#1  
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Aerogirl Aerogirl is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,019
Default Raised Drink Prices

From what I'm reading RC has raised the prices on their drinks


ALL cocktails priced at $10 +18%
American premium beers all $6.00 +18%
Beers of the world $5.50 +18%

This is redicioulas , it's not only the price of the drink but the 18% is where I have a problem. I have always added a tip to my tab but this really rubs me the wrong way. I know other lines also charge a gratuity but there drink prices are a little less....$11.80 for a pia colada is insane!
I must say from the little things I read about RC I'm not overly impressed and it will be interesting to see what I think after my cruise.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Manuel Manuel is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 24,556
Default

Robin, I don't know if you will be impressed or not but I am sure that you will enjoy the Allure cruise.
There may be some minuses but the pluses will outweigh them.


TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 12th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Aerogirl Aerogirl is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Robin, I don't know if you will be impressed or not but I am sure that you will enjoy the Allure cruise.
There may be some minuses but the pluses will outweigh them.


TM
Manuel
I find the silver lining in just about everything so I know I'm going to like the Allure. #1 just meeting some of "The Last Gang " will make the cruise, I also know I'm going to be a little wowed by the ship itself.
When I mentioned "impressed" I kind of mean some of the things that are fleet wide, just one example is the robes. I hear only suites have them in the cabin, however I'm told if I ask for one they will bring me one. I enjoy wearing the robe at night on my balcony when it's chilly....this suprize do me that all cabins don't have them.
I'm use to Carnival so I'm sure I'll be noticing little differences between the two some hopefully for the better.
I'm a little surprised by the drink prices but I'm not a big drinker so I'll be fine.
No worries, I'm sure this cruise will be a highlight of my cruise history simple due to the company.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old March 12th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Aerogirl Aerogirl is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,019
Default

Hard to believe we're at the 11 month 2 week mark ....I booked over 14 month out
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 12th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Travelbuggs Travelbuggs is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
From what I'm reading RC has raised the prices on their drinks


ALL cocktails priced at $10 +18%
American premium beers all $6.00 +18%
Beers of the world $5.50 +18%

This is redicioulas , it's not only the price of the drink but the 18% is where I have a problem. I have always added a tip to my tab but this really rubs me the wrong way. I know other lines also charge a gratuity but there drink prices are a little less....$11.80 for a pia colada is insane!
I must say from the little things I read about RC I'm not overly impressed and it will be interesting to see what I think after my cruise.

If it makes you feel any better, it's not just Royal.

NCL just announced an increase of drink prices by 7%. In addition, the auto gratuity on drinks is increasing from 15 to 18%, right in line with Royal. The most expensive coctails will be around $10 or $11 pre gratuity. They have increased the max $ amount for covered drinks in the beverage packages to $11 pre tax so that most drinks are still included.

But I have to say these prices are right in line with what I pay here at home and on vacation. Not at all unusual to pay $13 for a martini, and many think the ship prices are a bargain compared to what they pay at home.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 12th, 2015, 12:39 PM
SausPud's Avatar
SausPud SausPud is offline
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Epsom, UK
Posts: 173
Default

Makes a drinks package look even more better value.
I like a package, so I can try new drinks and not feel like I HAVE to drink it because I paid for it.
__________________
Old Naval SeaDog

Need some cruise help?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 12th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Aerogirl Aerogirl is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausPud View Post
Makes a drinks package look even more better value.
I like a package, so I can try new drinks and not feel like I HAVE to drink it because I paid for it.
Right on!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 12th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Aerogirl Aerogirl is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbuggs View Post
If it makes you feel any better, it's not just Royal.

NCL just announced an increase of drink prices by 7%. In addition, the auto gratuity on drinks is increasing from 15 to 18%, right in line with Royal. The most expensive coctails will be around $10 or $11 pre gratuity. They have increased the max $ amount for covered drinks in the beverage packages to $11 pre tax so that most drinks are still included.

But I have to say these prices are right in line with what I pay here at home and on vacation. Not at all unusual to pay $13 for a martini, and many think the ship prices are a bargain compared to what they pay at home.
Guess it just how it is. An average cocktail here is around $8.00 .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 12th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Dave Beers's Avatar
Dave Beers Dave Beers is offline
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,862
Default

Not all cocktails are priced at $10, although some are up to $12. For instance, a Bacardi & Coke on the Liberty Of The Seas a couple weeks ago was $7 (well, $8.26 with the 18% tip). However a Bloody Mary was $12.

It is my impression that Royal Caribbean is indeed making an effort to get guests to buy a drink package.
__________________
Dave
Forum Moderator

Last edited by Dave Beers; March 21st, 2015 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 12th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Aerogirl Aerogirl is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,019
Default

Not good for us who like fo fo drinks....I still will have my 2 or 3 a day so no real big deal here but some pretty angry folks over at you know where.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old April 17th, 2015, 03:55 PM
ArabianHorseLover ArabianHorseLover is offline
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: U.P. of Michigan
Posts: 96
Default

This is why I don't drink much on ships. Soft drinks either. Such a money-making scheme.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old April 17th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Manuel Manuel is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 24,556
Default

I do my share of drinking while cruising.

You only live once and if I enjoy something I go for it.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2015, caribbean, carribean, drink, increase, prices, royal

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RCL Drink Prices DayvidB Travel Gripes! 44 June 23rd, 2009 05:09 PM
Carnival cruise drink prices vs RCCL drink prices? nikomoul Cruise Cuisine 2 September 6th, 2007 01:05 PM
Prices raised!! vtkd Carnival Cruise Lines 8 August 25th, 2004 01:32 PM
Drink Prices James Royal Caribbean International 3 December 8th, 2001 04:46 PM
Drink prices raised? Carvin Carnival Cruise Lines 0 February 6th, 2001 02:23 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 AM.
design by: Themes by Design