CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Shopping! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/)
-   -   Drugstores in Cozumel and Belize (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shopping/297716-drugstores-cozumel-belize.html)

Pastcruiser October 29th, 2003 04:13 PM

Drugstores in Cozumel and Belize

On my last cruise we stopped in Cozumel and Belize. I noticed some shops (pharmacies?) were advertising "prescription drugs without prescriptions". I did not stop in to see what it was all about. Has anyone had any experiences with these "pharmacies". Can you really get any and all types of prescription drugs without prescriptions? Such as, pain killers, anti-depressants, high blood pressure meds, Viagara, etc. There must be a catch? I take high blood pressure and diabetes meds and if I can get them cheaper there it would be worth the cruise. Thanks

sls October 29th, 2003 06:27 PM

Re: Drugstores in Cozumel and Belize

My Mom winters in Texas and she used to get penicillian o-t-c in Mexico for my nephews ear infections. Not sure about anything else.

sls

kittyg November 7th, 2003 11:46 AM

there are several stores with prescription drugs i cozumel and a very small one in Belize in the shopping circle right as you get off the tender and the pharmacist is from Texas--she will help you with any info and questions that you have.

bill&marti November 12th, 2003 10:28 AM

As I understand it, only select drugs, i.e. narcotics, require a prescription. Nearly everything else can be purchased without a prescription. Most of the "pharmacies" I saw in Cozumel had a very limited selection of meds available, ******, antihypertensives, hypoglycemics, etc. The prices were substantially lower than prescription prices in the US. Mexico doesn't have the strictest controls over drug manufacturing and importation so buyer beware!

Bobbi November 13th, 2003 02:48 AM

Re: Re: Drugstores in Cozumel and Belize

I'm a little confused, never purchased med's anywhere else but home. So 'splain this process to me Please? :-)
I read that if you do purchase drugs in Mexico or wherever, that require an RX here in Texas, that you could be fined and/or jailed if you have these said drugs on your person, without an RX that matches the "said" drugs. ( ie: you can buy them, just not have then in your possession without RX!)
So what's the scoop? How do you do this?
I have RX's from my doc here, if I buy the meds in Mexico, then return here with my copy of my RX...from my doc here, am I safe? LOL
None are narcatics, or against the law! :-) Thanks for any info, heard a lot about this but totally confused on how it all works. On medicare, lots of meds for MS and looking for anyway to help my budget! Thanks again!

Trip November 14th, 2003 07:03 PM

We have purchased types of penicillan in Cozumel..No problems..Lots of other meds you can get at good prices for large amounts..Trip/Monday Chat Host

carol December 6th, 2003 06:28 PM

Be very careful buying meds. in foreign countries. A friend of mine bought what she thought was birth control pills (turned out to be conterfeit sugar pills) and you guessed it, baby arrived 9 months later. Purchased in Santo Domingo!

Nanatravel December 15th, 2003 02:09 PM

The tiny store in Belize has the names of Prescription Drugs available Written on the wall. Examples: Allegra 180 mg. were about $66 per 90 tables- I pay $90 for mail in script, ****** was $6 per pill, 100 -Motrin 800 mgs. were $22, Hydrocortesone Cream was $3. Can't remember other names as I was not in the market for anything else. They take cash only, too.

brooke3l November 4th, 2009 04:31 PM

Where is the best place in Cozumel to purchase medication?
I am looking at *********** and 800 mg Motrin.
What are the costs? I have a prescription for both in the US looking to save some $$

Phil&Liz November 4th, 2009 04:38 PM

Just be aware of the other names of the drugs you may want.

Be sure to check the expiration date before you pay.

Be sure the tamper seal is in place, too.

Phil & Liz

markboucher November 22nd, 2009 11:54 PM

I am going for a cruise now. I think our cruise might stop at Cozumel and Belize. So I will definitely visit to these shops. I hope these shops don't want prescription from me.