Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2001, 11:27 PM
Duane T

Default Best Camera Deals in St. Thomas

For you camera buffs, have any of you purchased camera equipment in St. Thomas recently. I am wanting to puchase a Cannon 7E. Last time I was in St. Thomas, I shopped at Boolchands (not sure of spelling) and got a fairly good deal on a lens. Any recommendations? I will also have Aruba as a port of call so could also shop there. Any feedback would be appreciated. A friend told me I could do just as well ordering mail order via New York City.
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2001, 06:34 AM
FrankM

Default Re: Best Camera Deals in St. Thomas

Duane,

You're in luck, I was asking myself the same question only a few weeks ago. I too was looking for a Canon EOS 7E on my cruise through the Caribbean. The best place to get a camera is in St. Thomas. I stopped at St. Maartin and looked at Boolchands and they weren't any better than B & H Photo (mail-orded) out of New York. However,in St Thomas, at the Havensight Mall, at the cruise ship dock, I stopped at the store called Royal Caribbean and found the Canon for $30 less than the mail order price of $479. The only difference is that in the Caribbean they sell the European version of the 7E called the Canon 30. There is no difference in the camera and you get the Canon Warrenty card to send in. Even the owner's manual is titled Canon 30 and Canon 7E interchangeably. I decided to get it and save the $30. I also got the external flash atachment 420EX for $30 less than B & H price of $209. Get this flash if you don't have one since it was made for the Canon EOS 30 / 7E. Royal Caribbean is also on the internet, but I don't know the web address.

Two years ago I stopped at St.Thomas, on another cruise, and purchased a Kodak DC260 from Royal Caribbean at their downtown location. I saved $100-200 over state-side prices so I am convinced that this is the store to save some money. The only items I found to be priced higher were lenses for the Canon. I was looking for a couple of Professional "L" lenses and they were priced higher than mail-order.

I suggest you look-up B & H Photo on the internet and print out the items you plan to purchase and take them along with you to comparison shop. Here is The B & H web site:

http://www01.bhphotovideo.com/defaul...k__Aindex_html

I also stopped at Boolchands at the Havensight Mall and the sales man was pushy and wanted to give me a total price for what I was looking for rather than individual prices for the items I wanted. I don't like sales people playing games with me. so I left immediately. Don't bother with Boolchands anywhere, except for a little ammusement. Royal Caribbean even threw-in a set of free AA batteries for the flash attachment. They are a good place to shop; no pressure. They are located in Building #1 at the Havensight Mall, Charolotte Amalia, St.Thomas USVI.

Good Luck,

Frank M
Old November 18th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Best Camera Deals in St. Thomas

We got a great deal on a digital at Royal Caribbean (at a different loco than the previous poster) on St. Thomas. He also threw in many useful extras for still less than what it costs for mailorder at the NYC place. My husband did research before he left and he was very pleased. And we agree, they were no-pressure salesmen.