Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old August 29th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 74
Send a message via AIM to Rachel
Default I want to buy a Movado......

I am leaving January 11th on the Carnival Inspiration. I am cruising to the Western Caribbean. We are going to The Cayman Islands, Costa Maya, Mexico, Cozumel, Mexico and Belize. I want to buy a Movado watch and I know exactly what I want. It will be a gift for my boyfriend. I wanted to buy it there because I've heard there are really good prices in the Caribbean. Does anyone have any suggestions of which island is the best to buy it from. Is there any way to find out reputable places to buy an authentic Movado. Does the cruise line provide you with any info about shop when you get on the ship?

Thanks for your help!
Rachel
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old August 30th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 605
Default Re: I want to buy a Movado......

Yes the cruise lines will provide you with shopping information. There is usually a person (I call them the QVC person) who can answer that for you.

I'm not sure on the Western itinerary, but I do know that St. Thomas is unbelievable for jewelry. I've never seen more jewerly in my life and I used to work near the diamond district in NYC.

I've been to Mexico though and they are known for their silver, not big on watches, but Grand Cayman would be your best best for duty free shopping.

Check you prices here in the states first though, and do some comparison shopping.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old August 31st, 2003, 10:28 AM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 74
Send a message via AIM to Rachel
Default Re: Re: I want to buy a Movado......

Thanks for your help. I have priced them out here before, so I know what will be a better price then here. My biggest concern is if it is authentic. Thanks for your help. He loves Movados and I figured this would be the best chance for me to get him one.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 23rd, 2004, 01:21 AM
Geno
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: I want to buy a Movado......



Buy your jewelry in St. Thomas rather than Grand Caymen, as the American dollar is only worth 80 cents in Grand Caymen, and thus, everything has a 20 per cent mark up compared to St. Thomas. Grand Caymen has it's own monetary system. Everything there is more expensive because ot this, and they also tack on a 15 per cent gratuity on all restaurant tabs there too, giving you a total markup of 35 per cent. We stay on ship whenever we hit Grand Caymen on a cruise!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
belize, buy, buying, cayman, costa, forums, grand, islands, markup, maya, mexico, movado, normal, shopping, watch, watches

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
diamonds and watches - to buy or not to buy? and where? TammieF Shopping! 5 February 14th, 2013 02:13 AM
Movado Watches lks1165 Royal Caribbean International 5 November 6th, 2007 05:22 PM
best deals - finding a movado in the caribbean gabrielle Celebrity 5 November 15th, 2001 10:08 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:36 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1