Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Seabourn
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

"Carrying more on" is not an option here.....carry ons can be weighed as well....and they must fit in those thingys that say what size they have to be. So far I have always been able to manage to also sneak on a laptop bag and a huge hand bag (think you yanks call it a purse or something) hubby carrys my camera bag, (its quite big too)......*sigh*....one day I might learn to pack better, but when you travel for long periods is very difficult. Now if I lived somewhere near Florida....I could go on lots of shorter cruises....and take less luggage.
I think one thing that pushed our authorities into becomming so strict with luggage, was because of the huge influx of Japanese tourists we used to have....you should have see what they carried!! Some carried half our meat and fisheries industry home with them in styrene boxes....and where the hell all the shopping bags fitted on the plane, I cant imagine!! I used to wonder how the planes actually got up into the air!

Seabourn Pride...Dover to Singapore...88 Days....Sept 17 2011
Old December 5th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamboatman View Post
One other thing. Do you know why a good percentage of people cruise on the QM2? No luggage limits!
One cruiseline I have never had any interest in sailing is Cunard. Dont know much about it really to be able to make any judgement, but have just heard too much about "what class" you are in and simply dont like the sound of it. It always brings to mind The Titanic film, where the "upper class" ate, drank and were merry until "oh oh" time, and the Irish "peasants" were locked below decks....maybe it reminds me of my ancestors? (Aussie convicts)

Old December 5th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

ok....going just a wee bit off topic here, but I have just had a brain wave as to why I like the Seabourn yachts so much!! Its in my genes......none of my family have ever been travellers....BUT....the original one that came to Oz certainly was....not by choice of course......
This is his mode of travel to Oz in the 1860's.

Last edited by GrannyLorr; December 5th, 2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: forgot my blue colour!!
Old December 5th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Admiral

ONE bit of carry on with P&O fly-cruises, that's IT! no handbags, purses, camera bags, laptops...nothing.... 5kg limit...no exceptions, any extra gets left.
Old December 5th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Granny,

While people may look at the schooner's as a romantic way to travel I bet there were plenty of seasick people on board even if the dess code was somewhat lax.

Here's how my ancestors got to the U.S.. Or was this a picture from my last Carnival cruise?

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 5th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

well to get back on topic.....dress codes......I think my ancestor may have looked a bit out of place in the Restaurant on Seabourn, but could probably have dined in comfort in the Veranda or Patio Grill......

Mike....is that a Carnival Tender?

Old December 5th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

well here goes my 22nd post.....at this rate I should get a signature by the end of the day!!

johnthedog......I have no idea about P & O UK, but P & O Oz, isnt a cruiseline I would think about going with. I have only ever tried one mass market ship and that was Rhapsody of the Seas.......think I will stick with Seabourn.

Old December 5th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyLorr View Post
well here goes my 22nd post.....at this rate I should get a signature by the end of the day!!

johnthedog......I have no idea about P & O UK, but P & O Oz, isnt a cruiseline I would think about going with. I have only ever tried one mass market ship and that was Rhapsody of the Seas.......think I will stick with Seabourn.
I think P&O OZ is a different animal to P&O UK which is a 4* (almost) line with dress codes & formal dress at dinners.
Lines like Seabourn are beyond the pocket of most people who wish to cruise relatively often (once/twice a year)
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamboatman

You would be amazed the value in a Seabourn cruise...especially if you forego the UK travel agent and book with a US agent where the terms are generally more liberal and the stronger Pound gets you a good price.

Remember on Seabourn your drinks and gratuities are included in the price. For some that can cost more than the price of the cruise.

Of course the quality of the ships, service and cuisine also make Seabourn a great value when comparing to P&O.
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Our next P&O cruise is on Azura, 28 nights over Xmas & New year,Caribbean & Southern States of USA, balcony cabin of our choice including flights £2,400/person +Tips at above the recommended rate, £100 each. Drinks & excursions are up to us but we also have £450/cabin OBC. 8 formal 3 semi formal rest Smart Casual. OK, we did book well in advance.
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with what Boatman just said. One of my "dreams" is a World Cruise.....I ~sort of~ got tempted by Princess, as they have a World Cruise which begins and ends in Sydney....therefore no long haul flights, and we could even travel to Sydney by train and take as much luggage as we like! All sounded great....so I did the maths. If we wanted an inside cabin for around 104 days, yes you can do it really cheap! I cant imagine myself in an inside cabin for even one day! I took the price of the BEST cabin on Dawn Princess, which still didnt compare to the cheapest cabin on Seabourn......then of course in the "best" cabins the gratuities are higher per day...add them up for 104 days x 2 people.........then the Bar bill??? All I can say, yes we are Aussies....the bar bill would be pretty high. (In "our" money, on Rhapsody, I paid around $20 for a cocktail.....only had one all cruise!!) so I would imagine cost of drinks on Princess would be very similar. Then there are all the little things that are extras on most ships, even fresh squeezed orange juice was extra on Rhapsody....bottled water....shuttle buses in Ports......when I finished adding everything, there was very very little difference. So now I need to save my pennies for a Seabourn World Cruise!!

Old December 5th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Admiral

A world cruise on a P&O ship in a balcony cabin, would be about £14,000 each + tips + spending...I guess about £35 K for two in total. I have always said this sort of money for a holiday is vastly beyond any normal working person.
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Familiar Face

On dressing up

I am in an ever decreasing minority that likes wearing my tux at formal occasions. It would probably take a psychiatrist to explain why that produces pleasure.
I think itís because the only time my wife tells me I look good is when I wear my tux.

It also matters to me whether I am the only one wearing a tux or the only one not wearing a tux. I think it adds a touch of elegance, sophistication, & class when everybody is dressed formally. The look of the room around me matters to me when I am formally dressed. Thatís why I think ďformal optionalĒ is silly. I am sure a McDonalds restaurant would not ask me to leave if I showed up in a tux. Therefore, doesnít that make McDonalds ďformal optional?Ē I agree with lord of the seas comment about the theater (or theatre.) I remember sitting in cheap seats a few years ago at the Vienna Philharmonic & looking down on the orchestra level & admiring all the elegantly dressed people. It made it an even more festive occasion. Now in our concert halls & theaters, jeans are very common, jackets & ties are rare even though the orchestra still wears white tie & tails. For me, a casually attired audience reduces the experience.

Can you imagine the scene & the song in My Fair Lady if Ascot on Opening Day were casual?

Paul, I donít enjoy the process of getting dressed up either. I also donít like taking showers & shaving or spending time at the barber shop, but I do it. Also, in general, the French are better dressed than the Americans at most functions I attend. (Agree with you about Germans.)

On the luggage issue
The biggest argument against formal attire on cruises seems to be the luggage issue. My tux takes up the same space as a suit (except for the cumber bun.) I cheat on the shoes & do not pack the appropriate formal shoes. (At least they are black.) I do try to keep my feet under the table so nobody notices.
My wife does not own a gown so if that were required on formal night, we would skip it.
I did ship a bag from my home in the U.S. to the ship in Kobe, Japan, because we were traveling in Japan pre-cruise. I thought the cost was excessive. (I donít pay luggage fees on the airline I fly.)
A few years ago, I flew from Palermo to London on Easyjet. Because we were staying in England a few days & because wine is so expensive there, we bought a bunch of Sicilian wines & put them in our checked luggage. The excess luggage fees were more than double the cost of all the wine.

Granny, Agree about avoiding Cunard because of the class distinction. If I were on Cunard, Iíd probably be identified as a Junior guest & a beginner. They'd probably make me wear a name tag with those titles.
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
A world cruise on a P&O ship in a balcony cabin, would be about £14,000 each + tips + spending...I guess about £35 K for two in total. I have always said this sort of money for a holiday is vastly beyond any normal working person.
I agree....but then I have never been "normal" we are retired now but "working" towards joining a SKI Club...(Spend your Kids Inheritance)
We actually dined with some extremely pompous Aussies on Seabourn one night....they were going on and on about all the Ski Clubs they belong to around the World......we butted in and said "we belong to a SKI Club too"....oh they did look impressed....and enquired as to which one.....when we gave them the answer, they had very blank looks on their faces....went completely over their heads!

Old December 5th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

One thing I really do like about Formal nights, is that I can point hubby in the direction of the robe and say "put on your monkey suit"......he actually comes out with all the right things on!! Every other night he gets dressed, and we go through the "you cant wear that shirt with those trousers"...."you cant wear those shoes with that jacket".....etc etc etc......Formal really is much easier on poor old suffering Granny!

Old December 5th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

whew.....now I have my signature I can go clean the house!!

Old December 5th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Somehow I have never connected the words "pompous" & "Aussie"!!
I do love sort of semi private jokes that pompous arses miss the point of....I used to call someone like that whose name was ''Richard'' ....''wretched''
Ah well, the cricket will be starting soon.....
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Granny,

Post one more time!

Diebroke,

Is your name another version of SKI?

You also raise an interesting point. I brought two sport jackets (one black and one blue), but did not bring my tux. The reason: I didn't think that many people would wear tuxes. In hindsight I should have and will do so on my next cruise.

That said, I think the evening was elegant regardless as everyone did dress with some "formality".
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Somehow I have never connected the words "pompous" & "Aussie"!!
I do love sort of semi private jokes that pompous arses miss the point of....I used to call someone like that whose name was ''Richard'' ....''wretched''
Ah well, the cricket will be starting soon.....
unfortunately there are pompous arses here, like anywhere, but maybe not an abundance of them....if I could tell you who this bloke was, you could see why he was so pompous....talk about inheriting, he hit the jackpot!!!

Old December 5th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Diebroke,

Is your name another version of SKI?
It would appear Granny & I are members of the same club. (Even though she is a Passenger & I am a Beginner.)
Old December 5th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Familiar Face

Here's another theory - people are better behaved when they are more formally attired.
School children are better behaved when they wear uniforms.
(I expect most will disagree. I'm just trying to increase my posts.)
Old December 5th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Familiar Face

Pompousness is something that you see on all ships -0 but the worst I ever experienced was on Crystal.

We were on the last leg of the world cruise - in fact the world cruise had started in Los Angeles, but thgis was a transcanal back to Miami s the Floridians could "get home."

We had one guy who had been onboard for months traveling alone. I just happened to land at his table which was mastly staff people strangely enough - lecturers, etc.

He actually said to us "I travel on Crystal because it is the only place where I can consort with people with my taste" meaning tuxes and other hoity toity pretentiousness.

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Pompousness is found everywhere and on every line. When I was on Celebrity in Europe last summer there was more than enough to go around...and going a "round" is exactly what happened. Yes, I fight in the dining room over seating.:o

But I can attest to the fact that the combatants were well dressed. Designer clothes I believe.

And, to be sure, some of the most down to earth people I have ever met I have met on Seabourn; one couple only travels in Owner's Suites on the triplets and Wintergarden Suites on the big sisters.

Money doesn't buy class and the clothes don't make the man/woman.
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by diebroke View Post
Here's another theory - people are better behaved when they are more formally attired.
Overall I do agree with this. In my business days I noticed that there was a decline in "professionalism" when the business dress went all casual. I enforced a business dress code for all employees who were representing the company to customers and at off-site meetings.

If you look professional you tend to act professional.

Don't worry: You only have 16 more posts until you get your signature.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 7th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Good effort to increase your posting number.

You do have a bit of a point about the attire behaviour,although I cannot excuse you for not wearing formal shoes to complete your evening ensemble.
Unfortunately everything comes down to how much money is spent on achieving the best results.I can see how hard it is to keep packing down to a minimum, just to conform to the airline luggage restrictions.So by spending more money you fly business and get twice the allowance,problem solved you can now take all the things that you need or really want to take.
what a wonderful and rotten thing money is, all at the same time.
Old December 7th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Granny,

Post one more time!

Only another 24970 posts and you get to "Old Fart" status ;-)
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

We fly Business and for all that extra money we get the grand total of 7 or 9 kilos extra luggage allowance. From Economy (Coach) of 23kgs to Business 30 to 32 kgs.... and dont get me started on air fares!! I am sure we in Oz pay ten times more than anyone else! (well that may be a slight exageration..... but only slight)

Lord of the Seas is going to beat Diebroke in the signature stakes!

Old December 7th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Familiar Face

I agree about the hassle of traveling on commercial airlines.
That's why I'm hoping to get a private jet (with crew) for Christmas.
Old December 7th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of the seas View Post
Only another 24970 posts and you get to "Old Fart" status ;-)
I have already got the "Old Fart" status!

Old December 10th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
I agree about the hassle of traveling on commercial airlines.
That's why I'm hoping to get a private jet (with crew) for Christmas.
Oprah is here at the moment in her private jet....it looks reasonably comfy....you want me to put in a bid for you? If you do get one for Christmas, you could always detour to Oz and pick Granny up!!