Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Mary Ann

Default Playa Del Carmen or Cozemel

Which of these has the best, safest shopping areas? We plan to shop at one and snorkel at the other.
Holiday, July 17, 2004
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2004, 11:13 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Playa Del Carmen or Cozemel

Hi, Mary Ann. They are both very safe. Coz is more commercial and has more than half a dozen of each shop - a Diamonds International on every block. Playa del Carmen is smaller with good mix of independent craft shops and things like with less of the mainstrean chains in Coz. Depends on what you are shopping for I guess.

I will spend my next visit to Coz on an excursion of some sort because I like the fact that Playa is more laid back. You can shop, dine or enjoy the beach all within blocks of where you tender in. Actually, some ships tender in, others dock at a pier south of town.

Glenn
Jacksonville, FL

Old July 9th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Playa Del Carmen or Cozemel

Snorkeling would definitely be better in Cozumel. They have I think the 2nd most popular reefs in the world! You can book through the ship or book on your own. Cozumel is a very safe island. Check out www.cozumelinsider.com or www.travelnotes.cc for information on Cozumel.

Playa del Carmen in growing so fast. From the Holiday, you will actually dock at the Calica docks, which is about 8 miles south of Carmen del Playa. At the dock, there is nothing but granite rocks around, look around to see if you can find fred flintstone working! . There will be buses for the excursions, taxi's to take to whereever you want to go and also 2 rental agencies to rent a car from. Also, there will be about 10 tents with local vendors in to buy stuff from. We were on the Holiday in April, and we just took a taxi to Playa del Carmen, did some shopping, and stayed on the beach for the day. You can rent chairs for about $8 to $15 for 2 chairs and umbrella. The waiters from the hotels will come over to wait on you. Bucket of 4-5 bears is like $8-$10.

Have a great cruise!

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!