Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:05 PM
First Mate

Default how much alcohol

I've read several posts - and am still confused. How much liquor ARE we allowed to bring back to the states (per person)?? I know I've read that you can just pack it in your suitcase - but what about getting your luggage checked? If I want to do it the "legal" way - just how much can I bring home?

Thanks....

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:43 PM
clo

Default Re: how much alcohol

Generally the limit is one liter per person - duty free. In checking the U.S. customs website, there's no absolute limit as to how much you can bring back but, above one liter, you would have to declare it and pay duty on it. That one liter is, I believe, for "hard" liquor. I think beer and wine have different limits. A lot of the postings I've been seeing are about bringing your own liquor onboard the cruise ships and how alot of lines are no longer allowing that. That's a cruise line rule not a "law."
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:25 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: how much alcohol

Thank you.... We're not going to bring alcohol on board for consumption. We really would just like to bring back maybe some Kahlua and Tequila... Not a lot - but maybe a couple bottles each if we can. So basically, it may mean that we have to pay the "duty" on the extra that we bring? I guess I'll need to find out what the "duty" consists of, to decide if it's worth it or not.

And if we can't bring it - Oh well - it'll still be a GREAT cruise. The liquor is not the reason for the cruise.... the Good Times ARE !!!

Old May 10th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Mark&Deb

It depends on where you are traveling to, where you purchase & where the liquor was bottled. Your shopping expert on the ships will be able to tell you. When we went St.Maartn/St.Thomas/PR - we were able to bring 5 liters each back with us.

Mark&Deb
Old May 14th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just looked this up for some else on the boards, the us customs site says 4% duty on the excess. If you are buying rum then some places there is no additional duty on it. San Juan, and St Thomas are two, and there may be others.

Also remember that each person in your family is allowed one bottle, whether this counts if your kids are 5 and 6, I don't know.

That being said, I have never been asked to pay duty on the extra liquor I have brought back.

Chuck

Old May 21st, 2004, 02:54 PM
Passenger

the alcohol per person limit excludes minors (you can't use them to bring in more than your exempt limit), however...

prior to our carribean cruise a couple of years ago we purchased a home bar, I brought along a foot locker and bubble wrap for the expressed purpose of stocking this bar. Considering that you only pay a 4% duty on the excess amount it makes no sense to concern yourself. As an example: bottles of Godiva, Chambord and other premium lable liquors were as much as 15-20$ less per bottle (if you buy a case-even of mixed items-you will generaly get a greater price reduction) given that on one bottle this at most you would incur a maximum 80 cent duty- DO THE MATH!

Don't try to sidestep paying your duty-when I did the immigration thing on the last morning I claimed a tanzanite bracelet, digital camera & men's diamond watch along with all of our liquor purchases. I had tallied the duties at less than $10.00, but the immigration guys upon inspection of the non liquor items and their corresponding receipts waved the charges-they joked that if I managed to haggle that well I deserved a little bonus.

My attitude is why stress out over having something unclaimed in your possession, the bargians along with the tax savings more than balance out the duty fees. I just don't want to lose sleep over something like this.