Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2000, 06:54 PM
Mary Lou Scanlon

Default Digital Cameras???

Where is the best place to purchase a digital camera? How much can I expect to save by purchasing in the Caribbean, if anything?
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2001, 10:06 AM
FrankM

Default RE: Digital Cameras???

Mary Lou,

I purchased a digital camera in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, a couple of years ago during my port visit on the Norwegian Dream. I purchased it at the store in town called "Royal Caribbean" on Main Street, on the harbor side of the street (not the hill side). I think I saved about $200 on the camera that was advertised at about $1000.

I did my reasearch before I sailed on the cruise by getting Popular Photography Magazine and looking at the mail order adds in the back for "B & H Photo". There are many adds in that section, but I have heard people complain that other retailers adds are "Gray Market" or "bait-and-switch" prices made to lure you in and sell you items at higher hidden prices. "Grey Market"prices are products that are unauthorized imports and do not have a manufacture's warrenty. If you need warrenty repairs in the future, "Grey Market" items won't be honored by the manufacturer. It is best to buy an authorized import for the U.S.if you are buying a camera made overseas. B & H has the best reputation of them all. B &H also has a web site with their products that you can print out and carry with you. That web site is: http://www01.bhphotovideo.com/defaul...k__Aindex_html
Research a few camera models so you can select from what the shop carries and has in stock when you are shopping if you are not too particular in the camera you plan to purchase.Cut out the adds and carry them with you in your wallet. Don't pack them in your suitcase and forget them when you are shopping and comparing prices. Do your research and shop armed-to-the-teeth with the facts.

St. Maarten is also reputed to have good prices, if you are traveling there. I will find that out for myself in Feb. 2001 when I stop there on my Veendam cruise. I am looking to again buy some camera equipment. If the price is good then I may buy, but only if the price is a bargain for me.

The "Royal Caribbean Store" also has a shop in the Havensight Mall at the cruise ship sock in Building #1, but I don't know if the selection or or prices are the same. I have heard that prices at the ship dock shops are a bit higher than in town, but I can't attest to that.

Good Luck in your search and purchase of your digital camera. Don't forget to price the memory cards that hold the images in the camera. You might want to invest in a couple of those as well. Also, have a Good Cruise! Show us some of those Award-Winning photos you will take with that new Digital Camera when you return. We are waiting!

FrankM
Old January 2nd, 2001, 08:53 PM
Mary Lou Scanlon

Default RE: Digital Cameras???

Dear Frank:
Thank's for all the very good advice. I just haven't had the time to research digital cameras and I don't know the first thing about them....so I guess I won't be purchasing one on this trip. Wish I had one for the cruise though. Seems like the way to go these days. I have bookmarked the site you gave me and will do some research for my future purchase.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my post.