Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Default Diamond ring in Aruba

I am going to Aruba for my 25th anniversary and would like to buy my wife a diamond solitare. Any ideas whether I should buty it in the States or wait until I get to Aruba? If Aruba, where?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Diamond ring in Aruba

Reliable places in Aruba include Bulchands(may not be spelling it right), Diamonds International, Little Switzerland and Columbian Emeralds. Do be sure to shop in the US first and know exactly what the piece you are looking for costs stateside. Make sure you are comparing similar pieces . Carat size, cut, color and clarity will all factor into price.
Remember in Aruba, with little exception the marked price is not the final price. That is why it is VERY IMPORTANT to know the U.S. cost of whatever you are shopping for.
If you go on website dutyfree.com (the website for Columbian Emeralds ) you might be able to do some comparison shopping in advance.
Old February 15th, 2003, 02:18 PM
v.

we bought a diamond ring in Aruba at Gemani Jewelers (sp?) and when we came back to the States we had it appraised. It was appraised double than what we paid for it.
Old February 25th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Admiral

My favorite store in Aruba is Kay's. Kenny has always taken good care of me. They also have a store in St. Martin. Do your homework before you sail.
Bon voyage
Old March 4th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Bob D

Default Re: Re: Diamond ring in Aruba

Couldn't agree with nanatravel more. We have been buying jewelry in the caribbean for 6 years. Our personal favorite is also Kays jewelry, in both Aruba and St martin. You will never beat them for quality and price. They are also a ship recommended store, at least with princess.
I would stay as far away from Diamonds International as possible. We had a horrible experience with the store in Barbados last Jan. In a nut shell, they flat out lied to us and ruined 2 of our days of the cruise. I guess i'm the real idiot for trusting the high pressure salesman.
Remember what they say, If you're happy, you will tell a few people. If you're unhappy you tell EVERYBODY. If you have anymore questions you can e mail me.

The Cruise King AKA Bob
Old March 20th, 2003, 12:45 AM
marjmy

Default Re: Re: Re: Diamond ring in Aruba

Ditto, re Kay's Fine Jewelry, we have shopped in both shops Aruba and St. Marten, the address in Aruba in 27 havenstraat, shop # 2. We dealt with Isaac, and Sonia in St Marten. All of our purchases were very well appraised when we returned home.
Marjorie
Old March 20th, 2003, 12:06 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Diamond ring in Aruba

My husband bought me a beautiful diamond ring at Diamonds International last year,,,,,,,,,,,,,its gorgeous. And it was appraised for 2 times what we paid for it. It is the most sparkling ring and I get tons of compliments on it. Everyday I am reminded of our great cruise when Ilook at my ring. Plus they have an office in NY, so at least if there is a problem they are located in the US.

I will be shopping at Diamonds International again this fall! But this time in St. Thomas.

I guess everyone has thier own experiences.............
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:47 PM
cindy kramski

last year for our 25th my husband and i were in aruba,he surprised me with dimonds.did some reserch before we left on jewelry in aruba..found sean pauls on a bulliten board and was very happy when we walked out.everything we purchased apraised two times.earings,necklace and three stone ring. have fun arubas the greatest
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:32 AM
L&S80

Try Touch of Gold in Aruba.......great place & they treat you well.......didn't buy diamonds but did buy garnets & we got a great deal on them. Like the others said......know the prices of what you are looking for before you go.......

Sharon

Old February 11th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Also, check the prices on board the ship. I've gotten some great jewelry deals on board.

The biggest tip I can give you is know before you go. Many times I've found there are no deals, that I could buy the same thing in the states for less. Check your local stores to get an idea of what you want. A good jeweler will give you a quick lesson on color, cut, clarity, and size.

Good luck!

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03