Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2001, 06:19 PM
First Mate

Default Western Carribean shopping deals?

Was wondering if anyone knew of any good deals in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Looking for any good deals on jewelery, purses, etc. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2001, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Western Carribean shopping deals?

Carrie wrote:
>
> Was wondering if anyone knew of any good deals in Cozumel and
> Grand Cayman. Looking for any good deals on jewelery,
> purses, etc. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

The Western Carib itin is great for water related activities (snorkeling etc) but not exactly known as a shoppers mecca, although each vist to these islands I do notice stores full of shoppers.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
<< Join Us on a CM Group Cruise
<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/CMcruises/CM-cruises.cfm>
Old April 20th, 2001, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

on this itinerary,i have found prices to be higher...want to shop do the eatern or southern..martinique has fabulous handbags....
Old April 24th, 2001, 04:08 PM
Admiral

We looked at a lot of jewelry in Cozumel, but didn't really care for anything. I had my mind on an emerald ring. I did find one on the Triumph that I fell in love with. Soooo, my husband bought it for my birthday and anniversary gift. Beautiful.
Purses I didn't look at as I didn't need any.
We bought a lot of things in Grand Cayman. There is a shop as you get off the pier on the right.It's called "Shellections". The quality of their merchandise is great. We bought T-shirts, mugs and a beautiful ornament made from shells. I wish I had purchased more things from there. Whatever you do, DON'T buy T-shirts from Cozumel or Jamaica. They are bad news. Suppose to be preshrunk. NOT!!!! There's a beautiful linen shop in Grand Cayman, called "Kirk Freeport", that we purchased beautiful poly satin tableclothes and napkins. They also have clothes. Grand Cayman had the very nicest shops, but are more spendy. Well worth it though. Shopping is within walking distance too, which makes it nice. Only thing is, we got in early and stores didn't open until 10AM. Cory, our cruise director said that when they see the the ships come in, they hurry and open the shops. Not true. Don't waste your time. We waited 2 hours and were pretty bored siting on store steps for that amount of time.
Any questions, email me.
Old April 24th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Sorry, the linen shop was named "Far Away Places".
Old April 24th, 2001, 08:07 PM
First Mate

Thanks for all of your replies so far, they have been really helpful
Old April 25th, 2001, 12:28 PM
SuzieQ

Carrie,

I couldn't find any jewelry that screemed "you're not leaving without me" in Grand Cayman. I do agree with a previous poster about the "Kirk" stores. They had beautiful china, crystal etc. We collect the little colorful Lalique fish and Grand Cayman sells a Lalique crystal stingray that (I was told) is exclusive to the Cayman's.

I found a shop with designer hand bags, lots of Fendi in style I don't find in my area, but they weren't bargain priced.

Be sure to pick up a Tortuga Rum Cake. Ours lasted forever in the refrigerator. Most of the liquor stores have samples you can try before you buy.
Old May 30th, 2001, 04:13 AM
JENNIE

We did not do massive shopping but this is what I found:
Grand Cayman-just plain expensive for anything. Unless u are looking for a certain figure or something specific dont buy anything here. The only thing we always buy here is the Rum cakes. the Rum Cakes are cheaper on the island then on the ship by at least $2. It really does not matter where on the island u get it, from what I could tell all the places had the same specials and prices.

Cozumel-I think best places for variety of items were Los Sinco (last store on the waterfront), staff there was very nice, and Viva Mexico in the middle of the waterfront. All stores had US prices and no haggling (2 yrs ago they use to do this)

Playa Del Carmen-I think is the BEST place to get the same items that u saw in Cozumel. WHY? It is in pesos and u can haggle-which I was ready to do. There is a cheap place across from Senor frogs to check email. It was 20 pesos for 20mins which is like $3USD. The lady in there speaks English and is very helpful.

All the islands take credit cards and US $$ no problem. The real shopping is on the Eastern Caribbean where u hit St Thomas and St Maarten.

HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME!
Old May 30th, 2001, 11:37 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the detailed info Jennie!
Old January 23rd, 2002, 06:20 PM
Nanette

Default How about ROLEX deals?

How about Rolex Watches?

My husband still regrets not buying one in Aruba years ago...wonderful prices.

Any such luck in the Western Carribean?

Thanks
Old July 18th, 2002, 01:50 AM
Passenger

Default Re: How about ROLEX deals?

Be very careful about Rolex deals. I have a friend in the pawn business that has seen too many surprised people find out they bought a beautiful Rolex case and nothing more. All of the internal workings were not authentic. If you buy, ask them to take the back off and look inside. Some of the parts are marked with the logo.