Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2000, 01:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default How about some shopping recommendations elsewhere

Looking for recommendations in European, Asian and island ports in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans.
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2000, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: How about some shopping recommendations elsewh

I too would like some recommendations on shopping in Europe, Milan and Venice especially. Thanks
Old October 10th, 2000, 01:22 PM
First Mate

Just returned from Grand Princess; Istanbul to Barcelona run. My favorite city was Venice -we had two days there; it is the most incredibly beautiful city I have ever seen in my life!!! Now; Shopping. Venice is glass. Glass beads are EVERYwhere, in various designs and lots of different colors etc - stands on the street sell them!! You see them so many places that you think they have no value; not true. These are Murano beads, made in the area -and for bringing gifts home -these can't be beat BECAUSE they pack small -I brought beads for my kids & grandkids and the bag was the size of around two pounds of hamburger.
I was familiar with Murano beads, I had bought a necklace for my mother-in-law around 25 years ago, light blue glass beads; if you would cut into these beads the color goes all the way thru rather than simply surface color. The second morning we went to a showroom and saw crystal vases, glasses etc - a few of the sculptures were extraordinarily expensive, but these are pieces of artwork. The clarity of the color is what differentiates them from anything else. Goblets were like holding cobwebs, they were such fine glassware; they ship & guarantee shipping safely.
The island of Murano is different, where much is produced & this is a -at LEAST -half day tour. You watch glass blowers do their thing; it is certainly an exact science. The glass we saw at the showrrom was flawless!
Now, back to the beads. They are quite cheap & found everywhere in Venice BUT you would be hardpressed to find such a display anywhere else in the world; keep that in mind as you shop, American money is readily accepted, as are major creditcards. I feel very foolish -I was just there, I bought 6 necklaces - I have given them all away; I should have bought TWICE that number! Anne
Old October 12th, 2000, 01:26 PM
Dawn Stefano

In Sydney, Australia:

1) The aboriginal art store on the second floor of the Darling Harbour Centre. Beautiful boomerangs, digideroos, paintings and interesting books about local lore and traditions. The Centre has many interesting shops in addition to some of the typical chain stores like Swatch.

2) Any of the shops throughout The Rocks near the harbor.

Both of these places are great for unique items as well as cheap souvenirs. And the exchange rate is currently very favorable for the US dollar.