Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2004, 06:59 AM
First Mate

Default Other Gem Stones

There has been some discussion and some great advice about where to look for loose diamonds on St. Thomas and the other islands. Do these places also have other loose gem stones like garnets or sapphires? We are looking to purchase a pink stone or stones to have made into a ring and possibly earrings.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

April 16th can't get here soon enough !

Thanks in advance,

Sid1962
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Other Gem Stones

Virtually all of the jewelry stores in the major shopping ports sell loose stones.
Do some research on prices at home so you will have a point of reference and enter into the transaction with your eyes open.
For inexpensive gem stones, very often the ship itself will have sales on loose stones.
Old February 4th, 2004, 12:54 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Other Gem Stones

PapaBill,

Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case, but just wanted to be sure.

I have already started my homework on prices, both at a local jeweler and the Internet. The problem with the internet is that you can't really see the stone, and I think only diamonds are graded so as to give you an idea of wht you would be getting.

At any rate, thanks again.

Sid1962
Old February 4th, 2004, 05:43 PM
L&S80

Sid

All stones are graded.....just keep doing your homework.........what other stops are you making??? We got great deals on garnets in Aruba.

Sharon

Old February 5th, 2004, 06:21 AM
First Mate

Sharon,

Thanks for the tip on t he grading...

We will be stopping at St. Thomas, St. Martin, Barbados, St Lucia and St. Kitts. It's the Summit 10 day cruise out of Fort Lauderdale....can't wait....

Sid1962
Old February 5th, 2004, 03:19 PM
nypisces

Default Re: Re: Re: Other Gem Stones

Sid - Not an expert on purchasing loose stones, but wanted to wish you a terrific cruise aboard Summit. Just returned from the 1/23 trip, same itinerary...fabulous vacation! Let me know ify ou have any specific questions - would be happy to answer what I can.
Bon voyage!
Old February 5th, 2004, 04:45 PM
First Mate

nypices...thanks for the offer.

Talk about coincidence, or a small world, my wife is a Pisces, and we're both originally from upstate New York about 35 miles west of Albany on the Mohawk River! Now if that has nothing to do with your ID, consider me embarrased !

At any rate, taking advantage of your offer, what did you do in St. Lucia and St. Kitts?

Thanks again,

Sid1962
Old February 6th, 2004, 10:03 AM
nypisces

Sid - Don't be embarassed - I am indeed a Pisces and actually graduated SUNY Albany (but live near NYC). How weird is that?!?!

Anyway, to answer your questions, as we had been to both St. Lucia and St. Kitts several times before, we actually didn't do much in either port; in fact, did not even get off the ship in St. Kitts. That said, they are both gorgeous islands, and I know there are some nice tours available. In St. Lucia you can go to the 'drive-in' volcano (be warned, it smells REALLY bad!), rainforest, etc. Some of our tablemates did a catamaran excursion there and liked it very much. I think there's also a Sandals resort that offers day passes (for a fee) to interested couples, if you just want to relax on a beach and chill. The ship docks right near a small shopping area, and you can take a water taxi over to where there is a local market, with folks selling spices, fruits, produce, etc. Noticed lots of cabs right at the dock, with drivers offering tours of the island, rides to the beaches, etc., so if you want to do something on your own there, you shouldn't have any problem.

As for St. Kitts, you can visit the fort there, Brimstone Hill I believe it's called; there's also a lovely botanical gardens, batik factory and some really nice beaches - depends what you're into. You can take a short walk into the town, which is quite small, with limited shopping - although there is a nice store that sells men's and women's clothing - batik prints (this is big on this island!), dresses, shirts, pareos, etc.

Sorry I'm not much help on the ports, but as I mentioned, we'd been to these (and the other stops) several times in the past. It is a lovely itinerary, combining great shopping (in St. Thomas and St. Martin) with some really picturesque ports.

Let me know if you have any other questions - have a wonderful trip!