Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Seabourn
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Grannys Next Cruise

"Someone" in Cruise Mates a few weeks ago mentioned that they would be suprised if there werent any changes to the itinerary of my next cruise......well looks like they were right!
We had a few Egyptian Ports in our itinerary, Safaga (for two days), Port Said and Sharm el Sheikh......they have now been dropped. Instead we are having an extra two days in Israel (Haifa and Ashdod) and a stop at Mykonos. Think that means we get an extra sea day as well. Think thats 10 sea days out of an 18 day cruise.....not quite sure as I havent worked out where one cruise starts and the other one ends.
I am now convinced that I will never get to see Sharm el Sheikh....this Port was also cancelled on our very first cruise...due to a terroist bombing the day before. I had been looking forward to a "Bedouin afternoon tea in the desert".
We are disappointed that we will now not see Luxor, but two extra days in Israel should be good.

Seabourn Pride...Dover to Singapore...88 Days....Sept 17 2011
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Granny ---

So sorry they cancelled Safaga on you - Luxor is amazing. You may have to book one of those British river boats to see it - but here is a secret. That is really the best way to see middle Nile.

We saw Luxor on Silversea and it is AMAZING - and I would not trade that experience for anything, but if I were going to see Egypt again I would take a 7-day Nile cruise because there is SO MUCH to see there.

In any case - take heart in the extra day in Israel. It is a fascinating place. Now you will have a chance to see the Dead Sea - plus (if you care) you can see Galilee, Capernum and the river Jordan. You can also see Caesereum for excellent Roman ruins.

And we saw LOTS of real Bedouins on the drive from the Dead Sea to Jerusalem. and Jerusalem is so amazing I could spend a week there as well.

You still have an excellent cruise ahead of you.

Thanks for posting!!!!
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Granny Lorr

Sorry about the changes that were made but I am not really surprised.

I have to agree with Paul. Best way of seeing the Nile is to complete a river cruise.

I have completed 2 Nile River cruises - great fun !

Enjoy your cruise

Annie
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Are you going to Amman? Will you be seeing Petra? I hope so, also amazing.

Sharm el Sheik is the gateway to St Catherine's Monastery - supposed to be an incredible place. I missed it on my cruise because I didnt feel well, but my wife saw it.

--YES - Egypt is so incredible. We also spent two days in safaga so we could drive to Luxor and see Karnak and th Valley of the Kings. We stayed in a hotel in Luxor overnight (this was a Silvbersea shore excursion).

But I now know that the entire Nile is filled with things to see, and some of them we only saw frim a distance - but you could easily spend a day at some of them.
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

ok....write on my must do list *River Nile Cruise.* I am sure we will manage to fit that in sooner or later. We dont go to Amman but to Aqaba. Have already been to Petra so not sure if we will do it again or maybe Wadi Rum. I wasnt too well when we did Petra last time......had to do the "chariot" ride down to the site as I couldnt walk the distance (didnt know then that the old ticker was getting tired of working properly) BUT the chariot ride damn near killed me anyway! No idea how I survived that trip!!

Old March 24th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Familiar Face

Granny,
Looking at what has just happened in Israel,you could be having thirteen days at sea and five days in Mykonos!!

I like Mykonos.
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Admiral

That's right, I meant Amman. I hear the ponies are worse than the chariot, they are trained to take you on a wild risde (a bit of a thrill for the guest I guess).

I would think Petra would still be worth a try, though, if you were not feeling well. Just learned the Arab word for - "whoa nellie"
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

If we go to Petra, I can easily walk this time....I am all "fixed" now! No way am I ever getting behind one of those horses again! Apart from almost killing me, the horse bolted and came very close to squashing quite a few other tourists! People were flying in all directions!

Old March 25th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Lord of the Seas...this is turning into quite a "mystery cruise". We do enjoy fireworks though so maybe Israel could still be a goer! I like Mykonos too, but I dont think for 5 days!! Maybe we could just do a Greek Island Bar Hop? Just looked at my itinerary and we have 49 days before we hit Israel....could be exciting to read The Herald in the last few days.....who knows where we might end up!

Old April 26th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

The latest itinerary for our cruise shows that the Egyptian ports are listed again! Dont know if I am happy or disappointed. I had started looking forward to an extra two days in Israel, never been there at all, and also a few extra sea days. We always enjoy our sea days! But now I have to start reading a bit more about Egypt.......looks like we will get to Luxor after all! I am happy with either......

Old July 10th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

its now only 63 days till Granny leaves home The itinerary seems to be back to the original and we are "at the moment" heading to all the Ports in Egypt that were first listed! That means we will get to see Luxor which is great news. Sharm el Sheikh and Port Said still have no excursions listed so may be going off for a desert stroll or camel ride......maybe not.....

Old July 11th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I certainly HOPE you get to see Egypt and Petra. They are amazing places - book your own tour if the ship doesn't have one, maybe?
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have been to Petra Paul, think we might do Wadi Rum this time. I really need to get on that ship quick! Hubby has just smashed up my car for the second time in 6 months!! Well to be fair "he" didnt smash it up....young girls keep running into my drivers side door? The latest one only got her license 10 days ago....and has NO INSURANCE!! (This time he was sitting in a parked car, so cant really blame him I suppose.....)

Old July 12th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Wadi Run is very interesting - although since I live in Arizona it seems all to familiar to me. It is like going to Monument Valley.

Those uninsured drivers - urghgh!!!

We had one cause us a major accident two years ago, and we just got a letter from our insurance company that they are suing the owner of the car (it was also being driven by a teenager).

My stepdaughtewr got hit by an uninsured driver, and it cost us $1200 to fix the car. He had to pay the state a fine of $850 for not having insurance, but we didn't see a penny of it.
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

we are now down to 49 days before we leave home!

I used to have an online photo album where I could bore everyone with my "trip pics" but sadly that has closed down. While searching for a replacement, I found a "slideshow maker" program....so have been playing with that and thought I might use it to show my pics from the next cruise. So far I have just used google images etc. to show our itineray....have done 4 parts so far....one more to go.
Part 1, is pretty basic....it was a "freebie" and I had to "learn" how to use it. After that I purchased the program, so the slideshows are getting a bit better....hubby hates my music, so feel free to email me any music you think would sound better!

Kizoa slideshow: Part One of our Next Cruise 2011

Kizoa slideshow: Part Two of our Next Cruise 2011

Kizoa slideshow: Part Three Next Cruise 2011

Kizoa slideshow: Part Four Next Cruise 2011

hope the links work from here???

Old July 25th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

I cant hear any music?? Have I gone deaf or can no one else hear it either?

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I hear the music (Piano music)

That is a GREAT slideshow - love the graphics and titles.
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

How much did that program cost? You are really an expert at it.
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

I wouldnt quite say I was an expert.....but Im having a bit of fun....the program was $49.99 but then I saw on their Facebook page a 50% discount....so I grabbed it. Its for 2 years, and you are supposed to be able to burn to DVD's....will try that when I get home!

Old July 26th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

and the last part of our itineray.......no more till Im on the ship....lucky eh??

Kizoa slideshow: Part Five Next Cruise 2011

Old July 26th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Captain

Thumbs up

Looks truly amazing! This will be the adventure of a lifetime-I'm green with envy. Enjoy every second of it.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 26th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Im green with envy everytime I read about someone setting sail......almost my turn!

(we actually get to 254 days with Seabourn by the end of this cruise....we always do long ones!!)

Old August 1st, 2011, 04:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

41 Days till Granny leaves home!

Got "some" of our foreign currency yesterday...wanted to grab some US stuff while its still so cheap! Also got some UK pounds.....still need lots of Euros. Only other one we will get is Singapore dollars as thats where we end the cruise and will be staying for 5 days. The rest we will hopefully get either onboard or at ATM's.
Certainly will need a few varieties for this cruise...UK Pounds, Euros, Egyptian Pounds, Shekels, Indian Rupees, Jordanian Dinars, Malaysian Ringgits, Omani Rials, Turkish Lira, Emirati Dirham, Singapore dollars!! Looks like I will have to leave hubby in charge of the finances.....too much too confuse poor old Granny!

Old August 1st, 2011, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Wow - that's a LOT of currency. I tend to just use my credit card overseas when I can. I was just in Heathrow and I found I had to spend almost $20 just to get about 6 pounds sterling. The was the bad exchanges rate and the additional service fee.

I ended up just buying what I needed (coffee) with my Visa card.
Old August 1st, 2011, 07:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

we would normally just use Credit Cards too, well we would if we were buying anything substantial. However I doubt there will be much left on the CC's by the time we leave here! We like to have local cash though for markets (where Granny is happiest) or for something small like a coffee is some far flung place, or a taxi ride etc. . Dont particularly like to expose the CC's for a very small purchase in the back of beyond!

Old August 1st, 2011, 11:25 PM
Familiar Face

Paul--Try using an ATM the next time. The rates are fair and many banks do not add on a service fee. $3.00 for 1 pound sterling is an outrageous exchange.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just noticed some more excursions have been listed for our cruise. Until now there has been nothing showing for Port Said, and we go there twice. Now I see there are three different excursions to the Giza area....so looks like Granny gets to see the pyramids again!

Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

That is great, Granny. Let's hope everything remains under control until that time.

What about Safaga - are you going to Luxor? Or Aqaba, are you going to Wadi Rum? Maybe St Catherines from Sharm El Sheik?
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

H Winner - normally I do use an ATM, but the only ones they had in the airport charged a fee and had a high exchange rate - no better than Travelex. The Visa was the best choice in the end.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

yes we are still going to Safaga, so definately doing the Luxor tour. Told hubby last night he needs to work an extra day to pay for another trip to Giza (he has come out of retirement to help out a friend for a few weeks due to ill health). Aqaba is still on so probably do the Wadi Rum...we have been right through the "outback" of Oz, so probably similar to what you are used too...but we still enjoy those sort of areas. Just looked up the port times for Sharm el Sheikh and we are there from 6am till 11pm....but still no tours listed. I dont think St Catherines would be of too much interest to us, but will do some research....just in case.....