Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 28th, 2014, 04:09 PM
First Mate

Default Quantum Tech que$tion

RCCL is saying that you can do this & that with your Cell/smart pad whatever. What is the cost going to be to have your cell phone or whatever on? To be connected to the "ships signal". I want to see a break down of what the connection costs are going to be. Are you going to have to pay to be connected to the RCCL "network" to view all these things they are now streaming??? And not for nothing I love taking my cell phone and putting it the safe for the duration of the cruise! Perhaps we can ue the TV for this "streamed" info??? Last thing I need to see on cruise is everybody walking around the cruise ship like they do on city streets and malls with their faces in a device....

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum13 View Post
RCCL is saying that you can do this & that with your Cell/smart pad whatever. What is the cost going to be to have your cell phone or whatever on? To be connected to the "ships signal". I want to see a break down of what the connection costs are going to be. Are you going to have to pay to be connected to the RCCL "network" to view all these things they are now streaming??? And not for nothing I love taking my cell phone and putting it the safe for the duration of the cruise! Perhaps we can ue the TV for this "streamed" info??? Last thing I need to see on cruise is everybody walking around the cruise ship like they do on city streets and malls with their faces in a device....
I know what you mean. I have all of my reservations for dining and entertainment printed out but I don't want to take all of that paperwork on the cruise with me. If RCI has something in my cabin printed out and waiting for me then it will make things a lot easier. I'll never be able to remember what I chose. I quick look at the daily planner and I'll be good to go.
Old August 28th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Admiral

They are not going to charge for what will be a connection to the ship's intranet (as opposed to internet - two different things). This part of the Quantum experience is actually not new as Princess and NCL (and perhaps other lines) already have ship apps where you can access the daily program, dining, etc. I will say that NCL charges an initial one-time setup fee to use their app, but it also does a lot more including texting others on the ship and offers phone calls to land for a reduced price. On Princess I just had my iPhone wifi activated but not the cellular, and it would open to the 'free' stuff immediately when I opened the browser, but I still had to log in to my internet account (and start paying) to go any further. I couldn't accidentally start running up a bill. I'm quite sure the RCI app will work along the same lines.
Old August 28th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

OK, Firstly no pricing structure has been released yet, but they did say that is going to be cheaper than current prices. I don't normal do internet, but if the price is affordable for data amount or a daily rate charge, then I might take them up on it.
Secondly, there is an app coming called Royal IQ, which will have your cruise planner on it and a digital copy of the daily planner on it as well. You can still get the normal daily planner paper copy in your cabin as well. The digital copy will differ and highlight the events/spa/shows you have reserved on the planner , making it easier to see what you have planned in that day.
Also there is a room, with tablets and touch screen tv's in, where you can sign in (or just tap or new WOW band) to the Royal IQ app and access your info there instead of your own device.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 28th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Guess I'll have to use RCI's equipment 'cause I don't have an iphone, ipad or none of that stuff.
Old August 29th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Captain

I just want to lay in the sun, have a beer or two and watch as the world goes by. The folks that want all this hi tech stuff can tap away all they want. You want to feel like youre at home with a cell phone or tablet glued to your head and hand? Go for it. I will see you after my nap.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old August 29th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy View Post
I just want to lay in the sun, have a beer or two and watch as the world goes by. The folks that want all this hi tech stuff can tap away all they want. You want to feel like youre at home with a cell phone or tablet glued to your head and hand? Go for it. I will see you after my nap.
I hear you on that. I just need it to pull up my week's itinerary while on the cruise. I retired from the telecommunications industry two years ago after 36 years. While on the job they provided all the latest technology for me as part of the job. Now that I'm retired, don't need it or want it. Hey but that beer sounds good.
Old August 30th, 2014, 09:54 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2 View Post
Hey but that beer sounds good.
Can I order it with my phone! lol

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Old September 4th, 2014, 09:27 AM
First Mate

I read on a blog where Royal will be giving all their employee's a Microsoft Surface tablet so they can email home and also to interact with passengers. Do you think the crew tablets will have certain software programs which allows them or helps them interact? I am wondering how it will accomplish this task.

Next Up NCL Jade
Old September 4th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

All I heard from Royal Caribbean is the tablets for staff is to help them interact better with Family and Friends. NOT Passengers. The use of skype to video chat back home and instead of all crew running ashore for a free wifi signal whilst in port.
What was the article you read?

Need some cruise help?
Old September 8th, 2014, 10:24 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausPud View Post
All I heard from Royal Caribbean is the tablets for staff is to help them interact better with Family and Friends. NOT Passengers. The use of skype to video chat back home and instead of all crew running ashore for a free wifi signal whilst in port.
Royal Caribbean International to provide 40,000 crew members with Windows 8.1 tablets | The Official Microsoft Blog

Next Up NCL Jade
Old September 8th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks TimmyK for that link, but it does not mention anywhere in that article that Crew will interact with passengers. Crew can interact better with family and friends, i.e. video chat on skype with loved ones back home.

I think you read something into this, that no one mentioned. So don't get your hopes up that you can skype the dancers!!

Need some cruise help?
Old September 8th, 2014, 03:07 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausPud View Post

Here is the Cruise critic article that gives the reasons the staff will use the tablets. They are to keep track of passengers individual preferences,
also theirs to keep and use for their family contacts....
I am sure RCCL didn't just give these away out of the goodness of their hearts

Royal Caribbean's New Ship to Feature Lineless Embarkation and Robot Bartenders - Royal Caribbean International
Old September 10th, 2014, 04:11 PM
First Mate

thanks for the feedback..

Next Up NCL Jade