Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Seeking Cruise Companion
Register Forgot Password?

Seeking Cruise Companion For people looking for share cruise expenses as roommates. Sexual or suggestives posts will be deleted.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Skype™ to hytenjr
Default Does So. Caribbean out of San Juan sound good to anyone?

All the 7 day cruises out of San Juan stop at 5 islands. I want to bicycle on each of them. Maybe you'd like to .. or maybe not.
I am an athletic 70+ DWM who does not smoke so you should not either. I don't drink but I can still be an entertaining conversationalist. I love the great eating that cruises offer ... and I bike to burn off the calories.
Early January cruises are very cheap.
Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2012, 04:32 PM
First Mate

Sounds like my perfect trip too ! I even bought a fold-up bicycle in 2010 so I could carry it on board and then pedal the islands. One word of caution however, some of the "British" islands want you to fill out customs forms to make sure you don't try to sell the bike duty-free?? I had serious delays on Carnival going ashore in the Bahamas, not sure if it was more the ship or the country. When the ship saw I had a bicycle that I got out for the day in Key West, they weighed it both coming and going?? Like if I had planned on bringing back contraband, I was too dumb to fill the tires and frame with sand and then return with the illegal stuff inside. Then they wanted to record the serial #, then call ahead to the Bahama customs office for permission before they let me off with it the next day. Then I had to wait in the customs office for my turn to get the official "go ahead". I had no questions asked at all, and no paperwork to do on Princess going ashore on Bonaire, Grenada (also a British island) and US Virgin Islands.

As for going with you, hytenjr, I might be interested. Depends on whether I take a backpack trip this winter or not, and, if you are like me, I wouldn't want to keep you from going with a nice adventurous lady that might also be interested.

Keep in touch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BackAtFt.Lauderdale-reduced.jpg (90.8 KB, 7 views)

Jun2009-Alaska - Celebrity Mercury@ Vancouver
Dec2009-Mex&C.A.-NCL Spirit @ NOLA
Mar2010-Aru&Cura-HA WesterdamDam @ Ft. Lau
Dec2010-Caribb- MSC Poesia @ Ft. Lau
Dec2011-S. Caribb- Emerald Princess@Ft Lau
Apr2012-Bahamas- CCL Fascination@ Jacksville
Jan2013-E Caribbean- RC Brilliance @ San Juan,PR
ApMay'13-VolgaRiver-MS Chaikovsky-Rostov to Moscow
Nov2014-Bahamas- CCL Fascination@Jacksville

Last edited by ednotmilkman; December 19th, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Familiar Face

Default Cruising this winter

I am a separated wm. 70 also, and fit. I ski, hike, and work out all the time. Recently retired and full of vigor to travel. Took my granddaughter to Europe last summer. Now I want to cruise, open to all ideas. Oh, did I mention that I also bike! I also think about a transatlantic or way cruise. Keep in touch.
Old December 20th, 2012, 04:11 PM
First Mate

If we pack light, we might even make a 3-some if it would save some money?? Get a balcony and store our extra luggage, my fold-up bike, etc. outside ! would you want to spend extra days in Puerto Roco pre or post cruise, hytenjr?

Post you prefered ships, cabin type and dates soon for us to consider.

Edwin
Old December 20th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Skype™ to hytenjr
Default My thoughts on San Juan cruise.

There are three choices out of San Juan: Carnival Victory, Celebrity Summit. and Royal Caribbean Brilliance. Carnival is the cheapest but I think I would rather do one of the others. My budget and backpacker mentality guides me to the cheapest room. I've seen some great prices at the agency that works with Delta employees ... my son is a Delta pilot. Should get a new price list tomorrow, the 21st. Will propose dates then.
I will go down to PR early to check out the places where I worked and lived in '75-'76. I'll rent a car. There is a hostel in old San Juan but two could stay as cheaply near the Condado beach and airport.
I planned to rent a bike on each island. Not necessarily cheap, but far less costly than ship tours ... and no customs worry.
If you want to talk about it let me know and I'll send my phone number in a private message.
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:55 PM
First Mate

Hytenjr, any of the 3 ships will be fine with me. Have already been on Carnival and Celebrity but not RCCL. I rode a bit around St. Thomas and Grenada in 2010 on my first trip with the fold-up bike, and I also saw Dominica, but there is plenty more to see no matter.

If all three of us want to go together, there is a chance my former Cruise Mates buddy would also join us so we can get 2 cabins. I'll ask her after you give us dates and prices. She is a REAL cruise junkie as she likes to cruise 4 weeks every winter! She did a San Juan cruise last year but I don't know which ship. I'm sure it was one of these 7 night iteneraries. I wonder if you can reserve an extra room if your rate is better than what I could get ? Would you want company on your pre- cruise trip?

Here is the VTG price list ( for comparison to your travel agency) for the San Juan departures in Jan and Feb under $750 for inside cabin
Discount Cruises, Last-Minute Cruises, Short Notice Cruises - Vacations To Go

Notice that if you wanted to take a 3 legged flight to San Juan and then return from Miami and have an extra day on board, Carnival Victory is repositioning back to Miami after the Jan 27 departure from San Juan.

Edwin

Last edited by ednotmilkman; December 21st, 2012 at 12:01 AM. Reason: added note about repositioning of Victory
Old December 30th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Familiar Face

Smile Beach bum

Hey there. I see you are interested in traveling on a cruise. I am a
35 year old straight female lookin for a partner. Mine bailed. I'm
booked and just need to add you on. It's the brilliance of the seas
out of San Juan from the 12-19 and the 19-26. Two cruises. 700 each
week for inside cabin on deck nine mid ship. I am so easy to get along
with. Email me. KathConserv@gmail.com
I've done this vacation many times and ya fabulous.
Kathleen

I go to the beach every day but would love to have dinner and you can tell me all about your bike rides.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:32 PM
First Mate

Default Bob and I finally got a date set to go !

good news,

Bob and I have settled on the Jan 19 sailing on RC Brilliance from San Juan. Now just waiting for him to pick the cheapest "interline" rate between VTG and his other travel agent.

So we will be on the 2nd leg of KathCoserv's b2b too. Now I can go over to "the other cruise fan site" and sign in for their roll call, which, if you do not know, is more active by far than the roll calls here.

Edwin