Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2002, 08:39 PM
marnie

Default water shoes

I've heard of these shoes called "water shoes". I'm not sure exactly what they are, but I believe they can be used for walking as well as swimming. I was also wondering if they make good non-slip shoes to wear on small boats. I'm going on a cruise, then I'm going on a sailing trip. I thought these would be very practical for both vacations. Anyone familiar with them?
Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Default Re: water shoes

Water shoes are nylon topped (stretchy) shoes with rubber bottoms. They are light, fast drying and protect your feet from coral, shells or rocks in the water. They are also great for walking on the beach. Cheap versions can usually be purchased in spring and summer at Wal mart type stores for $5 to $10. Same goes for Teva type sandals. Cheap versions can be purchased same places as the water shoes, better sandals (tevas) at shoe departments in major department stores and major sports chains.
The sandals are good for summer time hiking as well as around the water.
I recently purchased an upscale water shoe from Lands End and wore them everywhere in the water and on the ship on a Windjammer cruise. They were perfect (for me).
Old December 27th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: water shoes

Hi Marnie,
Also keep in mind an older pair of tennis shoes will work great in the water, like climbing Dunns River Falls, thats what I used and they were great. I'm sure if you find the water shoes they too will get some use out of, enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 28th, 2002, 12:14 PM
marnie

Teva's are the one's I found on the internet. The pair I found are called Teva Neutron Advanced Watersocks. They cost 39.99. The description says "non-marking Spider Rubber outsole for grip on both wet and dry surfaces". So it sounds like they would work nicely for the sailboat too. I think I'll try them.

For Dunn's River Falls, I too used an old pair of sneakers. But my feet got very sore walking around after the climb because the shoes were still wet so I'm looking for something that will dry quicker.
Old December 30th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Admiral

The GOOD (not imitation) Teva sandals are a good deal as are a GOOD (not the $5 per pair ones from Wal Mart ) water shoes. On our last cruise I left home the tennis shoes and wore the water shoes from Land's End any time we went near the pool, a beach or a boat for snorkelling. They dried quickly and were very comfortable. On our windjammer cruise in May I basically wore nothing else for 6 days (on my feet that is).
Old December 31st, 2002, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Marnie - i would personally go for the water sandals, i have a pair of the Teva's and i love them, you can adjust the velcro and they dry really fast. "Watersocks" sound like something that divers might wear. I really love the sandals because they give your foot some support so you can walk around in them, the water shoes do not.
Old January 4th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Sea

I always bring water sgoes to wear on catamaran shore excursions and in the water when I am unfamiliar with what I may be walking on. They are very hot and do not provide support, so I don't wear them walking. I buy mine at Wal-mart. They tend to develop a funky moldy odor quickly so I throw mine away after the cruise. They cost less than $10.00. You can wash them or buy a "designer" pair.
Old January 9th, 2003, 03:18 PM
MARK101

"I recently purchased an upscale water shoe from Lands End and wore them everywhere in the water and on the ship on a Windjammer cruise. They were perfect (for me)."

Papa Bill,
Would these be the Splash Shoes that Lands'end sells ?
Mark

Post Edited (01-09-03 14:27)
Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:32 PM
Jamiegunter

We bought water shoes from the Speedo store. Mine rubbed awful blisters on my arches of my feet, it was awful. We went on a cave tubbing exscursion, lot of walking and in the water. I had to walk around with bandaids for the rest of the cruise. Make sure they are comfortable before you go on your trip!! My shoes looked like sporty tennis water shoes.
Old August 8th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Admiral

I just bought a pair of water shoes at Canadian Tire for $8.99 The day before, my husband paid $35. for a pair at a fancy sport-shoe shop. Pays to shop around!

donna

Old October 25th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Passenger

Do they sell these type's of shoe's on the ship?
Old October 25th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Gilligan,
Yes, they do sell water shoes onboard.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 26th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to LGalla9464 Send a message via MSN to LGalla9464

Honestly, I prefer TEVAs. I cannot get the support I need with Aqua shoes. I wear them all the time. A great resource for discounted stock is Sierra Trading Post online. These are not seconds, but styles from last year or the previous (In the Bargain Barn). Shipping is quick and I am always on the lookout for good deals.
Laura

Old December 1st, 2003, 08:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Water shoea are great..we keep them on our sail boat. They dry fast..I wear other sandles and put them on went I want to walk in the water ..never know wha is under the sand. Mine are ll bean and have had them for several years..they have faded a bit and don't match all my swimsuits but hey who cares...