CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Seeking Cruise Companion (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/seeking-cruise-companion/)
-   -   Platonic Cruise Mates (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/seeking-cruise-companion/396777-platonic-cruise-mates.html)

HBCruisedoc June 3rd, 2013 05:43 PM

Platonic Cruise Mates

I am 59 y.o. married man and my wife does not want to cruise so I go alone. I haven't done so yet but I can see mutual benefit to sharing a cabin as platonic "cruise mates" besides the obvious cost savings.

For the woman.
1. Help with luggage & carry-on bags.
2. More safety walking about at ports and on excursions.
3. No dirty looks from women when you talk to their husbands (since you are with a man yourself)
4. A dinner & conversation companion.
5. Having a dance partner (no being asked by men you don't care to dance with or nobody at all) and
6. A platonic friend to spend a little or a lot of time with and no tension or expectations.

For the man it is many of the same advantages plus if you are walking around the port of call and get lost, the woman can ask directions since men never want to. :)

Sistersolo June 4th, 2013 09:28 AM

Except for the luggage bit, all are good points. (Luggage you can't manage easily yourself should not be considered carry-on.)

But the real question is, how would your WIFE feel about your having a female cruise partner? The suggestion might be enough to make her reconsider how much she likes cruising.

HBCruisedoc June 4th, 2013 03:18 PM

That's a Good Point

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sistersolo (Post 1475347)
Except for the luggage bit, all are good points. (Luggage you can't manage easily yourself should not be considered carry-on.)

But the real question is, how would your WIFE feel about your having a female cruise partner? The suggestion might be enough to make her reconsider how much she likes cruising.

That is a very good point and I trust that you are not judging me. My wife trusts me and knows that I love her and that I am devoted to her. She wants me to go and have a good time and knows that it includes dancing and being friendly (but not too friendly) with women on the the cruise. As for sharing a room, times have changed but some people still have the same values as they did 30 or more years ago and that's OK. Solo cruisers share a room primarily to save cost and be able to go on a better cruise. The fact is that anyone who wants to cheat while cruising can easily do so without booking a room together.

Paul Motter June 4th, 2013 09:53 PM

You'd better be careful - being such a gentleman she might also expect you to pay for the wine & taxis.

ednotmilkman June 5th, 2013 01:11 AM

Hi HB,

You could also ask to go with another like minded man and agree beforehand to help each other avoid doing things your wife would be hurt by if she knew.

That would make it even easier to find and befriend other ladies, as lots more women travel with their girlfriend. So two guys that are friends kinda helps prove that you are safe instead of "on the prowl" and 2 on 2 introductions are easier than 1 on 1 or 1 on 2, IMO.

I've cruised with 4 other guys, even though 2 of them were enough different than me that we didn't stick together except for dinner. One wasn't even interested in befriending anyone much.

HBCruisedoc June 7th, 2013 11:25 AM

Being a Gentleman

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1475407)
You'd better be careful - being such a gentleman she might also expect you to pay for the wine & taxis.

I am a gentleman and I would be happy to pick up the tab for wine or drinks without the expectation for anything other than pleasant conversation and a few dances. Many women today want to pay their own way (equality) and others like to be treated (lady-like) I can get along with both types.

HBCruisedoc June 7th, 2013 11:37 AM

Wish I could find another male friend to cruise with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ednotmilkman (Post 1475416)
Hi HB,

You could also ask to go with another like minded man and agree beforehand to help each other avoid doing things your wife would be hurt by if she knew.

That would make it even easier to find and befriend other ladies, as lots more women travel with their girlfriend. So two guys that are friends kinda helps prove that you are safe instead of "on the prowl" and 2 on 2 introductions are easier than 1 on 1 or 1 on 2, IMO.

I've cruised with 4 other guys, even though 2 of them were enough different than me that we didn't stick together except for dinner. One wasn't even interested in befriending anyone much.

I would prefer to share costs and cruise with a male friend but all my friends are married like I am and if they are into cruising (most are not) it is with the wife. I did cruise once with a another male and we only saw each other in the morning. I dislike appearing to be "on the prowl" when all I want is to get out on the dance floor and enjoy the music. That is why a female cruise partner that I can simply have some fun with on the cruise would be ideal. It really isn't at all about sex as far as I'm concerned. It is about having fun on the ship and making new friends. :)

Cruising1 June 7th, 2013 06:08 PM

I have my fingers crossed: did you ever find a cruise mate to go on a cruise? I see that your last post as far as I can tell was Oct 2012. I am looking for you, or your clone, for a cruise to Alaska in Sept 2013 leaving from Seattle, ending in Vancouver, BC. Fingers still crossed. I am a college-educated mother of 3 grown & a young grandma to 4 little ones, & not looking for romance. A dance partner &/or dinner companion would be a plus. Please, if you are interested, e-mail me: NJNative44@Gmail.com. I have just 3 weeks to firm up this cruise.

HBCruisedoc June 8th, 2013 12:23 AM

Keep those fingers crossed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruising1 (Post 1475681)
I have my fingers crossed: did you ever find a cruise mate to go on a cruise? I see that your last post as far as I can tell was Oct 2012. I am looking for you, or your clone, for a cruise to Alaska in Sept 2013 leaving from Seattle, ending in Vancouver, BC. Fingers still crossed. I am a college-educated mother of 3 grown & a young grandma to 4 little ones, & not looking for romance. A dance partner &/or dinner companion would be a plus. Please, if you are interested, e-mail me: NJNative44@Gmail.com. I have just 3 weeks to firm up this cruise.

Thank you for the compliment. That's very nice of you. I am already booked on a cruise at the end of Sept. so I cannot enjoy this Alaska cruise with you. I wish that I could. Post a new thread in this section and keep your fingers crossed that my clone replies. Good luck and have a fab cruise.