Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Seeking Cruise Companion
Register Forgot Password?

Seeking Cruise Companion For people looking for share cruise expenses as roommates. Sexual or suggestives posts will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2001, 06:57 AM
Shayn

Default SWM is nervous; needs help.

Hi, and thanks for opening my plea for help. My name is Shayn, and I Iive in Houston. I'm 36(look about 29-33...I'm serious!), well above average looking, intelligent, funny, and just a lot of fun to be around.
Here's my dilemma: I've never been on a cruise, and I'm basically clueless. I don't know where to start. Which one of the New Year's Eve cruises is the best? Which one will have more people on it? Will they all be single, or will some be traveling as couples? Should I try to score a roommate for the trip? Should they be a girl or a guy? Why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway? Why do they call Ohio, Nebraska, Iowa, etc., the midwest when they're closer to the east coast?
NOW you can see how serious this situation is.
If nothing else, I've developed a philosophy: I intend to have a hell of a time for how ever many days the cruise is. If I meet somebody special, that's even better. Oh, who am I trying to B.S.? I hope I meet her on the plane over there!
Anyway, any input would be appreciated, as I'm a cruise "virgin".

Take care,

Shayn
Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2001, 02:07 AM
Donnley Tomkins

Default Re: SWM is nervous; needs help.

Hi Shayn, Wow, you have lot's of great quesions. First off, I have cruised five times. I am no pro but, I think I can give you a few pointers. Most females of our age range do not cruise alone. We cruise with our female friends or guy's.My friend's and I do the cruise scene to get totally crazy and all decked out. We know we are never going to see those passengers again.So hey! Most of your ship's have the staff trying to score with every single female on the ship. They also have the advantage of knowing who is with friends and who isn't. You could request to be seated for dining at a large single table. (If your ship offers that) But, I would roll the dice and try and seek out a single cabinmate before leaving for the ship. I have done that twice. The first cabinmate totally sucked.We had nothing in common however, they try to match you with someone compatiable. He went to bed early, got up at the crack of dawn, and ate like a cow. Room services 24-7. I dodged his plates, He dodge my beer bottles. He didn't like the fact that i was on the cruise to get crazy and party, party, party! I invited guests to our room and he totally blew a nut because he was asleep! Tough marrocca's, I payed for the cabin just as he did. Anyway, He sucked! But I still had a total blast. My second cabinmate was great! We had the best time and clicked the second we met. As a matter of fact we still keep in touch and plan to cruise together again someday. He lives in Calf. and I am from Mi. He was a bit older then me (12yrs.) so no love connection. Just great friends! Anyway, What the heck, roll the dice and suck it up with who ever you get. It really is pretty cool hang'en with a total stranger for a week. oh, and I personally prefer a male cabinmate (i'm a female) If I don't want to hang out with him he isn't going to get his feelings hurt or angery. Most Females do not like being left on their own to seek out fun. I am very social and can met people at the drop of a hat. I'm a self emoloyed hair stylist, So I travel all over the country for educational purposes. You know the trendy look? So I have to be able to communicate easily with all types of humans. Well, good luck, and happy travels. Oh, when are you departing and which ship? Maybe, just maybe, I'll climb aboard. Bye for know, Donnley, from the great state of Michigan.
Old November 28th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Robin.

Dear Shayn,
I am a 45 year old woman and I have cruised many times already. Lots of times I
get stressed out and need to cruise. I have cruised alone lots of times. There is really nothing to be nervous about. You need to talk to as many people as possible, on the plane, when you wait to board the plane, on the line waiting to bring your papers up to the cruise person who signs in. Also, before you go on the cruise, whoever you booked the cruise with, make sure you ask for a singles table in the dining room. This is a place where you will spend alot of time with the same people. You usually have a blast at the singles table because these are all people who came alone and they are all lookig to meet people and hang out with each other on the cruise and do things when you go on the shore excursions. I have made such lasting friendships from these single tables. Also, most people on cruises are looking to have a great time and you should talk to anyone no matter what age anyone is. I have talked to some really old people and they were
more fun than the younger people. I love to powerwalk on the jogging track sometimes between 12 midnight and 2AM. I saw this older guy that was at my dining room table, and I knew he had run 5 NY marathons, and I asked him if he wanted to go up on the jogging track with me and he said OK. I never had such a good workout and so much fun laughing and talking with a newly met person. I also talked to other people at my table and we formed a group to go on a tour together and we just had a great time. You will have a great time on a cruise because time just doesn't matter and you could be busy 24 hours a day on this type of thing. Hope to hear from you. Robin
Old November 28th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Robin.

Dear Shayn,
I am a 45 year old woman and I have cruised many times already. Lots of times I
get stressed out and need to cruise. I have cruised alone lots of times. There is really nothing to be nervous about. You need to talk to as many people as possible, on the plane, when you wait to board the plane, on the line waiting to bring your papers up to the cruise person who signs in. Also, before you go on the cruise, whoever you booked the cruise with, make sure you ask for a singles table in the dining room. This is a place where you will spend alot of time with the same people. You usually have a blast at the singles table because these are all people who came alone and they are all lookig to meet people and hang out with each other on the cruise and do things when you go on the shore excursions. I have made such lasting friendships from these single tables. Also, most people on cruises are looking to have a great time and you should talk to anyone no matter what age anyone is. I have talked to some really old people and they were
more fun than the younger people. I love to powerwalk on the jogging track sometimes between 12 midnight and 2AM. I saw this older guy that was at my dining room table, and I knew he had run 5 NY marathons, and I asked him if he wanted to go up on the jogging track with me and he said OK. I never had such a good workout and so much fun laughing and talking with a newly met person. I also talked to other people at my table and we formed a group to go on a tour together and we just had a great time. You will have a great time on a cruise because time just doesn't matter and you could be busy 24 hours a day on this type of thing. Hope to hear from you. Robin
Old November 28th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Shayn

Default Thanks!

Dear Robin, thanks for the kind word of advice. I really appreciate it. It's obvious that you've been on lots of cruises. Any recommendations as to finding the best singles cruise(es)?
When's your next cruise? Maybe we can meet in person. Don't panic; just to meet as friends.
Anyway, take care, Robin, and if you'd like, you can stay in touch. Please use my e-mail address at home, which is sp9154@juno.com.

See ya,

Shayn