Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Seeking Cruise Companion
Register Forgot Password?

Seeking Cruise Companion For people looking for share cruise expenses as roommates. Sexual or suggestives posts will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2004, 11:12 AM
AA

Default Cruiseline Single Share Programs: A total waste of time??

I have called several cruiselines about their "single share program" (where they match you with a roommate of the same gender), and have been very dissappointed in the fares I was quoted. For example, I called Princess about a particular cruise and found out, it would cost more than 2 times the amt of a double cabin, to share with another guest. In other words, let's say a basic double occupancy cabin was 2000$ they were charging 5000$ per person, for a single share with a stranger.

Has anyone else had experience with these single share programs? Good/Bad??
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Cruiseline Single Share Programs: A total waste of time?

That sounds crazy...are you absolutely positive that the $5000 figure was PER PERSON, rather than as a total for both? I'd call back and get a second opinion-- from personal experience, I can tell you that between my travel agent and myself, it took multiple calls speaking to half a dozen different people at Cunard before we were able to get the straight skinny from the supervisor's supervisor on how much it was going to cost me to go solo on an upcoming cruise. Take no for an answer, but don't take absurdity for an answer.
Old October 24th, 2004, 10:05 PM
AA

Default Re: Re: Cruiseline Single Share Programs: A total waste of t

I am absolutely sure that that was what the agent thought it was. Could he have had incorrect info? Maybe. Did I understand what he was saying properly? Absolutely .

I have had several other similar experiences throughout the years. SIngle Shares are not available in every cabin category. What they do, I think, is, they choose a very high category such as the largest (most expensive) outside category or a balcony category, and almost always that is double the cost (at least) of the cheaper inside or the lower category outsides. It almost seems as if they have a single share program in name only.
Old October 28th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think they're so half-hearted about it because when it comes right down to it, they'd really rather not be involved. They don't want to play matchmaker, they don't want to deal with the onboard fallout and demands for cabin-juggling from rooomie situations gone bad, and they sure as hell don't want to face any liability issues if you wind up being placed in a cabin with someone whose behavior gets downright insane and/or criminal. Boards like this, where you can meet & greet and talk extensively beforehand, are clearly a much better way to go if you have any choice at all in the matter.
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:52 PM
Admiral

I have been two times on holland america with the share program.I have pay normal price each time . in fact i am going on the zuiderdam nov6 and nov14 on the
oosterdam and i am paying normal price. Who ever is giving you these prices
don't know what they are talking about.

Old November 3rd, 2004, 09:01 AM
AA

Earl:

What was your experience with HAL single share and sharing with a 'stranger'? DId you guys get along ok? What was the match like... age difference etc??

After trying unsuccessfully to find a roommate for other cruises, I am probably going to settle on a single share with HAL in Dec. Their price is right. For the money I will save with them by doing the single share instead of paying a single supplement, I can do a second cruise. Wish me luck on the roommate match up.

AA
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Passenger

I think what you were quoted was a singleFARE and not a singleSHARE, as a single traveling alone is usually 2x the regular price.
Old November 6th, 2004, 11:59 AM
aa

I was quoted the single share price.

The thing is whether it is HAL or another line, the single share is not available in every cabin category. And what all the lines (except HAL) seem to do is to limit the single SHARE program to more expensive cabins so that doing a singleFARE is more attractive and in some cases even cheaper that the singleSHARE.

In the case of HAL, the single share is often categories K(Inside) and F(outside).

Happy Sailing,
AA
Old November 19th, 2004, 10:14 AM
aa

Giving HAL's single share a chance in Dec. WIll report when I return, DV.

A.