Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2002, 01:05 PM
Beginner

Default Best place to buy liquor

Does anyone have any information as to the best place to purchase liquor? I will be visiting St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Re: Best place to buy liquor

I find the best prices in A.H Riise (sp?). They have a location in the mall at the port in St.. Thomas and if you want, they will deliver it to the ship, but you must purchase it 3 hrs prior to sailing. I have made this my first stop in St. Thomas the 4 times I have been and have never had a problem with it being delivered or receiving the wrong bottles.

Jodi

Old June 13th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Best place to buy liquor

I find the best place is the liquor store around the corner from my house. This way I spend none of my vacation time shopping for something I can buy locally. I have no worries about getting something delivered to my room and do not have to shlep liquor bottles around on taxis, planes, through airports and such. Personal choice, the savings is not worth the time and effort on my vacation time.
Old August 27th, 2002, 09:07 AM
cruzingal

Liquor is usually cheaper on St.Martin. If was last Nov., I had the brochure from the ship from A.H. Riser and the store on St. Martin was cheaper.
Old October 28th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Brij Agarwal

I can't speak to St. Maarten, but the place in St. Thomas is NOT the A.H. Riise stores. The prices are slightly cheaper at a store right at the wharf where your ship comes in, but I can't remember the name of it. A.H. Riise also has a store at the wharf, but this isn't what I'm talking about. At the wharf you'll find small pedestrian-type streets extending away from the water in a shopping area (you'll know it when you see it) and the store I'm thinking of is pretty close to the water-side of one of those streets (i.e., not at the far end of the street). The name might be Century or Paradise (?) or some other word-type name, not a "person's" name.

Prices on vodka and liquers are excellent. Prices on single malt Scotches are not very good. The fabulous prices are on rum and Kahlua.
Old January 24th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Dell

Best place is without a doubt at 105? Front St. at St. Maartan/Dutch side.

I paid $3.95 for a litre of Stolich Vodka, $4.95 for a litre of Absolute.

Single Barrel Jack Daniels was $12.95 if I remember correctly. Very hard to find in U.S.

Also, 1 litre of Disaronno Originale Amaretto was a stunning $8.95

I have never found better prices, including the overpriced duty free shops.

This place is a hole in the wall, but well worth waiting for. Prices are twice this much on St. Thomas.
Old February 1st, 2003, 12:35 PM
cruzingal

Default Re: Re: Best place to buy liquor

Hey Dell, do you remember the name of the store in St. Martin. I have heard that the futher you get from the pier the cheaper it is.
Old June 5th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Tim T

Default Re: Re: Re: Best place to buy liquor

I agree with Dell that St. Maarten is incredibly cheap for liquor. I was there in January and brought home a litre of Courvoisier VSOP Cognac for my dad at $18.95. It is at least $40-50 at home. Prices are so cheap that you can go kind of crazy.

I don't remember names, but it only takes about 1/2 an hr. to walk along Front Street to the end of the shopping area and then wend your way back, checking out prices. Beer in convenience stores our from "ice cream carts" is as little as 50 cents a can, and you can enjoy it while walking along. It is correct that prices drop further along the street, but I don't think any of the prices end up being radically different. Back Street, one street over, is where the Islanders shop, and there are good prices there too, but on things like shoes and clothes, not so much expensive jewelry or other consumer goods. Many jewelry stores sell liquor too! While looking at jewelry in one store, Ray's, we were plied with champagne and Heineken's, not to befuddle us, but being hospitable. We were not on a cruise ship that vacation, and the staff said because there were none in town they would just cut the **ll**it and gave us their rock-bottom prices on their goods, without haggling. This was very refreshing, and their prices did seem to reflect the kind of prices you could get by dickering..

Do save all your shopping $$ for St. Maarten, you won't regret it.

Tim T
Old July 23rd, 2003, 02:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

How much can you bring back that is still duty free, and what does the duty do to the price. I live in Ma if this has any bearing on it.
Old August 2nd, 2003, 05:15 PM
Kathy & Dave

Last time I bought booze on an island it wasn't delivered to the ship! It took 3 months to get a refund (which was converted from Cayman $, so we lost a little in the conversion). What bothered me most was that it was all for gifts! Try to find something on the last day of the cruise in the shops on the ship so I wouldn't come home empty handed! Now I only buy ON the ship. That way, I know it's coming home with me or I will be credited immediately. The prices weren't bad ($10 for Kahlua, $24 locally) Absolut was approximately the same price.