CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (
-   Seeking Cruise Companion (
-   -   River Cruising - Away from the Ordinary (

ednotmilkman December 2nd, 2012 01:25 AM

River Cruising - Away from the Ordinary
I doubt there will be any interest here, but I like to take trips sometimes off the path of the typical American tourist. I'm in no hurry to go, anytime before I turn 60 will be OK. So, ...........

Anybody interested in a river cruise on the Amazon for a week or two?

Or how about the Volga River in the heart of Russia and Ukraine from Moscow or St. Petersburg all the way down to the Black Sea? This one takes 2 to 3 weeks. The only thing I know about Russia is from three books I've read recently, but I enjoy seeing things besides typical European palaces, cathedrals and museums.

I have some info about the Volga cruise, but have not checked into Amazon trips yet. Danube River might be a good cruise too, but don't know if that is considered "off the ordinary path" since my parents have taken a luxury cruise on it. Anything else out of the ordinary you have dreamed of, let me know ! I'm a Couch Surf, youth hostel traveler as well as cruise ship guy, but I don't learn new languages well enough to go without some English guide, and ships are nice to travel on even if they are only 2 1/2 star rated. A good companion would be interested in learning some about the culture, and easy to talk with to find out if we could get along. I'm 52 and should get along fine with most that like this idea.

Your comments will be appreciated, even if you can't do this type trip now.
While I'm here, I'm dreaming of a two week trip to HI that includes the NCL Pride of America cruise also. December 2nd, 2012 01:04 PM

You will find river cruising amazing! We are definitely hooked on them and can't wait for the next one. They are entirely different than ocean cruises in every way. And there are so many wonderful itineraries out there to choose from, not to mention many wonderful river cruise companies.

As for Hawaii, we spent 3 weeks there last year, including a one-week cruise on the Pride of America. Truly awesome cruise! While the ship is okay, the crew was fantastic. The food wasn't all that good, but we didn't do the cruise for the ship - we did it for the itinerary and we were not disappointed. Great way to see the islands. One suggestion; don't need to do any excursions. Best to just pre-reserve a rental car in each port and do your own thing. Definitely cheaper, easier, and affords you an opportunity to do what you want, go where you want, and see what you want without the high price and crowds.

daffodil848 December 4th, 2012 01:14 PM

Hi Ed, Wow, I think a river cruise sounds interesting!

ednotmilkman December 4th, 2012 07:16 PM

hi daffodil,

The obvious drawback is they are not cheap like the mass market ocean cruises.

NWcruiser February 8th, 2013 04:38 PM

I have actually been looking at a partial river cruise with biking trip in Holland. You bike on your own through the countryside with overnights in small inns and then you take a river boat back to your starting point. It sounds wonderful! I think a river cruise in Germany would be fun as well.

ednotmilkman February 9th, 2013 08:11 PM

Hi NW, Can you show us the web site for the river and bicyling tours you are looking at ?