Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:14 PM
LauriA

Default Another jewelry question....

I am going on my first cruise in a few weeks. We will be visiting St. Martin and St. Thomas--so I have to hit the jewelry stores! I was wondering if you are able to trade in a ring (not from that particular jeweler) that can be applied to the purchase of another ring? I was hoping to upgrade my bridal set. Also any recommendations for reputable jewelers would also be appreciated. I have already read about Diamonds International and Cardows. Any others? Thanks

Lauri
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Another jewelry question....

You mention two very popular and reliable vendors. Two more might be Columbian Emeralds and Little Switzerland.
Before you trade your Bridal set in, know how much it is worth in the US as well as having a good idea as to what the size and quality of diamond you want to purchase would cost you back home.
What I am saying is do homework before you go down there. Remember, when you are home, you can always walk out of a store and go back the next day if you change your mind or need to sleep on a decision. Buying on a cruise puts a different pressure on you to get the deal done.
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:10 PM
LauriA

Default Thanks for the response....

I appreciate the recommendations and the advice. My cruise is in 2 weeks. I have not shopped around yet to see what the going rate on what I want. I will definitely go and look around a little before shopping during the cruise. Thanks again!

Lauri
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Royal Caribbean is another very good jewlery store. Have a good price knowledge before you cruise, attend the port shopping lectures - very informative, ask the cruise shopping expert about upgrading your diamonds, they would know which store does it and which one gives you the most value for your money.
Old June 19th, 2004, 08:00 PM
aileenfinkel

usually when you trade in, they want you you buy 2 x more fo what the trade is worth. sometimes it isnt worth it at all. be careful.
Old June 26th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, I'd also be careful with doing a trade like that, may-be when you check here at home, see what you can find here. I'd rather do something like that here, if there are problems, then you can go back, not the case when purchasing down there. In the past I've also found some good sales on jewelery here, seems the great deals in the past are few and hard to find in the Caribbean.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:40 AM
McCall

The two times value is correct. If you want to upgrade you must buy twice what they say yours is worth. The best value you can get for yours is to have bought it from them in the first place and have the reciept in which case they will give you what you paid. Now this may be good but does not take into account increase in value over time.

I was thinking of doing it on my last trip, we had NOT bought the ring there and I was very surprised when they offered us twice what we HAD paid for my ring, decided it they were offering that much we'd best keep it,
I ended up buying bracelet, necklace and earrings all in Natural Alexandrites to match the side stones on my engagement ring, Alexandrites are my birthstone.
It is weird walking around with the price of a small car on my neck, finger and wrist

Buy the way anyone looking for good Alexandrites try Kay's in St. Martin and Sauder in St. Thomas.