Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Seeking Cruise Companion
Register Forgot Password?

Seeking Cruise Companion For people looking for share cruise expenses as roommates. Sexual or suggestives posts will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Beginner

Default What is the best way to pay with an unknown cabinmate?

I'm considering booking a cruise with an unknown cabinmate that I have been corresponding with here. I was wondering what is the best way to book/pay for the cruise? What ways are considered the best/safest so as not to get burned when making payment? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:43 PM
quahog03

Default Thanks for the post

It's a great question.
Ed
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Beginner

What about Paypal?
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Did the companion book through a travel agent or directly through the cruiseline? In either case teh payment is charged directly by the cruiseline. If the booking was done directly through the Cruise line then you should be able to call them and give them your credit card for your half. If a TA was used then the agent will have to call in the payment to the cruiseline. Most cruiselines will have travel agent locators on their websites. You can use this tool to verify the agency that the companion is using. You can also verify the agency by looking them up independantly and calling to speak with them. Credit card (NOT a debit card with visa or MC logo) is best. This way you can dispute and unauthorized charges before you pay them If you pay with check or a debit card you have to fight to get back money you already paid. Your credit card company will offer the best protection. If the other passenger has already paid the balance and wants you to pay them, then it gets tricky. Many cruiselines will allow a TA to refund part of the payment back to the original card and then immediatly charge the other portion to a different card. This way you would be using your card for your half and still have your protections. Paypal is a waste of time and offers little or no protections. This person is not shipping you anything. If they do not have a merchant paypal account you can not use a credit card and must pay from your bank account. Kiss that goodbye if there is a problem.
Again the best way to do it is to each pay your own half on a credit card through a REAL Travel agent and not some big online cruise discount website. Pick a specific agent with a direct phone number from a verifiable office. You'll get the best service this way as well and you will not pay anymore than if you book elsewhere. Most cruiselines prohibit any agency from selling a cruise cheaper than their lowest website price.
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Passenger

I have just paid my half for a cruise with another member here and we each charged our portion by credit card. I decided to purchase insurance for my flight and for the cruise just in case an emergency came up and found that it also covers you in case your travel partner has to cancel. In that case you would have to pay as a single in the room, but would be reimbursed for the other person's half by the insurance. I never bought insurance before, but my last cruise I injured my knee the night before and was in a wheelchair for the entire trip and almost didn't make it at all. I think insurance would be a good idea because even if you went with a friend something could happen to either person and you would be covered. The cost goes by the cost of the cruise. Just a suggestion.
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Getting trip insurance is always important. You never know what will happen and it is nice to be covered and not have to worry about "what if". Bob
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: What is the best way to pay with an unknown cabinmate?

Hello,
<<Message deleted by poster>>
Thank you.
Old December 28th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Familiar Face

Default making payment on cruise

If you book through a travel agent or directly with the cruise line they can charge each of you credit cards separately for 1/2 of the total cruise fare.
That is the only and safest way to do it. JOAN M
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Passenger

Hello,
Thank you.
Old December 28th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Familiar Face

just as important the 1st person listed on the tickets is considered the person responsible for the room. so if something in the room is damaged or stolen, stuff is taken from the minibar/frig, calls are made on the phone, etc... its the responsibilty of #1. kind of a bad situation but i guess theres nothing else the cruise lines can do because somebody has to be responsible for the room. on a singles cruise my roomie missed the ship in one port and got back on in another port and a family member died too. my roomie made as few calls as possible but the bill was about $150 for about 6 or 8 calls on my account. always have extra cash or a credit card with some credit available. the cruiseline will not take checks and you won't be able to leave the terminal untill your bill has been paid and they don't care if you miss your flight.
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Passenger

Hello,
Thank you.
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Familiar Face

Cruise lines will split the booking and accept payment from two different people. I would suggest going that way.
Old December 30th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveholman
Cruise lines will split the booking and accept payment from two different people. I would suggest going that way.
Right.For the initial payment of the cruise that works.But I believe if there are any damages or phone calls made it's charged to the first person on the reservation.
No not a great situation if your the first one on the reservation.
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Familiar Face

OH, that part...never really thought about it, I have personally never had an issue with it. Sorry.
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Familiar Face

1/7
It's very simple, have done it three times. I use my travel agent. First, I book the cruise and make a down payment. Next, I have the cruisemate
call my agent and sign on as second occupant. Then have the person pay their share to the cruise line by a three way call to the cruise line with their credit card. This way you do not handle the money nor does the agent. It makes for a clean transaction.
Cruisinbill billsimn2@juno.com
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Familiar Face

1/7
It's very simple, have done it three times. I use my travel agent. First, I book the cruise and make a down payment. Next, I have the cruisemate
call my agent and sign on as second occupant. Then have the person pay their share to the cruise line by a three way call to the cruise line with their credit card. This way you do not handle the money nor does the agent. It makes for a clean transaction.
Cruisinbill billsimon2@juno.com
Old January 8th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Passenger

Default This is how I booked with an unknown cabin mate....

I called Carnival the other day to book a cruise with an unknown cabin mate.They took my info and deposit and put a 24 hour hold on the reservation to give my "unknown cabin mate" enough time to call and give their info and deposit.The Carnival agent offered to let me pay my unknown cabin mates deposit also and transfer it over after they called and booked but I did NOT do this nor do I reccommend any one else do it either.
My "unknown cabin mate" never booked so it cancelled.....
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Familiar Face

1/8
Debbie,
You did the right thing. Don't use your money for the cruisemate. Have them contact cruiseline and make payment arrangements. Happy cruisng.
Crusinbill billsimon2@juno.com
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Great tips Bill! Thanks for the information. Bob
Old January 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Passenger

TTT
This post has got some good info in it about paying with an unknown cabin mate and so I put it back To The Top....for others who could benefit from this information.
Old February 28th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Passenger

Cruise lines/Agents will split the booking and accept payment from two different people. I have cruised this way on the last 17 voyages.
Sharing a cabin but paying separately including on board accounts.
Its all too easy

Im a single Australian Cruiser and always looking to share.

Safe Travels.Antony