CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Seeking Cruise Companion (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/seeking-cruise-companion/)
-   -   12-nt Eastern Med on Nieuw Amsterdam, May 2011 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/seeking-cruise-companion/372067-12-nt-eastern-med-nieuw-amsterdam-may-2011-a.html)

jeph February 25th, 2010 10:48 PM

12-nt Eastern Med on Nieuw Amsterdam, May 2011

I've had my eye on this exceptional itinerary for a while-- I even tried to talk my brother and his girlfriend into going in Sept or Oct of 2010-- but other realities intervened on their part. As things stand, I'm resolved to make the booking immediately, and go by myself if nobody else steps in. It would be far from the first time it's worked out that way-- but a roomie could cut the cost by about a thousand bucks, particularly if we also split a couple of hotel nights in Venice before boarding.

Here's the itinerarary:

Day 1 (April 30, 2011): Board mid-day; ship remains in Venice overnight, serving as our hotel for an additional night in the city.

Day 2: Sail from Venice at 5pm

Day 3: Split, Croatia (by tender), 9am-4pm

Day 4: at sea

Day 5: Piraeus/Athens, 8am-5pm

Day 6: arrive Istanbul 4pm-- overnight stay

Day 7: depart Istanbul 5pm

Day 8: Mykonos, (by tender) 1pm-11pm

Day 9: Kusadasi, Turkey (port for excursions to Roman ruins at Ephesus), 7am-7pm

Day 10: Santorini, (by tender) 8am-5pm

Day 11: Katakolon, (port for excursions to site of ancient Olympics) 9am-5pm

Day 12: at sea

Day 13: arrive back in Venice, 7am

The best per-person prices I've seen thus far for a cat. G cabin (partial view, upper promenade deck) are a bit over $1900. This is Holland America's newest vessel, (the maiden voyage is this July) with a few new specialty restaurant options and other bells and whistles.

I'm Jeff, and I live in western Mass. About to turn 51, an experienced cruiser, although this will be my first cruise in European waters. I'm very much interested in architecture, cultural landmarks and photography, and I figure this trip has to be a shutterbug's dream. I'm very active when I cruise, covering a lot of ground on foot. It could be enjoyable to spend a lot of time together and share expenses ashore, but if your interests and pace are altogether different, ("A few hours of shopping, and then hit the nearest beach!") then I won't take offense if we usually wind up going our separate ways. I like wine with dinner, but I'm anything but a "party-hearty" type, and I'm hoping to find someone quiet, reasonably neat, responsible, and considerate. Although I assume most of those responding to this posting will be male, women are welcome as well-- I would have absolutely no expectations of romance. I think I'd be most likely to get along with someone within a decade or so either way in age. I can't stand cigarette smoke, so I don't want to room with anyone who'd be lighting up in the cabin. Also, NOT SNORING is KEY!:p

I think that covers the territory pretty well-- so how about you?

Here's to smooth sailing-- "jeph"

jeph March 8th, 2010 09:42 PM

Update

To clarify: when I put this original post up, I had already put down my deposit. Because of this, the price I mentioned-- just over $1900 per person double occupany-- will hold, even as the "current going rate" rises over the coming months. (A fuel supplement of about $108 pp might get tacked on if oil prices stay high, but there's no controlling that!)

Using these boards in the past, I have more than once found myself in the position of being left to pay the full solo price because a roomie I had come to an agreement with many months in advance had to back out for one reason or another when we were much closer to the sail date. So I'm hoping to hear from multiple people. Even if we don't wind up sharing the cabin, we might still be on the same sailing, and hang out onboard, share a taxi and make up our own excursions onshore, etc.

Best wishes for smooth sailing, "jeph"-- future tenant of cabin 4063

Mistyseas March 12th, 2010 03:16 PM

Hi Jeff,
I am a single 40 year old wf who'd love to go to Europe. I think the ports sound great on this cruise. I have cruised 11 times but never with Holland America. I am probably the sort who will spend half her port days at the beach but you never know...I am also a history nut and it might be a tug to decide. I'm looking for someone considerate who doesn't hog all the hangers in the cabin:) I am neat and polite. I'm not looking for anything but a cost split and perhaps friendship.

Sylvia

jeph March 13th, 2010 10:30 PM

The more the merrier

Sylvia, despite my outstanding ability to make the most of any hanger supply by using one hanger for multiple garments,:p I must confess that I have already been in touch with a recently retired woman from Scotland, who had quickly contacted me via private message. We began to exchange emails, and in a lengthy telephone conversation, we seemed to be getting along well enough that I went ahead and added her name as the second passenger on the cabin reservation.

However, this cruise is still a long way off, and some problem could crop up that might prevent her-- or me, for that matter!-- from making the trip...so it certainly never hurts to have a backup plan. Likewise, if you're really interested in going, you might consider ME as YOUR "backup plan"-- and continue to look for someone to room with, maybe by starting a thread of your own on this board. This far out from the sail date, you can easily do as I did-- make a reservation, planning to add a second passenger name later-- and cancel without penalty in plenty of time if you have no luck.

It's always nice to have more people you practically know, at least from online or telephone interactions, onboard to spend time with, so I hope to see you there!

Please keep me posted...Best wishes, "jeph"

vinodpuran March 16th, 2010 01:09 PM

Jeph,

Looks like an ideal itinerary for me too. I am interested! I am a 63 year old, male, straight, CPA from the Chicago area. I have been on several cruises, but none to Europe. I really like your description - I too enjoy history and architectural marvels (I have been all over the world). We could tour together, or simply split to avoid the single supplement fee. I do not smoke or drink. Also, don't snorkel. :)

Please let me know if you are interested. You can reply here or to my email at VinodPuran@live.com

Thanks,
Vin