Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Seeking Cruise Companion
Register Forgot Password?

Seeking Cruise Companion For people looking for share cruise expenses as roommates. Sexual or suggestives posts will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Advise please - Rome hotels, visas & laundry

I have trip planned to Rome for 5 nights and then 4/5/11 med. cruise for 13 nights. This is my first Mediterranean cruise.

-->> Any recommendations on hotels in Rome that are clean, cheap, walking distance of interesting sites.

-->> Concerned about laundry on the 20 day total trip.
Coin op. in Rome??
Ship is Mariner of the Seas - no coin op. Anyone know the cost of laundry services?

-->> Is the Mediterranean much rougher than the Caribbean?

Appears no viva required for Italy, Greece and Israel - please advise if I am wrong. Visa required for Turkey; but, says "...obtain sticker type visas at the Turkish International border gates..." Is there a 'border gate' where the ship docks? Do I obtain this in advance? How.

Appreciate the assistance of the wise and experienced travelers on this site.

Phyllis
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Look up Rome hotels on Tripadvisor.com. Terrific site with hundreds/thousands candid reader reviews. Never been steered wrong using them yet. Med usually like a bathtub. I would be more worried about rain. Last May it rained about 14 days straight. Hotelier said it had been raining for 2 weeks before too.
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Familiar Face

you do not need a visa....we were there is July--- it is hot in the summer..we had a guide everywhere we went.....go to TREVI FOUNTAIN huge !!!!!!!!! and don't miss anything!!!!! go to the Vatican .it is RIGHT THERE......there is sooooo much to see !
Old February 26th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I highly recommend Hotel Guiliana. It is about a block from the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, which is where several popes and prominent catholics, as well as Bernini, are buried. The hotel is also within walking distance (10-15 min if I recall) of the Roman Forum/Colliseum, or if you'd prefer, two or three blocks from a Metro station from where you can very easily get to any of the major tourist spots. The Hotel felt almost like bed and breakfast... it is family-owned and run (they are originally from England, so language is not a barrier), and the staff went above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed our time in Rome. The hotel rooms were a good size, and very clean. Breakfast was included, and although basic, very enjoyable. Someday if/when I make it back to Rome, I will book with them again in a heartbeat.

http://www.hotelgiuliana.com/

In my (limited) experience, the Mediterranean was slightly rougher seas than the Caribbean, but nothing to worry about. Also, I *think* the cruise ship handled the issue of Visas for us in Turkey, but it is definitely worth double checking.
Old February 26th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Welcome Newcomer

ps. In Turkey, check out Ekol Travel for your shore excursions. They were fantastic, and very affordable.
Old February 26th, 2011, 11:49 PM
First Mate

Default Cheap hotels in Rome!

I am not afraid to check out Youth Hostels when I travel. You need to be open to sharing with other people, most of which will be younger than 30 especailly in the summer. Also there will be fewer Americans, but many of the Europeans will be able to speak English to you.

I've not been to Europe at all, only South and Central America, but those affiliated with Youth Hostel International are about the same in every big city.

When I say "sharing", I mean sharing the bathroom , you can share a room or get a private room for more $$.

Edwin
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank for the info.

So excited.