Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2014, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Wink Monday, Aug. 25th, 2014

There will be an announcement on Monday about more interesting details on Quantium of the Seas: YOU ARE CORDIALLY INVITED:
JOIN RICHARD D. FAIN AND DAVID POGUE FOR A LIVE STREAMING TELECAST FROM THE SHIPYARD IN PAPENBURG, GERMANY.On Monday August 25, 2014 Richard D. Fain, Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and technology expert David Pogue, will unveil more details of the groundbreaking Quantum of the SeasSM from the shipyard in Papenburg, German. Be among the first to discover how Quantum will change the way the world looks at cruising. Save the dateLIVE STREAMAUGUST 25, 201410:00 AM ESTGT

Message Boards Moderator

Last edited by Donna; August 23rd, 2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: removed link
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2014, 06:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Donna,

Just a quicky for you. On clicking the "Get a reminder" link on your post, sends me to the page but your personal email is already filled in the box. I don't believe you want to give this information out.
You need to redo the link.
Here is a clean version: http://pages.royalcaribbeanmarketing...eHangoutSignUp

Need some cruise help?
Old August 23rd, 2014, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Thanks SP,
Just removed the reminder link.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 25th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Counting down the hours till the Announcement. 10am EDT (USA) or 2pm GMT (UK) time.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 25th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Familiar Face

What a DUD!

Big deal...they're (finally) adding some technology from this millenium to Quantum and RCI. Long overdue.

While it's good to see...it's also nearly 5 years past the time they could have done these things.

Already Sailed:

Radiance of the Seas (Alaska Roundtrip/Vancouver) - 5/9/14
Independence of the Seas (Western Caribbean) - 3/23/14
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 2/23/13
Oasis of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) - 2/10/12
Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) - 5/9/09
Old August 25th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Admiral

I see the Quantum as another great Royal ship.

As far as I am concerned this ship will immensely popular wherever she may sail.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old August 25th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Really??

Electronic tagging of guests?? I don't like at all.

Annie
Old August 25th, 2014, 06:15 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Really??

Electronic tagging of guests?? I don't like at all.

Annie
You can still get a seapass card if you don't want the bracelet.

Loving this ship! Can't wait for the 2016 itineraries to come out (fully booked until then)
Old August 25th, 2014, 06:16 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISEFAN0001 View Post
What a DUD!

Big deal...they're (finally) adding some technology from this millenium to Quantum and RCI. Long overdue.

While it's good to see...it's also nearly 5 years past the time they could have done these things.
I don't see it as a dud at all. No one else at sea is doing it. I'm not even a big fan of RCL but they're new builds are leaps and bounds beyond the competition.
Old August 25th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Admiral

From what RCI is saying on their Twitter page, issuing a SeaPass will still be done for each guest. The wristbands will be placed in the cabins and when you arrive at your cabin, if you choose to activate the wristband you can do so at an iQ station on the ship, where you will be charged $2.00 and the wrist band will be set up to your account. Otherwise you can toss it in the trash or wherever and not use it at all. Or, you can activate the wristband and only used it when it is convenient, such as for spending time in the pools, the gym, running on the track, or going ashore to a beach, where the classic cruise card can be a problem. For other times you can leave the wristband in the cabin (the safe would probably be a good idea) and just use the SeaPass card.
Old August 25th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieG View Post
I don't see it as a dud at all. No one else at sea is doing it. I'm not even a big fan of RCL but they're new builds are leaps and bounds beyond the competition.

No, it's certainly not a dud. None of the newer RCL ships are anything close to being duds.
The Quantum will definitely ' WOW ' the passengers that will sail on her.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old August 26th, 2014, 05:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

There are still 4 venues to be announced. There was 5 but we now know that 1 of them is the Robotic Bar. Which just sounds awesome to me. This Smart Ship with all the tech on board and used for it is just amazing.
The ship is sailing on a level of micro bubbles to reduce friction and save on fuel. Things like this are not seen or heard about on the ship and won't effect my experience but still amazes me what they can do and how to push forward with tech.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 26th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Admiral

I have always felt that the Royal Caribbean ships were a step above the others when it comes to technology and hi-tech entertainment. Nice to see they are still going way forward.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 26th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Captain

I guess you still have to tip the bar robot. Also, you have no chance of getting a little extra pour that a live bartender may give you. Also looks like at least one employee if not more will be out of a job. Cool novelty but that's all this is.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old August 27th, 2014, 05:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy View Post
I guess you still have to tip the bar robot. Also, you have no chance of getting a little extra pour that a live bartender may give you. Also looks like at least one employee if not more will be out of a job. Cool novelty but that's all this is.
The employee for the bar will still be there and employed. Because guests will need help in ordering drinks and you need someone there to stop minors getting drinks.
Also this isn't all the bars on the ship, just one, so you can go elsewhere for a drink and get your little extra.
This is just something new and cool. IMHO I would go and get the one drink to experience this and then use other outlets as normal for the rest of the cruise.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 27th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Admiral

I am very excited about all the new technology that's coming to the Quantum. With all of the new things going on this just places RCI further ahead of other cruiselines. I'm glad I will be able to experience this magnificent ship.
Old August 27th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieG View Post
Actually, Disney and others are advancing just fine with their onboard tech too. Heck...they already have the wrist bands that RCI is looking to offer going forward.

Most of what RCI has been advancing the past 2 years is their "amusement park" stuff and announcing 2015-2016 new ships.

That's all good of course, but not the over-hyped "advanced technology" being promoted of late.

Since sat-based Internet has been out there since 2008, and RCI has only now been planning to bring faster speeds to their ships...I don't see them as any kind of "tech leader". It's ramping up to expectations...especially for the steep prices they charge for the service.

Based on all the time that has passed, years of Internet speed complaints, and the need to )finally) offer something more current...it's more "better late than never". Not bad of course...but nothing revolutionary either.

Already Sailed:

Old August 27th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISEFAN0001 View Post
Actually, Disney and others are advancing just fine with their onboard tech too. Heck...they already have the wrist bands that RCI is looking to offer going forward.

Most of what RCI has been advancing the past 2 years is their "amusement park" stuff and announcing 2015-2016 new ships.

That's all good of course, but not the over-hyped "advanced technology" being promoted of late.

Since sat-based Internet has been out there since 2008, and RCI has only now been planning to bring faster speeds to their ships...I don't see them as any kind of "tech leader". It's ramping up to expectations...especially for the steep prices they charge for the service.

Based on all the time that has passed, years of Internet speed complaints, and the need to )finally) offer something more current...it's more "better late than never". Not bad of course...but nothing revolutionary either.
Seeing that the bandwidth for just one ship (quantum) is more than ALL the others ships in the world combined, I see that as a huge improvement that no other cruise company is doing. And seeing that this technology is only being affordable now for cruise companies to invest in, is a step other companies should follow. And reducing the cost of wifi onboard as well.
Also I don't see any other cruise ship offering robo screens, or anywhere on land for that matter. And this isn't technically advanced enough for you.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 27th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausPud View Post
Seeing that the bandwidth for just one ship (quantum) is more than ALL the others ships in the world combined, I see that as a huge improvement that no other cruise company is doing. And seeing that this technology is only being affordable now for cruise companies to invest in, is a step other companies should follow. And reducing the cost of wifi onboard as well.
Also I don't see any other cruise ship offering robo screens, or anywhere on land for that matter. And this isn't technically advanced enough for you.
Robo screens are a gimmick...just like bumper cars, etc...

Yes...the bandwidth improvement will be a welcome thing when it shows up. Nothing precluded that technology since first available in 2008...its just now that somebody's finally delivering it. WOO HOO.

Already Sailed:

Old August 28th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Familiar Face

Just as a P.S. to my previous post above...I wanted to make sure that my responses weren't limited to a "Danny Downer" perspective.

I admire and appreciate the fact that RCI is trying to address new markets and new cruisers. They are trying to provide a new cruise experience to a new generation of people. In addition, they are boldly attempting some things not seen or tried on cruise ships before. I get all that and understand.

My real point is that marketing hype and the use of terms like "innovative" and "new technology" get abused as much as used. In some cases, people don't recognize when these things have occurred. Such abuses can also lead to disappointment. In addition, when the decision was made to change the home port location for Quantum (following numerous months of extensive promotion for another home port), that can also leave a bad taste in one's mouth.

Despite missteps and uber-marketing hype...RCI is clearly looking to the future - and for that I'll be near the front of the line to commend them. Hopefully they accelerate some things to their fleet (like broadband-speed Internet), as well as add other new features to Anthem, Oasis 3, and beyond.

As a loyal RCI cruiser, it's fair to have more than one view on these topics, and all parties have my utmost respect and admiration for their points of view. In some cases, we simply agree to disagree. It's all good.

Already Sailed:

Old August 28th, 2014, 03:01 PM
First Mate

I love all the new gimmicks and hype. I can't wait to set sail on Quantum on December 1st. But at the end of the day I just love cruising. Faster internet will be nice for touching base with the real world. But as long as I can get good food, cold drinks and a nice lounge chair with a nice view headed somehwere other than work, I'm a happy cruiser!!!!

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N