CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Seeking Cruise Companion (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/seeking-cruise-companion/)
-   -   Alaska cruisetour Aug/06, 50+ fem. seeks cruisemate (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/seeking-cruise-companion/284510-alaska-cruisetour-aug-06-50-fem-seeks-cruisemate.html)

Marnie L. August 25th, 2005 10:40 PM

Alaska cruisetour Aug/06, 50+ fem. seeks cruisemate

I just found these boards last night, and first of all would like to thank whomever is responsible for them. What a great idea!

I am 52 and planning to cruise from Vancouver to Alaska in mid-August of 2006, with a 6 day landtour up through Denali to Fairbanks. I'd prefer a female cruisemate but would consider a 100%-platonic male. This will be my second cruise-tour in Alaska (the first was in 1998) and my itinerary will be jam-packed with all the things I didn't get to do the first time. So basically all I'm looking for is someone to share cost of accommodations, and maybe have some meals with. If you want to do some of the same excursions and activities as me, fine, but if not, that's fine too. Last time I went all by myself and had an absolute blast!

I'm an early riser, and not into partying. Don't drink or smoke. I have 3 rules: 1. I don't mind if you have a beer or some wine, but if you're going to get drunk please don't contact me in the first place; 2. please no smokers either; and 3. if you plan to "get involved" with another cruiser, please use HIS/HER cabin, not ours!

Thanks for reading my post!

Francine August 27th, 2005 02:55 PM

Re: Alaska cruisetour Aug/06, 50+ fem. seeks cruisemate

Hi.
I am a female,just turned 53 last week,and wanted to get to Alaska this year but looks like a no go.
I have never been yet even though I have been just about everywhere else.I dont smoke ,nor drink,and am married and dont fool around.It sounds like we would get along very well.Your plans sound great so far. Have you booked a ship yet?
Lets talk and see what we can come up with. I am very intrested!

Marnie L. August 28th, 2005 12:38 AM

Hello Francine.

No, I haven't booked a ship yet. Since Holland America is the only one who has a Singles Share program, that's so far what I've been looking at, but that's for the cruise only. I didn't like the landtours HAL offered so have been investigating Alaskatravel.com and came up with one that pretty much covers what I'd like to do. If I can find a travel partner for the landtour, it would really help out for expenses--Alaska hotels are between $150 to $200 a night! If you're just interested in doing the landtour portion, we could meet up in Seward (HAL will find me a singles partner for the cruise if I need one), or do the cruise plus landtour together.

Itinerary (nothing set in stone as of yet): Holland America Statendam 7-day cruise departing Vancouver Friday, August 11, 2006. Ports of call: Ketchikan, Icy Strait, Juneau and Sitka. Also 4 hours cruising the gigantic Hubbard Glacier. Arrive Seward Friday, August 18 at 8 a.m. Take in SeaLife Center and 6 hour Kenai Fjords wildlife/glacier cruise (I took this last time and can't wait to go again!). Hope to squeeze in Exit Glacier too (extra). Saturday: coach to Talkeetna with a stop in Anchorage along the way. Sunday: morning free (not for long!), afternoon McKinley Horse Drawn Wagon Ride, then coach to Denali Park. Monday: 12-hour Kantishna bus tour of Denali Park. Possibly Dinner Theatre in the evening (extra). Tuesday: Rafting Whitewater Run, then railroad to Fairbanks. Wednesday: Riverboat Discovery Paddlewheel cruise, and I've added El Dorado Gold Mine tour and if I can squeeze it in, a tour of a Sled Dog kennel. Plan to leave on the 1 am flight for home.

On the other hand, if I have someone to share expenses, we could fly to Anchorage and stay a day or two there and rent a car on our own. I spent a few days in Anchorage in 1998 and covered everything I really wanted to see, but fell in love with the city and wouldn't mind at all spending more time there. Assuming we still have the energy to stand!

Whew! Do I like to keep busy or am I crazy? Probably both, LOL!

So now you know my plans. If you're still interested, perhaps you can tell me what things YOU are hoping to do in Alaska. I gather hubby is okay with your traveling without him.? BTW, I'm in Winnipeg, Canada. Where do you live?

Francine August 28th, 2005 04:32 PM

Re: Re: Alaska cruisetour Aug/06, 50+ fem. seeks cruisemate

Hi Marnie,
Whew! I am tired just reading your itiniary! But it sure sounds like fun! I would love this kind of a trip,along with the cruise.
I live in Ft. Lauderdale Fl.
Tuesday I am leaving for a week to go visit my cousin,and a friend in Toronto Canada. I have been in Toronto once before and loved it ,but never in your neck of the woods. Have you ever been to Fl.?
Let me know what this trip will cost,and lets keep in touch,as I would love to go with you.

Francine

Marnie L. August 28th, 2005 06:34 PM

Hi Francine.

I've been working on this itinerary for just over a week, and have to get more i's dotted and t's crossed before I take it to my travel agent for fine-tuning. So rough estimates obtained from websites only:

Cruise about $1600 US pp (double occupancy) for a lower level, outside window (not just porthole!) I'm going to check out the cruisecomplete site too that I've heard mentioned in these forums, to see what kind of prices they come up with, but since August is peak season there probably won't be much if any savings. Inside rooms are about $400 less. I'd prefer an outside but since I don't plan to spend much time in the cabin, would be willing to take an inside. The website says it includes taxes but I don't think that means port taxes too, that would be another $190 or so. That's one of the things I still have to check out. Shore excursions over and above that (I'd estimate mine will cost about $350 this time, but I'm not doing any flightseeing--did that last time!) Check out hollandamerica.com. If you click on "Fleet", "Statendam" then "explore deck plans" you can see exactly where the cabins are.

Landtour from Seward to Fairbanks is about $1500 US pp (double occupancy), but that can be reduced if you don't want to do some of the excursions I have planned. Or, increased, if you want to do any flight-tours instead--they're expensive. I'd suggest you check out alaskatravel.com to get an idea of what's available. Meals are over and above that.

And of course we mustn't forget airfare! Last time the one-way airfare from Anchorage to Vancouver cost as much as the round trip from Winnipeg to Vancouver.....And lastly, a trip cancellation/insurance package, I'd estimate about $250.

If you give me some idea of your cabin preferences (which deck, inside or outside, located in midship or not) we could go from there. I can't really get a quote from any travel agents until I know which cabin I'm talking about.

Have fun in Toronto. I haven't been there in years. I've visited most of the US at some time or other, but never got to the East cost except for New York, or the lower right-hand quadrant, which of course includes Florida! It would be nice to visit your lovely state especially during some cold, dreary winter. But that's for another vacation!

Francine August 29th, 2005 03:10 PM

Re: Re: Alaska cruisetour Aug/06, 50+ fem. seeks cruisemate

Hi,
Sounds like you have been busy on the web. I had checked fares for this year and had found some pretty good ones.Princess,and NCL were pretty good. I have always heard that when you cruise Alaska you should have a balcony cabin,so that you could see everything. Have you checked any of those? If we couldnt get that than a window. Does the line have to be Holland American? As an ex travel agent I know they can at times be higher than other lines.Also I am a platinum member with RCL ans will have a couple cruises under my belt with Princess,as well as NCL.,these can make a diffrence in the rates.
Let me know your thoughts,and if I dont get back to you before Sept.7 it is because I couldnt find a computer while I am away,but will check for your messge when I get back.

Take care.
Francine

Marnie L. August 30th, 2005 12:05 PM

Hi Francine!

Check your email!