Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Seeking Cruise Companion
Register Forgot Password?

Seeking Cruise Companion For people looking for share cruise expenses as roommates. Sexual or suggestives posts will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Yahoo to flbigbear
Post MWM 60 New To Cruising Seeking Female Guidance

Hello, my name is Rob and I'm new to the cruising world. I won't officially be 60 until November 24th. Although I am married I would be doing a cruise on my own, I'll explain that if asked. Since I've not done any cruising before and live in the Orlando, FL area I am thinking a short one out of the Port Canaveral area might be wise. I have read several posts of people seeking a cruise mate and I can tell that I would be much better off cruising with a woman for a travel companion. Also, seeing the difference in the cost of going solo versus sharing a room it just seems more practical to share.
I have my passport, have never used it though. I'm leaving on a trip to the Pacific Northwest on November 22nd and am thinking it would be really nice if a short cruise could be done before then. A little bit of info about me: I stand 6'5" tall, am the quintessential overgrown teddy bear, use a sleep machine so I do not snore. While I am not a party animal by nature I tend to take on the characteristics of those around me. So a woman who enjoys social activities helps me stay out of my shell. I am a non-smoker and would need the same.
So if you would like to get away on a short cruise and show me the ropes I would appreciate hearing from you.
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbigbear View Post
Hello, my name is Rob and I'm new to the cruising world. I won't officially be 60 until November 24th. Although I am married I would be doing a cruise on my own, I'll explain that if asked. Since I've not done any cruising before and live in the Orlando, FL area I am thinking a short one out of the Port Canaveral area might be wise. I have read several posts of people seeking a cruise mate and I can tell that I would be much better off cruising with a woman for a travel companion. Also, seeing the difference in the cost of going solo versus sharing a room it just seems more practical to share.
I have my passport, have never used it though. I'm leaving on a trip to the Pacific Northwest on November 22nd and am thinking it would be really nice if a short cruise could be done before then. A little bit of info about me: I stand 6'5" tall, am the quintessential overgrown teddy bear, use a sleep machine so I do not snore. While I am not a party animal by nature I tend to take on the characteristics of those around me. So a woman who enjoys social activities helps me stay out of my shell. I am a non-smoker and would need the same.
So if you would like to get away on a short cruise and show me the ropes I would appreciate hearing from you.
It would be nice if someone could step forward to help you out. Right now cruise prices are at their lowest. Royal Caribbean just had a promo for Oct 31, for solo cruisers. If I wasn't booked for the end of the month, I might have considered. It sure cuts the rate for Carnival down, a solo pays double. I have a roomshare on Ecstasy, it will be at Canaveral starting Nov 7. The ship is the size of Sensation but has won multiple awards.
Old October 28th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Welcome Newcomer

thanks for the reply ruthlessboss.

newbie questions:
what's the benefit of the ship's size and winning awards?

from your experience what is the best length of a cruise for beginners?

is there a minimum cabin category that people prefer who share rooms?

(geez, i sound like the neighbors 3 year-old granddaughter with all the questions)
Old October 29th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbigbear View Post
thanks for the reply ruthlessboss.

newbie questions:
what's the benefit of the ship's size and winning awards?

from your experience what is the best length of a cruise for beginners?

is there a minimum cabin category that people prefer who share rooms?

(geez, i sound like the neighbors 3 year-old granddaughter with all the questions)
Ship size becomes a preference for some. Makes it easier to get around and is without hoards of people at poolside. My largest ship was Carnival Dream, it didn't turn out to be my preference.
The awards is of no benefit technically, but adds to the looks of the ship, it's activities offered. Ecstasy, although an old ship, will be new to Canaveral, so we are excited at the 5 night itinerary, alternates Key West, and their private island for a day.
As for cruise length for a newbie, I feel a 3 or 4 nighter is good, keeping in mind the 3 nighters are weekenders, more younger people than during weekday ones. Carnival will not lose their reputation they built initially as a party ship, but it is not. I still do shorter ones as a getaway.
Cabin catagory is so individual. If I go solo, I stay in cheapest catagory (remember you pay more), but with a roomshare, I can go on longer cruises, prefer a balcony. I smoke, and won't smoke in an inside cabin, so that enters my decision to go straight to a balcony. You don't spend much time in an inside cabin, but it's adequate, only has 4 walls. But, you still go to the same places, have same dining options, same activity options etc. as a higher price cabin.
Old October 29th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Now that is sharing information, WOW!!
Pragmatic & practical seems to be the theme from what you shared. It all makes sense when I read it. The tip about the weekend 3 nighters infested with young people sounds like it comes from the school of experience as does the shipís size. I noticed the shipís length and beam are listed on the individual cruiseís page. Another priceless tidbit for a newbie. I know there has to be enough people on the ship for the cruise line to make money; I donít want to feel like a sardine though.
I think Iím down to just 1 question left before I throw myself out there to see if something comes together. That question is, when looking to room share what is the protocol for letting others know your dollar limit? Do you just put a dollar amount and then work with someone to find a room that fits both budgets? Should I list my room preferences and then find out what anotherís budget allows?
I appreciate your willingness to share and educate very, very much.
Old October 29th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Admiral

I see several ways people post. If you find a super good deal, you might post that dollar amount. Otherwise, leave it open to chat with the person, he/she may already have a preference.
Before you ask, if you find a roomshare, you book and give private info to one travel agent, that agent will link the booking together.
I don't know how successful this site is, sometimes you see no follow through on the site, but maybe the final steps are done on a more personal level.
P.S. I answered your e mail.