Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Chinese people on Quantum of the Seas

So, watching the entertainment presentation about Quantum of the Seas I started thinking "how is this going to work in China?"

So I started doing research and here is what I found: Getting a sense of Chinese humour | http://gbtimes.com/

It says...

The Chinese may sound like a tough audience, but younger generations are beginning to warm to stand-up style, albeit with a Chinese twist. As the number of super-rich increase in China, there are also more and more jokes that are easy for Europeans to understand. For example:

Chinese son: “Dad, I have a problem. I just came to Germany, but I can't seem to fit in. I am the only kid in my class who drives a Benz to school. My classmates take the train.”
Chinese father: “It's okay, I just transferred five million euros to your account. Go buy a train.”

Jokes such as this are using the second generation of super-rich as the basis for more humour. It seems that the children of extremely wealthy parents, whose behaviour is coming under increased public criticism, is becoming a goldmine for comedians.

Later it says Chinese people do not like physical comedy - especially from women, it is unladylike....

So, how will they react to Mama Mia - a whole show IN ENGLISH about a girl searching for her father. Will they even understand it? I doubt it.
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well Paul, your doubts are unfounded.
Mamma Mia has been translated and been a hit show in China since 2011. Time Out article here for you to read: The success of Mamma Mia! - Performing Arts - Time Out - Shanghai
Also the tour version of Mamma Mia is doing Hong Kong in English and Chinese. Booking details here: MAMMA MIA! The Global Smash Hit - Tickets - Hong Kong

All of this wouldn't be done if bums were not on seats. So if the Chinese wouldn't take to RCCL entertainment, why is this show starting the trend of in China.

I believe that RCCL shows will go down very well all over the world for everyone from USA, Europe (multi language) and Asia. Your research needs to be better as this info took me seconds to find (thanks Google) and we in Europe are not so narrow minded on other cultures.

I watched the Hangout live (with you as I could see your questions being asked and they were good ones to ask, but RCCL could have been there for hours just answering questions) and I took from it; WOW Two70 is going to be amazing with the robot screens and 3d video projection hologram type things. Also Wink and Gatsby sound like I want to know more.

I did expect something more from you Paul than a near racist comment (well wrote just enough NOT to be racist) but sorry I have to correct you and this is how we learn.
Old June 12th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks Sauspud...

I didn't realize the 2 1/2-hour full Broadway version of Mama Mia they plan to show on Quantum is going to be translated to Chinese. I appreciate the information and I'll watch my reporting from now on.

Oh wait - it's NOT going to be translated.

Have you ever sat through 2 1/2 hours of Chinese Opera?
Old June 12th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

That's ok Paul, just don't want people taking it the wrong way.
Also I don't say Royal are translating Mamma Mia on the ship, but the stage show has been and it's been a success, so people will want to watch it on Quantum when she goes to china.
Whether Royal do or don't translate it, is up to them.
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Admiral

Paul, with all due respect this should have been posted on the open debate thread.

Stereotyping and insulting a nationality/ethnic group is usually not done on the regular thread.

The Chinese people who travel overseas are intelligent an open minded and they are not traveling to see the same things that they see at home.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old June 12th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Administrator
Admiral

They may or may not understand it in English. As was already pointed out the show has run in Shanghai for quite awhile to packed houses.

I think you have a skewed view of the type of Chinese that will be taking a cruise on Royal Caribbean. These will be the middle to upper middle class of that has emerged in China and there are a lot of them. These are the same people who listen to western music, that is not translated, watch western movies, and a there are many, of the middle class, that speak English.

I think you need to book an Asian cruise with plenty of overnights in Asia. Drop the ship's tours and just walk around. You may be surprised at what you find.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 16th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Wow - Paul, I expected better from you. I thought you were more open-minded than this.

Your prejudice is definitely showing thru. You're remarks show a more deep-seated prejudice than just a play being done in English or Chinese.

You would obviously be very surprised how well the Chinese understand English and you're comparing Mama Mia to a Chinese opera is absurd. An Italian opera is boring as hell to those of us who don't like opera just as much as a Chinese opera.

The Quantum is going to China - like it or not. The Anthem will be here a few months after that. Live with it.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old June 16th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think we're all just trying to understand how this ship will work in China and if it is a "smart" move on Royal Caribbean's part?? Time will tell for sure, but you all bring up a lot of good points..

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 16th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I think we're all just trying to understand how this ship will work in China and if it is a "smart" move on Royal Caribbean's part?? Time will tell for sure, but you all bring up a lot of good points..
China has the second (first is USA) highest amount of millionaires, over 1 million on the last count.
Any business wants a piece of that money. Makes very good sense to go to china.
I would even consider flying there and doing a cruise on Anthem.
Old June 16th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Felix...

Please do not judge me. I am not making things up just to have an attitude, I am speaking from personal experience and research. I have been to China and saw that unlike Europe the vast majority of Chinese do NOT speak English. Very few of them do - and those who do have a very limited vocabulary.

When I was in Shanghai (the most "urbane" city in Mainland China and the port city for Quantum) I met almost no one who spoke it, even in tourist areas. Beijing was a little better. But here is a study that says" according to a survey involving 260 parents of primary and secondary students in Shanghai, 52% of the respondents did not know English, 24% to 33% knew English but rarely used it when reading, watching TV, or listening to radio, and only 15% to 24% used English in such activities on a weekly basis.

So, 15% to 24% of the 54% who say they know English is roughly 8% of students who say they use English on a "weekly" basis. 8% of Chinese claim to use English once a week. How does that say "A lot of Chinese people know English?" (unless you think the Chinese Communist Gov't taught their parents English during the '80s (not likely).

I am sure that if you compare that to Europe you would find a vast difference. I am also sure you understand that a "study" done by the Chinese gov't to boast of English usage is going to try to make the best case possible. But I am also sure you know that anyone who doesn't use his English more than once a week probably doesn't know it very well (if at all).

What I am saying (about the signs in the city) and the food is factual, not my opinion. I am sorry if you find my facts offensive, but I didn't just make them up.

I also know there are a lot of loyal Royal Caribbean cruisers who are still dismayed by this decision. Can I remind you that the ship was touted for almost two years as a future "American ship for New York City?"

People are having trouble with the dynamic dining reservations, as well. The ship was designed for the American market. That is my point, and I don't agree that the Chinese are going to enjoy the entertainment. They will enjoy other factors of the cruise
Old June 16th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes, China has a lot of Millionaires (close the number in the US) because its population is almost 5-times the population of the U.S.

So, in America 4% of the population is millionaires. That means in China the % is somewhere around 0.73% of the population; about 2/3 of 1%.
Old June 16th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

With all due respect. The ship is sourcing from Shanghai. I asked Royal Caribbean is they will be interporting when they stop on Hong Kong or any other ports and they said "no." So, the guests will all be mainland Chinese.

So, it doesn't matter what you have experienced in Hong Kong or Macau. This is a Chinese audience.

Now, please, don't think I am saying I think RC is making a huge mistake. I am only pointing out that they are taking a ship that was designed for the American market, and suddenly dropping it in China.

I am sure it will do well - I never said it wouldn't. But I also think it would have done well here and that the ship classes already in China are good enough.

A lot of Asian ports just recently built brand new Oasis-class compatible ports. I would much rather see them send Oasis over there, and I think it would be a bigger success, than Quantum. What does it say about Quantum that they chose to send it, as a brand new ship, rather than send an Oasis-class ship, for example.
Old June 16th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I think you have a skewed view of the type of Chinese that will be taking a cruise on Royal Caribbean. These will be the middle to upper middle class of that has emerged in China and there are a lot of them. These are the same people who listen to western music, that is not translated, watch western movies, and a there are many, of the middle class, that speak English.
Take care,
Mike
Mike my whole point was that the kind of people taking the ship are the kind of people who are now the most favorite targets of Chinese comedians. I am just asking a question, not making a statement of opinion.

And Mike - just FYI - I did once spend three days in Shanghai just walking around. It was in the 90s, so awhile ago, I admit, but I have done it.

And can we PLEASE stop using the word racist every time someone tries to discuss a foreign culture. I said NOTHING derogatory about the Chinese at all. The abuse of this word "racist" is beyond a joke now, its an insult to the intelligence of people who know the true definition of racism.
Old June 16th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Yes, China has a lot of Millionaires (close the number in the US) because its population is almost 5-times the population of the U.S.

So, in America 4% of the population is millionaires. That means in China the % is somewhere around 0.73% of the population; about 2/3 of 1%.
The UK has less millionaires than China and we are getting Anthem of the Seas, yet no complaint about that.
It's not the amount of population percentage that counts, it's the number of people that are Millionaires.
Old June 16th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Saus...

Can't I just pose a question and have a discussion without people going off on tangents about my motive or what they perceive to be my attitude?

I just don't understand why people can't just read the topic and stay on topic - that being "what do you think the Chinese will think of the entertainment on Quantum of the Seas?" I don't think they'll like Mama Mia, 2 /12 hours in English. That is ALL I said.....

I can tell you what I thought of the entertainment on an MSC ship in Europe. I thought it was boring, and they even tried to make it mostly in English because that is the official language of the EU. But otherwise it was puppets and gymnasts. If it had been 2 1/2 hours in Italian I am sure I would have left.

There is a very popular Asian cruise line out of Malaysia called Star Cruises that does NOT market to Americans at all - because it is made for an Asian culture, they know that Americans do not enjoy their experience.

I have written many times that Americans should not go on ships that are designed for foreign tastes solely because they do NOT offer what Americans want.

For example, Royal C. has some itineraries that I believe appeal to Europeans, that go to places with beaches and nice natural scenery, for example. But an American in Europe wants to see history; Dubrovnik and Venice. A European cruise for locals goes to Split Croatia, and Brac.

It is like the cruise meme that "Americans should take a Costa ship in the Caribbean for a taste if Italy"

Really? Take it for a vacation, but not a for a taste of Italy.

Now, I know RCL has some ships in China already that are doing well - but those were re-made for that market. Quantum was built for the American market and "switched" at practically the last minute. I have heard of NO plans to remake any of it for the Asian market. That is a very odd move in this business.

All I wanted to was pose that simple question

Is anyone following me here?
Old June 16th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Admiral

I guess time will tell if the Chinese will enjoy the Quantum or not.

I would think many of the Chinese do understand English at this point. Never been there so just a guess.

Will it be just the super rich/millionaire Chinese cruising on Quantum? Most U.S. cruisers are not super rich/millionaires they are the low/middle/upper class.
I think the super rich/millionaires do cruise but not as often as the middle/upper class. Being a millionaire one can book any vacation and price is no object that opens the door to alot of wonderful vacation spots other then cruising.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 16th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

A European cruise for locals goes to Split Croatia.

So true! Many of the Croatian Community go to Split for a few days or longer. It's the place to go for many Croatians and other Europeans. Split is the "IT" place.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 16th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thank you Cruise Queen. Finally someone who gets my point.
Old June 16th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Admiral

For a recent example of a cruise line catering to a specific market, we need only look at Princess. They recently did some extensive modifications to the Diamond Princess in order to cater to the Japanese market. They installed a new sushi restaurant and also an 8800 square foot area for Japanese baths and gardens, among other things.

Missing in all of this stuff about the Quantum is that Bermuda had not lived up to it's commitment to RCI to dredge the shipping channel to accommodate the Quantum class ships. The clock was running and RCI had to do something since a major part of the Quantum's hype was it's Bermuda cruises. Bermuda would not be ready for the Quantum debut. Oh, what will we do? Hey, let's make a bold decision and just see what happens. And then, all of a sudden, came the news that they were moving the ship to China. I really believe that if Bermuda had come through with their end of the bargain, we'd not be discussing this and Quantum would be staying in New Jersey - and that indeed, an Oasis class ship would instead be headed to China.
Old June 16th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
Missing in all of this stuff about the Quantum is that Bermuda had not lived up to it's commitment to RCI to dredge the shipping channel to accommodate the Quantum class ships. The clock was running and RCI had to do something since a major part of the Quantum's hype was it's Bermuda cruises. Bermuda would not be ready for the Quantum debut. Oh, what will we do? Hey, let's make a bold decision and just see what happens. And then, all of a sudden, came the news that they were moving the ship to China. I really believe that if Bermuda had come through with their end of the bargain, we'd not be discussing this and Quantum would be staying in New Jersey - and that indeed, an Oasis class ship would instead be headed to China.
Thank you Dave. This makes alot more sense on what has happened. With the third Quantum Class ship coming out in 2016, that might give Bermuda the time they need. Which could have been planned to go to China and RCI has just had to move things around instead. Or they might swap the ships back round if the 3rd ship has modifications for the China market onboard already planned.
Old June 16th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Dave,
I think you are on to something, that could be it, at least it makes sense. Bermuda is one port I have not been too, may have been a huge draw for Quantium or the next one or two??

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 16th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It does make a lot of sense. People tend to forget how big Quantum is. I did an article on the best cruise ports in the world recently and some of the newest ports also capable of handling Oasis-sized ships are in Asia. They went out of their way to specifically build for ships up to 220,000 tons (Oasis sized).

I also think RCL felt an obligation to send them a big ship sometime soon, since so many ports are primed for it.
Old June 16th, 2014, 08:50 PM
First Mate

Random Thoughts...

If I were going to send a ship to China. Especially a billion dollar ship. I would want every bit of that ship to cater to the Chinese culture. It increases its chances of success. Quantum was built with the American market in mind. Northeast in particular. As was Breakaway. How do we think Breakaway would be received in China???

As for millionaires. I'm not a millionaire and I go on cruises. In fact most of the people I know who cruise are not millionaires.

If Bermuda is in fact the reason I think I would have sent Quantum somewhere other than China. Europe, Australia, the West Coast. If I wanted a ship for China I would send a ship being built now so I could make it more appealing to the Chinese market. I said that already didn't I.

I bought into the whole Quantum being a NJ ship hype. I was looking forward to taking several more cruises after our 12/1 trip. Not being from Florida I was enjoying the idea of having our own ship. I guess we do but it's called Breakaway.

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Old June 16th, 2014, 11:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum13 View Post

As for millionaires. I'm not a millionaire and I go on cruises. In fact most of the people I know who cruise are not millionaires.

I bought into the whole Quantum being a NJ ship hype. I was looking forward to taking several more cruises after our 12/1 trip. Not being from Florida I was enjoying the idea of having our own ship. I guess we do but it's called Breakaway.
That was my point....It's not all millionaires on cruises. It's mostly Middle and Upper class in the U.S. anyway. I know a few super rich families and they cruise once in a while. When they book their quarterly travel vacation money is no object and they usually end up at exotic land destinations at 5 star hotels dinners at top restaurants.

As for New Jersey we have Quantum soon then Liberty and then Anthem. Can't compare those 3 gals to Breakaway. They blow Breakaway out of the water! And if you want to cruise out of New Jersey before Quantum gets here there is always Excellent Explorer which is currently home to the #1 Cruise Director Leigh X.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 16th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Captain

Everyone is assuming the ship will be sold AS IS to the Chinese market. Cruise ships are adaptable to a variety of functions, and their most adaptable points are food service and entertainment. Will there be a cost associated with such a retrofit? Certainly. But a stage show can be replaced, and restaurants can be easily re-tooled. Cost of doing business in a new market, and I betcha the fares will not be the American-style cut-throat "fill the ship at any cost" fares that we are so used to lately...

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old June 17th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
Everyone is assuming the ship will be sold AS IS to the Chinese market. Cruise ships are adaptable to a variety of functions, and their most adaptable points are food service and entertainment. Will there be a cost associated with such a retrofit? Certainly. But a stage show can be replaced, and restaurants can be easily re-tooled. Cost of doing business in a new market, and I betcha the fares will not be the American-style cut-throat "fill the ship at any cost" fares that we are so used to lately...
Agree!!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 17th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Actually, I had dinner with Adam Goldstein in May, and he told me that they would be changing the ship "very little". Of course, I don't know what he considers to be "very little" but that is what he said.

His points were

1) we already have two ships in this market so we feel we know what are are doing

2) the Chinese have become much more urbane in the last 10 years, more worldly and open to new experiences.

I am not one to argue with Adam Goldstein, it's his business, and I guess the Quantum will do well. But I agree with Beachbum, I would have found someplace else to put the ship.

For example, I asked them why they don't try a new ship in California? The answer was (1) limited destinations, and (2) we tried Marina and it didn't work.

Well - at the time they tried Marina the Voyager class was already 8 years old. Everyone in California had seen one - and it wasn't one of the top new ships. I don't understand why the cruise industry has NEVER tried a brand new, unique ship in California. The pickings on the West coast are sadly lacking - no "destination unto themselves" ships at all in a region that they say has no decent ports of call.
Old June 17th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Admiral

More fuel to add to the speculation about an Oasis class vessel heading to Asia - RCI to build port facilities in Taiwan large enough for Oasis-class
Old June 17th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes, and RCI already owns a 20% stake in the port facilities for Hong Kong - also Oasis-compatible. Singapore is also Oasis-compatible.

Don't forget, they even had to upgrade Ft Lauderdale for those ships. It is no small thing to be able to handle the world's biggest ships - and it seems to be a good reason why RCI would go to Asia.

It's funny that when I mentioned that to Adam he didn't respond overly enthusiastically. He just kind of nodded. I know public figures have to be careful what they say, but it makes one wonder when you don't get edification in a case like that.

Kai Tak Cruise Terminal - Your Gateway To Hong Kong & Asia
Old June 18th, 2014, 09:16 PM
First Mate

I read somewhere, maybe here?, that a couple of cruise lines were looking into purchasing suitable real estate to create a unique cruise destination like Princess Cay, Labadee or Castaway Cay to try and create a better west coast market for cruising.

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N