red card to David Beckham. The Latest Story