Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Seabourn
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity
Default Maybe try seabourn?

hello,
i am like Gabriel and have only sailed cunard, which we love, but are thinking of trying Seabourn. I have a couple of queries and i hope you can help.
1.) Will we fit into the general passenger demographic, we are 24 and 27?
2.) Formality? I very much enjoy the formal aspect of cruising and would like to know if there are formal nights onboard.
3.) This is from my husband, the all inclusive drinks, does that include beer. He prefers it to wine/champagne. Oh, does it include cocktails, for me?
4.) Can anybody recommend a Caribbean itinerary or ports that seabourn visit.
I am sorry for all the questions, but i would hate to book a cruise and find that it does not suit.
thank you in advance for any answers given.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Maybe try seabourn?

Lex.. we've sailed Seabourn a couple of times. If you think the "small ship/luxury yacht" experience is for you (as compared to the larger ships), then Seabourn is for you.

Very intimate, very friendly, and nothing buy royal treatment, and luxurious service.

You may not find alot on board in your age range, but it shouldn't make a difference to the experience at all.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 29th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity

thanks kuki, were still in the deciding stage. any and all advice is very welcome.

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Old September 13th, 2004, 04:27 PM
CruiserDan

You will LOVE Seabourn!! Yes, all spirits, beer , wine etc is included. I started cruising the upscale lines in my late 20's, and will turn 40 next week. Seabourn is by far my favorite cruise line. I see you like the QM2. I sailed her for 28 days in Feb, and have to say that it is apples to oranges compared to Seabourn. The closest I can come is that on Seabourn, everyone is in the Queens grill!
CruiserDan
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:44 PM
darci

You will be very much in the younger demographics on a Seabourn cruise. I've done 5 Seabourn cruises and the average age is well into the late 60's and older. If you don't mind not having others in your age group, then by all means book Seabourn.

Another consideration is the stability of Seabourn ships. Because they are very small, they aren't at all very smooth in even slightly rough seas. I did a North Atlantic crossing that was a nightmare, and did one Caribbean crossing that had things falling off shelves, and that was just in mildly bouncy seas. If you tend towards seasickness, then the smaller ships might not be for you.

But you won't find better food and service on any other line. It is a very formal experience with 95% of the men wearing tuxes on formal nights and the women bringing their most formal gowns and sequined outfits.
Old September 17th, 2004, 02:44 PM
bgood

Hello Gabriel,

Depending on itinerary, the average age of people on Seabourn changes. There are usually younger people on cruises of seven days--although even then about half of the people book back-to-back and stay longer. Twenty-somethings will definitely be among the toungest aboard--however that may not be a bad thing necessarily. The thing is that Hello Gabriel.

As twenty-somethings, you'll definitely be on the low end of the age bracket--but that may not matter much. Seabourn guests are all interesting, well-traveled and nice sociable people--it just happens that way because the ships are that way. I think you'll enjoy it very much. As my 30-yr old daughter said "Who wouldn't want to live like a rock star for a week?"

To answer your questions:

Comp beverages include beers, wines and liquors, cocktails, etc. You can have your in-suite bar stocked with whatever you want. There are wines and liquors that cost extra, but the range of free stuff is very wide and very good.

There are generally two formal evenings per week. People do tend to dress really nicely all the time,and jackets are requested nightly in the Restaurant. You really ought to try having dinner served in your suite one night--it's very special.

The Caribbean just got hammered,including some of Seabourn's ports of call. It may take a bit to sort out what's working for this fall. But the good news is that Seabourn can sneak in where bigger ships can't, so they have more choices and can adjust more easily. Plus with just a couple hundred people, they don't need so much infrastructure to have a good day.

At your ages, you might really like the Costa Rica, Belize and Panama cruises--lots of exciting adventure tours like forest-canopy cable rides, swimming with dolphins, cave tubing and horseback riding.

Check out the videos on their website.

bgood
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Admiral

I hope to try them someday.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.