CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Seeking Cruise Companion (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/seeking-cruise-companion/)
-   -   How does it work? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/seeking-cruise-companion/385524-how-does-work.html)

Deo Carvalho October 17th, 2011 04:47 PM

How does it work?

Hey people!

I'm wondering how to make the purchase with another person. I'm guessing the only (or best) way of doing it would be to get together and one would make the purchase and get the money from the other. Is there another way?

Thanks everyone!

-André

ruthlessboss October 17th, 2011 05:11 PM

A booking agent can link them. In my case I provided basic info for my roomshare, birthday, address etc, e mail address. Sometimes they'll do it in a conference call. In my case, I knew my roomie and paid it, she sent the money to repay. Not sure I'd do it that way with someone I wasn't sure of. Anyway an agent can do it. Later when you set up your account, each signs in individually.

Sistersolo October 17th, 2011 06:15 PM

The best way is to use a travel agent to do your booking. Then each of you separately call the TA, and provide your individual credit card info. No one needs to have anything to do with the other's money or information.

Deo Carvalho October 18th, 2011 07:36 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Do you know how much more expensive it gets in average to have an agent do it? And could you suggest a few of them?

Cheers!

-André

Sistersolo October 18th, 2011 10:30 AM

It is no more expensive to book through an agent than to do it alone. The agents will quote the same rates as the cruiselines are offering at the time. The only difference is that SOMETIMES the agent will provide a small bonus, like a bottle of wine in your cabin or a bit of on-board credit.

Check out whatever agents may be close to you; if they don't have lots of cruise line brochures on display, they may not have as much cruise experience. Or try one of the on-line agents, like Vacations to Go that has been frequently mentioned on these posts, though they won't offer you any bennies unless you specifically ask about them.

ednotmilkman October 18th, 2011 02:12 PM

If one of you has already booked the cabin ahead, then I'd say just let the 2nd person show up at the port with cash in hand for their share of the room, unless you live close enough to meet before the trip. If they don't have the cash or they don't show, you just go on without them.

Trip October 18th, 2011 04:05 PM

Ed, you can't really think that's going to work, do you? You have to pay off the full balance 60-75 days prior to sailing.....

Let's say for the sake of argument, that could happen..if #2 didn't show...#1 picks up the full fare.:(

brad813 October 18th, 2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sistersolo (Post 1397434)
It is no more expensive to book through an agent than to do it alone. The agents will quote the same rates as the cruiselines are offering at the time. The only difference is that SOMETIMES the agent will provide a small bonus, like a bottle of wine in your cabin or a bit of on-board credit.

Check out whatever agents may be close to you; if they don't have lots of cruise line brochures on display, they may not have as much cruise experience. Or try one of the on-line agents, like Vacations to Go that has been frequently mentioned on these posts, though they won't offer you any bennies unless you specifically ask about them.

Being a travel agent and agency owner myself, and assuming you don't get an agent who loves to use ancillary fees, and I hate these agents, you can sometimes even save money over the cruise line direct prices. If you use a travel agent, ask if they have any promotional groups for that sailing. A promotional group is basically a group where the people don't necessarily know each other, and some agencies use them(my own included) to lower prices and offer extra booking incentives. Also, cruise lines themselves offer special sales for National Cruise Vacation Week(which is going on right now) and Wave Season(January), so keep this in mind as well. There are a lot of ways a good travel agent can save you money or offer extras over what you get when you book direct.

brad813 October 18th, 2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1397475)
Ed, you can't really think that's going to work, do you? You have to pay off the full balance 60-75 days prior to sailing.....

Let's say for the sake of argument, that could happen..if #2 didn't show...#1 picks up the full fare.:(

I agree....the other person has to be financially invested upon agreeing. Some cruise lines at least offer single supplements of less than 200%, or run sales for that(MSC Cruises is one that I see this a lot out of).

DebCruiser October 20th, 2011 01:14 AM

You can book through any company, even a discounted one like Cruise.com and each person pays their share with their credit card. I would do the same thing whether I was traveling with a friend or somebody I met on line.