Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Seeking Cruise Companion
Register Forgot Password?

Seeking Cruise Companion For people looking for share cruise expenses as roommates. Sexual or suggestives posts will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Passenger

Default 40 yo SF looking 4 cabin mate 4 NCL Caribbean Cruise 11/08

Hi,

I had good luck finding a cabin mate for a HAL cruise in the fall, so I thought I'd try again. I'm sailing with some couples who were on the HAL cruise and they thought they'd try NCL this time around.

I'm all for the cheapest cabin since I was hardly in mine last time, and any view was blocked by the lifeboat. Right now, prices are starting at $599. My cousin is a travel agent, so I figured we could book through her - may be the easiest way to manage the money/names and ensure no one is getting scammed or anything.

I'd prefer female, non-smoking, gay/straight. You can do your own thing, hang with me (and my friends), go on excursions or not, sit together or not. Last cruise, I hardly saw my cabin mate except on the ship once in a while.

Cruise info: Starting in Miami with stops in Roatan, Belize City, Cozumel, Great Stirrup Cay. Itinerary looks cool.

Changes in latitude, changes in attitude....
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: 40 yo SF looking 4 cabin mate 4 NCL Caribbean Cruise 11/

Kath:

BTW, did you ever get to snorkel HMC this fall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmarvel

Hi, I had good luck finding a cabin mate for a HAL cruise in the fall, so I thought I'd try again.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
Kath:

Yes I did. I went with someone I met on another board - there were probably 20 of us on that roll call. I snorkeled with him and his wife in Torotola, and we did the snorkel trip on HMC. Worked out well for me since he dives a lot and identified everything we saw - pointed out things that I totally would have missed.

How are you doing? How was your cruise? You went with your son over Thanksgiving, didn't you?

Old February 14th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Admiral

I was supposed to cruise Thanksgiving but son Stephen and I worked on an Eagle service project with our scout troop instead. We have had to call all our scheduled open water dives in the past months due to work. Weekends have been booked with hiking, swim-dive-snorkel-lifesaving, or horsemanship sessions for our scouts headed to Florida Seabase, Philmont and a cavalcade at Bufallo Trails Scout Ranch.

Victor and Trey, fellow dive pros, did a CPR class for my company today and Victor was razzing me at lunch as he just came back from diving with tiger and hammerhead sharks with Maggie, one of our young divers about my son's age. Last dive I managed was just a pool dive for an ROTC class of 20 about 2 weeks ago.

There is much to see out in the saltwater and you can also get underwater fish slates or flip cards if you want to keep track of who is who. Was your buddy using a slate to ID the fish? I'm becoming an underwater sign language instructor to be able to communicate hands free with my scouts underwater.

So far I'm scheduled to solo the Eurodam in the fall and still looking to catch the Rotterdam (transatlantic?) this year.

Assume you snorkeled HMC by boat? Get to shore snorkel to see the reef balls inside the roped swim area on the beach? Nice assortment of critters have moved into the artifical reef structure. BTW, 2008 is International Year of the Reef!

Have fun up in PA. My kiddo's a twig of the old Boone family from up there and we just had the "joy" of finding that Britney Spears is kin.

Quote:
Quote:
Kath:

Yes I did. I went with someone I met on another board - there were probably 20 of us on that roll call. I snorkeled with him and his wife in Torotola, and we did the snorkel trip on HMC. Worked out well for me since he dives a lot and identified everything we saw - pointed out things that I totally would have missed.

How are you doing? How was your cruise? You went with your son over Thanksgiving, didn't you?
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Passenger

Quote:
I was supposed to cruise Thanksgiving but son Stephen and I worked on an Eagle service project with our scout troop instead. We have had to call all our scheduled open water dives in the past months due to work. Weekends have been booked with hiking, swim-dive-snorkel-lifesaving, or horsemanship sessions for our scouts headed to Florida Seabase, Philmont and a cavalcade at Bufallo Trails Scout Ranch.

Victor and Trey, fellow dive pros, did a CPR class for my company today and Victor was razzing me at lunch as he just came back from diving with tiger and hammerhead sharks with Maggie, one of our young divers about my son's age. Last dive I managed was just a pool dive for an ROTC class of 20 about 2 weeks ago.

There is much to see out in the saltwater and you can also get underwater fish slates or flip cards if you want to keep track of who is who. Was your buddy using a slate to ID the fish? I'm becoming an underwater sign language instructor to be able to communicate hands free with my scouts underwater.

So far I'm scheduled to solo the Eurodam in the fall and still looking to catch the Rotterdam (transatlantic?) this year.

Assume you snorkeled HMC by boat? Get to shore snorkel to see the reef balls inside the roped swim area on the beach? Nice assortment of critters have moved into the artifical reef structure. BTW, 2008 is International Year of the Reef!

Have fun up in PA. My kiddo's a twig of the old Boone family from up there and we just had the "joy" of finding that Britney Spears is kin.
That's too bad you didn't get to cruise over the fall/winter. But the other stuff sounded fun too, do stuff with your son before he's "too cool" to hang with his dad. lol

My snorkel guide is a PADI rescue diver and can identify 90% of creatures in a reef (according to a test he took online). We found a lobster shell in one of the norman Island caves, and he told me there must be an octopus in there. Luckily, he had a nice camera set-up with a spotlight which helped.

I did swim out to the reef bells, nothing exotic there. But, while walking back, I saw one of those things that I learned the name of but forget - long, thin, silver and just hovers under the surface. Followed him a while, and no one else even saw it. Then I got back to my "clamshell" and grabbed a cookie leftover from lunch, fed the 5 fish I saw and all of a sudden the 5 became 50. It was really like the miracle of the loaves and fishes. lol And they would not leave me alone, even after the cookie was all gone. I hope raisins are good for fish!

We had great weather overall, except for Tortola, and those of us on the 4 hour snorkel trip had the best weather from what we heard. Downpour at Sugar Cane Bay, but we just had sprinkles here and there - no big deal, except for anything you may have left on the ship.

As soon as my bonus gets deposited, I'm booking this cruise - room mate or not!

Old February 16th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Kath:

Sounds like you had a blast. My kiddo has one unconscious diver rescue to go and he's a PADI Jr. Rescue Diver and Jr. Master Diver. Meanwhile I have his scout buddies doing the Lifesaving Merit Badge at 10:00. He's not quite too cool for dad yet.

Lights will help for color restoration at depth or for poking around. Down on our coast we have rigs and pipes and such where octopi hang out. Victor, a fellow pro recently had his light and was tapping on a pipe with the handle of his dive knife when the octopus inside made a grab for his gear.

Surprized on the state of the reef balls - a few dozen different critters were hanging there when I last looked. BTW, we feed the freshwater perch, bass, and catfish hotdogs with no harm. Freshwater turtles, too. Just have to watch out because these guys can nip. Also, BTW, you can get small drybags at sporting goods stores which are great to keep what needs to be kept dry from the elements on boat trips, although thick mil garbage bags work in a pinch and will spot you as a small rain poncho.

Enjoy cruising and hanging with the fishies. If you like these guys, you should see manatees. Crystal River in Florida is a good spot for snorkeling with them.

Dave

Quote:
Quote:

That's too bad you didn't get to cruise over the fall/winter. But the other stuff sounded fun too, do stuff with your son before he's "too cool" to hang with his dad. lol

My snorkel guide is a PADI rescue diver and can identify 90% of creatures in a reef (according to a test he took online). We found a lobster shell in one of the norman Island caves, and he told me there must be an octopus in there. Luckily, he had a nice camera set-up with a spotlight which helped.

I did swim out to the reef bells, nothing exotic there. But, while walking back, I saw one of those things that I learned the name of but forget - long, thin, silver and just hovers under the surface. Followed him a while, and no one else even saw it. Then I got back to my "clamshell" and grabbed a cookie leftover from lunch, fed the 5 fish I saw and all of a sudden the 5 became 50. It was really like the miracle of the loaves and fishes. lol And they would not leave me alone, even after the cookie was all gone. I hope raisins are good for fish!

We had great weather overall, except for Tortola, and those of us on the 4 hour snorkel trip had the best weather from what we heard. Downpour at Sugar Cane Bay, but we just had sprinkles here and there - no big deal, except for anything you may have left on the ship.

As soon as my bonus gets deposited, I'm booking this cruise - room mate or not!
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Passenger

Dave,

Sounds like you son is well on his way to a life of diving and great vacations! It is much more interesting when you have a clue as to what you're looking at (beyond barracudas and eagle rays).

Unfortunately, we didn't see the octopus, and had to beat feat - or fins - back to the ship as we were that last ones to get back. lol Oops. We watched our time better on the second stop.

The reef balls weren't bad, just nothing to write home about after a couple of days of snorkeling some good spots. No turtles at all. One of our group saw some seahorses along the rocks, but it was kind of choppy and all churned up so I couldn't see anything there! My co-snorkeler also dived at Grand Turk and said the reef there was great - fairly pristine.

Manatees reminds me of a guy I used to work with about 8-10 years ago. He and his friends went to Hollywood, FL around spring break cause they never went during college. He was out swimming and thought he saw a manatees swimming below him. He said he practically walked on water getting back to the beach. Then he realized it was only his shadow! I can't believe he admitted to that! Oh yeah, he was 26 at the time.

Enjoy the long weekend - I'm guessing you have Monday off.

Kath

Quote:
Kath:

Sounds like you had a blast. My kiddo has one unconscious diver rescue to go and he's a PADI Jr. Rescue Diver and Jr. Master Diver. Meanwhile I have his scout buddies doing the Lifesaving Merit Badge at 10:00. He's not quite too cool for dad yet.

Lights will help for color restoration at depth or for poking around. Down on our coast we have rigs and pipes and such where octopi hang out. Victor, a fellow pro recently had his light and was tapping on a pipe with the handle of his dive knife when the octopus inside made a grab for his gear.

Surprized on the state of the reef balls - a few dozen different critters were hanging there when I last looked. BTW, we feed the freshwater perch, bass, and catfish hotdogs with no harm. Freshwater turtles, too. Just have to watch out because these guys can nip. Also, BTW, you can get small drybags at sporting goods stores which are great to keep what needs to be kept dry from the elements on boat trips, although thick mil garbage bags work in a pinch and will spot you as a small rain poncho.

Enjoy cruising and hanging with the fishies. If you like these guys, you should see manatees. Crystal River in Florida is a good spot for snorkeling with them.

Dave

Old February 18th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Kath:

Grand Turk is excellent! Getting more traffic with the new pier. Margaritaville is a bit pricey though - more Warren Buffet than Jimmy Buffet! Never had much luck with turtles on HMC. BTW, HMC can get choppy and is bypassed by HAL/Carnival when the water is too choppy for tenders. Neat storys to tell on manatees, kiddo caught them flossing with a plastic anchor line when in Crystal River. He also had a baby the size of a small dolphin who was right in his face - wiskers on the mask for some time. Harmless critters, but what a thump when they bump you.

Working today with scouts tonight. For some reason kiddo's school has Friday off instead.

Dave

Quote:
Dave,

Sounds like you son is well on his way to a life of diving and great vacations! It is much more interesting when you have a clue as to what you're looking at (beyond barracudas and eagle rays).

Unfortunately, we didn't see the octopus, and had to beat feat - or fins - back to the ship as we were that last ones to get back. lol Oops. We watched our time better on the second stop.

The reef balls weren't bad, just nothing to write home about after a couple of days of snorkeling some good spots. No turtles at all. One of our group saw some seahorses along the rocks, but it was kind of choppy and all churned up so I couldn't see anything there! My co-snorkeler also dived at Grand Turk and said the reef there was great - fairly pristine.

Manatees reminds me of a guy I used to work with about 8-10 years ago. He and his friends went to Hollywood, FL around spring break cause they never went during college. He was out swimming and thought he saw a manatees swimming below him. He said he practically walked on water getting back to the beach. Then he realized it was only his shadow! I can't believe he admitted to that! Oh yeah, he was 26 at the time.

Enjoy the long weekend - I'm guessing you have Monday off.

Kath

Quote:
Kath:

Dave