CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Seeking Cruise Companion (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/seeking-cruise-companion/)
-   -   Looking for Roommate out of Galveston July/August (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/seeking-cruise-companion/353103-looking-roommate-out-galveston-july-august.html)

Love2Teach4 July 5th, 2008 04:46 AM

Looking for Roommate out of Galveston July/August

I have been on a cruise once before. I am looking for a cruise buddy to avoid paying double occupancy. I am a young teacher, non-smoker and social drinker. I am easy to get along with. I am maried with 1 daughter. Id like to go on a cruise In July or August returning before the 6th of August.

xCalBear July 5th, 2008 01:11 PM

Carnival is the only player in Texas.

Divemaster July 5th, 2008 02:41 PM

Might also try Carnival out of Miami, instead of Galveston?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xCalBear

Love2Teach4 July 5th, 2008 04:56 PM

ahh I see that now... Well I am looking to not spend money on a plane ticket. I can drive to Galveston.

Divemaster July 5th, 2008 05:34 PM

Just make sure the fare is not a better deal out of Miami - the Galveston fares now seem to have a premium (no competition)? If Galveston, park at a private lot (other than the port authority parking) for the shuttles. Port authority parking is more of a hassle.

BTW, my diver kiddo and I do school presentations locally when our fins are drying out.

Have fun during the rest of the break. 8)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love2Teach4
ahh I see that now... Well I am looking to not spend money on a plane ticket. I can drive to Galveston.

Love2Teach4 July 5th, 2008 05:49 PM

Thats a good point! I did notice that they were cheaper last summer when we went. Thank you!

xCalBear July 5th, 2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Lousiana isnt far drive from TeXas. You may have better cruise selections from Lousiana. also, check out SWA. very cheap flights to Florida from TeXas.

Snoozeman July 6th, 2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Lousiana isnt far drive from TeXas. You may have better cruise selections from Lousiana. also, check out SWA. very cheap flights to Florida from TeXas.

Better selections from NOLA? I don't think so.

OP: I'll look for a deal. :)

xCalBear July 6th, 2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman
Quote:

Quote:

Better selections from NOLA? I don't think so.

OP: I'll look for a deal. :)

Never heard of Nola. Is that the redneck area??

Snoozeman July 6th, 2008 03:04 PM

NOLA

If you don't know what it means, you probably shouldn't be giving advise about it.

xCalBear July 6th, 2008 04:54 PM

Re: NOLA

Quote:

If you don't know what it means, you probably shouldn't be giving advise about it.

Pardon me for being young and stupid. I still have many things to learn. So, kindly educate me on the meaning and whereabout of Nola, please. I do know for a fact that Texas has three ports for commercial cruise, but only one is open for business. Unfortunately, Carnival is the only player in Texas (for now). Other cruise lines boycott Texas port authority because of high port tax and fee.

Now, assuming you're from nowhereland, Texas; Lousiana port is still the next nearest port for Texas residents. Am I correct??? :wink:

xCalBear July 6th, 2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divemaster

Quote:

If you're Texas resident, I do not recommend Miami. flight is too bloody expensive. I'd suggest Fort Lauderdale instead. Use Delta/SWA. Expect to pay under $200 for roundfare during off-peak. Also, check out Los Angeles port. Sometimes you can find cheap flights to LA, but ground transportation from airport to cruise port is very expensive. Try getting more people to split cab fare.

Snoozeman July 6th, 2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Pardon me for being young and stupid. I still have many things to learn. So, kindly educate me on the meaning and whereabout of Nola, please. I do know for a fact that Texas has three ports for commercial cruise, but only one is open for business. Unfortunately, Carnival is the only player in Texas (for now). Other cruise lines boycott Texas port authority because of high port tax and fee.

Now, assuming you're from nowhereland, Texas; Lousiana port is still the next nearest port for Texas residents. Am I correct??? :wink:

JFGI--or try: NOLA.com

Yes, you have a lot to learn.

xCalBear July 6th, 2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

JFGI--or try: NOLA.com

Yes, you have a lot to learn.

Learning is my passion ;-) btw, can you just tell me in your own word about Nola?? :roll:

Snoozeman July 6th, 2008 06:04 PM

It's the universal (maybe not in California) abbreviation for: New Orleans, Louisiana

NO = New Orleans

LA = Louisiana

NOLA = New Orleans, Louisiana.

xCalBear July 6th, 2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

It's the universal (maybe not in California) abbreviation for: New Orleans, Louisiana

NO = New Orleans

LA = Louisiana

NOLA = New Orleans, Louisiana.

Ah! silly name, indeed.

Divemaster July 7th, 2008 12:28 AM

Right, SWA to FLL then shuttle to Miami. BTW, NOLA is the Big Easy although I have never heard it called NOLA locally. My boss certainly never calls it such and she knows her king cakes. 8) Have cruised out of the port - favorite part is when the ship transitions between salt and fresh water on the river. The buoyancy of the water differs so there is a bit of a bump.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divemaster

Quote:

If you're Texas resident, I do not recommend Miami. flight is too bloody expensive. I'd suggest Fort Lauderdale instead. Use Delta/SWA. Expect to pay under $200 for roundfare during off-peak. Also, check out Los Angeles port. Sometimes you can find cheap flights to LA, but ground transportation from airport to cruise port is very expensive. Try getting more people to split cab fare.

jayc July 15th, 2008 02:21 AM

are you still lookin

Im looking to go on a cruise as a last minute trip. Last week of July or 1st week of Aug

airtrafficcontroller July 16th, 2008 11:42 PM

already have a roommate?

i am looking to book the carnival ecstasy 31july-4aug out of galveston too & wanted someone to share my cabin costs too. have you already found someone? i also am a non-smoker, social drinker.