Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Seeking Cruise Companion
Register Forgot Password?

Seeking Cruise Companion For people looking for share cruise expenses as roommates. Sexual or suggestives posts will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 29th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Ballet Slipper

Default Sharing

I'm booked on a 7 day New England/Canada cruise onboard Carnival's Victory departing Sept 11, 2004 as a single (1) costing $1,798.00. When I called Carnival to ask how much it would be to add a person ( which would be a total of 2 in the cabin) their customer service rep said an additional $899.00 when I asked why she said because I already paid my full fare and additional means 3rd or 4th person so the second person must pay the $899.00 even though if we had booked together from the start the total for 2 of us would have been what I paid alone. This just doesn't seem fare to me. If someone goes with me now the cruise lines end up making triple on the fare. Has anyone else ever run into this problem?
Sponsored Links
Old February 29th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Sharing

Have you thought about cancelling and rebooking. You are well within the time limit to receive a 100% refund(70 days). Just a thought.

Marie
Old February 29th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Buford

Hello:

I just wanted to share this with you. I will never cruise on Carnival Cruiselines again, because they ripped me off one time and I know others that will not use Carnival as well. There are to many other cruiseships other than Carnival. Good luck on finding someone else to go with you.
Old February 29th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Sharing

Hi Buford--

Can you be more specific in what happened to you? I am very interested in knowing. Carnival is one of the few cruiselines that have reasonable single supplements, but would like to be informed as to what to watch for. Thank you.

Marie
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:50 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to robertmnch

HI:
I guess you really took the fish hook, worm and all with Carnival! AS the other letters stated, you should still be able to cancel and get your FULL Refund since you are outside the 90 day limit. Some Cruise Lines use 60 days + a Handling Fee of $100!

I'm on Deposit with the Holland America Maasdam out of Boston, May 29th for 7 days. I'm a SWM, 64, nonsmoker, conservative, college graduate, Air Force Officer for 4 years, career in the Printing Industry. Born and raised in Cambridge, Mass., and now live on the West Coast.

I will be flying into Boston on May 22nd to do some sightseeing up in NH the week before the cruise. You're welcome to join me on that week?

Please, if you are interested, contact me ASAP, so we can get to know each other, and make some decisions?

Cruise is $1,000, Cruise Only for a Cat "L"! I have sailed with Holland America 21 times, and get some good Perks!

Best Regards,
Robert
robertmnch@aol.com

Robert
Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Thats bull! Simply cancel and rebook. You are outside of any penalty timeframe. The agent you are talking to either has no idea of wht they are doing or is looking to pocket some addition commission. In either case that agent will not be around long wither through incompetance or because they are in it just for a few quick bucks and then getting out. Talk to a differant agent and in any case I would cancel with this one and rebook with someone else.
Jim

Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Sharing

Considering you have not stated what was done to 'rip you off' your remarks really cannot be taken that seriously without those facts. In addition Carnival has the highest percentage of repeat customers of any cruiseline so they must be doing something right. Maybe your agent took you for a ride or did a poor job but that doesn't mean it was CCL. Need to explain more Buford.
Jim

Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:32 PM
Buford

Default Re: Ripped Off

OK, this is what happen to my wife and I with Carnival Cruiselines. My wife and I had our 25th wedding anniversary coming up and we had booked an 11-day cruise to Greece, Spain, etc. One Sunday we were watching the TV and saw that a carnival cruiseship had broken down at sea. It was our ship that we were going on. That Monday, I called our travel agent and ask her about the ship, would it be repaired and ready to go in two weeks, that is when we were to leave. She told us that she had talked to Carnival Cruiselines and they said the ship would be ready to go at that time.

On the Friday afternoon, before that Sunday we were to leave, I got a phone call from our travel agent saying the ship was not ready, according to Carnival. We had our bags packed and were ready to leave that Sunday, so what would we do now. It was very hard for us to take off from work at the same time. I was given a phone number to a Carnival representative from our travel agent, she said maybe they could give me some ideas on what to do. It was already Friday afternoon and we were ready to go. I call the number and talked to a person from Carnival and she told me I could not go on any cruises and rebook the trip later at a 50% discount they were giving us because of the ship being broke down. Also, I could go on a 7-day Mexican Rivera trip that they were was to leave that Sunday and they were recommending everyone to take this cruise. So, I told the person that I would call my wife and see what she wanted to do, but the representative told me that she had only one room left and that I had to make a decision right then, no time to call anyone. She also told me that since I got the 50% off the cruise, it would not cost us that much. I made a decision to go without talking to my wife. My wife did not want to take that trip, she wanted to go to Greece, just my luck, hehehe.

Our travel agent handled the changing of the plane tickets and said that Carnival would make the price changes after we return and they would refund the money we had coming back to us. Remember the other trip was an 11-day cruise to Greece and we had booked several months in advance and saved a lot of money.

While on the cruise, everyone at our table and the other tables next to us was told the same thing, they only had one room left and they had to know right then in order to go on that cruise, so that meant Carnival was lying to everyone about having just the one room left. Then to make matters worst, we both did not have a good time because of where went, just was not what we was expecting.

After we got back, we never heard from Carnival on the refund, so I called them. They said that we would be getting like $250.00 back for the difference of the two trips. I said that was not right because the 11-day trip was a lot more than the 7-day cruise and that we were to get 50% off the trip too. This is what I was told, they charged me for the airline tickets being changed at the last moment from the airlines, which was included in our cruise price, then since I had booked the trip only two days before we were to leave, they had to charge me the most expensive amount because of the short notice and they gave me many other charges that they had not told me about. I talked to several people at Carnival about this not being right, but no one would help me. So, I said that I would NEVER use Carnival again, I hope u all understand now, thanks.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:36 PM
Buford

If anyone has any questions about my Carnival trip, u can e-mail me at Giddyuptn@aol.com, and I will be glad to answer them and if u have a cruise booked on a Carnival ship, goodluck and have a great trip.
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Hey wait a minute! Carnival does not sail in the Med! There is no way you could have booked a Carnival Cruise Line ship for that Intinary! <G>
Jim

Old March 4th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Admiral

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.............................. ...wrong! Thanks for trying, try again later.

Jim is correct, you cannot have booked a Carnival trip to the Mediterrannean. I don't know how some people can post such BS on these boards and think nobody will know any better. Sheeeesh..............

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Buford

Hello Again:
I am very sorry, I made a mistake and my wife corrected me. We had booked a trip to Greece and Spain, but had to cancel because something came up where my wife worked and she could not take off from work. Later, we booked a trip to the Southern Caribbean on Carnival and that's was the cruise ship that broke down. I am very sorry about the confusion, I am getting old and forgetful, so my wife says.

Too Jim and Thomas, I did not make this bullshit story up, it did happen and I am sorry about the confusion, but if u choose not to believe this really happened to me, then that's fine too, but it was not a "bullshit" story, thanks.