Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:51 AM
terry kopple

Default best buys!!!

hey fellow cm's!
i'll be going to martinique,st.maarten and barbados this sun. i haven't seen any postings on these ports on saavy shopping. does anybody out there have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: best buys!!!

it truly depends on what you're shopping for. St Mart is the best shopping port of the 3 you've listed. BUT... know the price at home!!!! The Caribb isn't the shopping mecca it once was.. partly because of so many ships visiting, and partly because of good pricing often found on the Internet.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:55 PM
terry kopple

Default Re: Re: best buys!!!

thanks so much kuki! i'm new here and have become a junkie!! cm junkie that is! i can't believe all the great tidbits i'm getting from all these great people! cruisers are really the best...thanks again!
Old March 25th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Kuki has it right, St Martin is the shopping port out of the three. I suggest that if you are intending to buy jewelry, cameras, electronics, etc that you do research in advance on exactly what you want , so, you will know whether or not you are getting a bargain.
In Barbados the best shopping in my opinion is actually right at the pier itself.
There is a nice airconditioned "mall" that you must walk through to leave the dock area and many of the "typical" caribbean shops are represented. Just outside that area is an outdoor cluster of local souvenir vendors. Bridgetown itself is a bit less "touristy" than many other ports and shopping always reminds me of the downtown areas of the local small cities in the US.
In Martinique there is a nice shopping area in the downtown . Kind of looks a bit like streets in New Orleans to me. I don't remember this being "bargain" shopping however. On nice days there is also a cluster of outdoor souvenir stands.
Have a great time .
Old March 25th, 2004, 12:12 PM
terry kopple

thanks soooo much papabill and kuki! what terrific advice. i know we will have a great time!