Old February 1st, 2015, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Default New Changes to Dynmic Dining...Classic

Looks as if Royal is still trying to figure things out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WJp...ature=youtu.be
Old February 2nd, 2015, 11:21 AM
Admiral

It's supposed to be an option called "Dynamic Dining Classic" for first seating only, where those doing it rotate through the core restaurants with the same table, guests, wait staff. The regular DD will continue along side of Classic.

I'm wondering if they'll have a cutoff as to how many tables will be set aside for Classic? Surely they'll have a maximum number who can choose it.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

sounds like a nice option for those who can't plan ahead. The problem with this is one restaurant is Formal/Gala dining and with Dynamic Dining, I choose what night I want formal/Gala and how many times.
With this "Classic" on a 14 night cruise you will have a minimum of 4 formal dining nights. On my 14 night cruise I have booked 2 formal nights and picked them on sea days, so not rushing back from a 10-12 hour excursion and changing for a 6pm seating and feeling rushed.
Also the menu won't change and visiting the four restaurants for 14 nights means you will be eating the same food at least three times, if you like all the menu. If not, this is going to get stale and boring for choice very fast, but thats the price you pay for not being able or willing to pre book your dining options before you travel. Some people just love eating the same food all the time. I like variety and trying new experiences, so dynamic dining is what I want and is probably why RCCL is doing it.

Need some cruise help?
Old February 3rd, 2015, 10:19 AM
Familiar Face

It's not that I can't plan ahead, I don't want to plan ahead. Right now I pick my dining time, boom I'm done, nothing else to think about. Most formal nights are done on sea days anyway, so rushing back to the ship is not a problem. Besides, it doesn't take me any longer to put on my tux than it does to put on casual clothes. Now, let's say I've chosen to eat at American Icon Grill for 4 nights, the first night I decide I don't like it, what am I suppose to do? The other venues are probably booked for my preferred times, so I guess it's the windjammer. I can't imagine what would happen if you booked a last minute cruise on a ship with DD, I would think you'd have trouble booking reservations for dinner. My parents, who are not the most computer savvy individuals on the planet, would also have a tough time with DD. I think the fact that Royal is already changing DD to include this classic dining, they are acknowledging it's not working as well as they hoped.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 11:49 AM
Admiral

I agree to me this DD is adding more stress to the planning of a cruise. Once done I may have a different opinion , time will tell.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 04:02 PM
First Mate

Why anyone would subject themselves to either of these two options is beyond me!

When the DD concept was first presented, I was hopeful that It would offer much more flexibility and choice than the Traditional MDR 2 seating concept. I had thought maybe a Royal cruise would again be on the horizion for me. They had a good idea, then managed to muck it up with the requirement for reservations. Disappointing.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 06:29 PM
Admiral

I've been told they will cap those opting for Classic dining at 20% of the guests aboard, probably with a little variance one way or the other for groups, which means most people will still have to go with Dynamic Dining for the complimentary restaurants. And of course, these ships have many extra-fee dining options. Thus 800 to 900 guests per cruise can have the Classic assigned seating option, or 400 to 450 per seating since they are in fact going to have two seatings. This further breaks down to about 100 in each of the four participating restaurants at each seating.

Also, Grande restaurant will remain "formal" <ahem> meaning those doing the Classic option will either have to dress up <ahem> or go elsewhere on the night their rotation lands in Grande.

(My <ahem>s are because Grande isn't truly formal, it just requires a jacket for men and I'm not sure what is minimum for ladies but pretty much anything other than shorts and flip flops seemed fine. Plus, on the night Paul and I ate there we saw several men in casual wear who were seated - one wearing a hoodie)
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
I agree to me this DD is adding more stress to the planning of a cruise. Once done I may have a different opinion , time will tell.

I feel the same way. I go on a cruise to relax not to stress out.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old February 4th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I feel the same way. I go on a cruise to relax not to stress out.

TM
I agree, I also go on a cruise to have a holiday/vacation and relax.
I have planned my holiday in advance and I booked and planned all my dining options in October for sailing in July. This caused no stress to planning as I was already going to plan my excursions and from experience on Oasis, I am going to plan my entertainment as well (currently not available as too far ahead).
What all this planning does, is to allow me a stress free holiday as everything is planned well in advance and I can just sit back and enjoy what I want to do and eat without having to flap about on the ship wondering where to eat or what to see and panicking about seating and queuing. Example: When in Rome, I am eating in Jamie's Italian. Keeping the theme going and making an experience connection.

I understand that this isn't for everyone and can be hard to plan ahead, but I have been very organised in my life and this pre-planning ahead is great for me.

Need some cruise help?
Old February 4th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I totally agree with you SP, I like NOT to have to worry about where to eat, what show to go to, etc. I don't mind at all doing all this ahead of time, including excursions.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Admiral

I dont think anyone is saying we don't want to plan for our trips and just roam the ship with no plan as to eating and shows , I think your missing our point. it's more about not having to decided where you think you might want to dine each night. I myself like to know that I have a set seating in the same dining room and if im not in the mood for that I would just head to the windjammer .

When eating in the main dining room there's something for everyone , now with choosing one of the other venues you might like things they offer but your partner might not like the food choices. So now everyone going on the cruise needs to sit down and look at each restaurant menu and agree if you want to dine together.

Like I said, once I've experienced it I myself I my be a fan of it , only time will tell.
I do think it's good to try new things and from what I hear is DD is now running much smoother than in the beginning.

Last edited by Aerogirl; February 5th, 2015 at 01:26 PM.