Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:15 PM
Passenger

Default Cozumel and Playa del Carmen best things to buy?

Hi-
What are the best things to buy in these ports? We are going in November to Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. Jewelry, alcohol, souveniers?

Old June 1st, 2004, 02:44 AM
bravemom

Default Re: Cozumel and Playa del Carmen best things to buy?

I got a nice 2 pc. outfit that I used onboard and is now a summer favorite.
Old June 1st, 2004, 09:43 AM
Yeoman

I found good deals in Silver in Cozumel. The last shop on the right past the open air restaurant. (can't remember the name.) Sterling was going for around 45-80 cents a gram. Stateside its around 1.50 -2.70 per. Got a nice big mens link bracelet (47 gr.) for $22.00. Can't go swimming with it on...it pulls me under...;-) JK.
You'll save on just about every thing. We even bought some lace tablecloths from a man in the street (working out of his car trunk).. LOW overhead. They were $15.00 ea. to start but after we walked away a few times he blessed us with 3 for $11.00. Still useing them now even after 4 years. Have a good trip and happy shopping.
SSaFWs..ED
Old June 1st, 2004, 01:47 PM
jamiegunter

In Cozumel you want to by Pure Vanilla. I got a liter bottle of it for like $8, I found it in the big shop right off were ship docks with the liquor. Sterling silver and pearls are cheap in Cozumel. Tequilla of course also
Havent been to Playa Del Carmen, so dont know.
Old June 4th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Admiral

i agree , pure vanillia from Mexico is the best. You use less in cooking, the flavor is very intense.
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Duke-r

HI
GOLD 1O KT ( TO CHEAP LOOKING....YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN)
14 KT YOU WILL NEED TO DO SOME WALK -A-WAYS BUT THEY HAVE SOME NICE PIECES FOR THE LADIES!!!
18 -24 KT YOU NEED TO KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT TO PAY OUT
I WENT TO PLAYA DEL CARMEN FOUND ( AFTER 4 WALK- A- WAYS) A 22INCH MEN (THICK TOO!!) NECKLACE FOR 20.00 DOLLARS STAMPED .925 STERLING (57GR).

WHEN I GOT BACK TO THE STATES I TOOK IT TO A JEWELER IN MY HOME TOWN AND HE APPARISED IT AT 110.OO BUCKS

GOT A CASE 16OZ PURE VANILLA TOO ( FOR GIFTS) IT TOOK ME A LITTLE OVER AN HOUR FOR THAT DEAL 3.75 A BOTTLE

BUY YOUR LIQUOR IN COZUMEL ( IT'S CHEAP EVERYWHERE) LEATHER GOODS, CHESS SETS GOOD DEALS.

HAPPY SHOPPING MY FRIENDS
DUKE
PS. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY
Old June 24th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Merri

If you buy the chess sets in Cozumel, wrap them ever so carefully. Don' t just rely on your clothes in your suitcase to preserve them. I bought a coaster set out of the same materials as the chess sets....the holder broke. Wish I'd been prepared with bubble wrap.

Cozumel does have some cool clothing stores. There is also a place (can't recall the name but it is in the vicinity of the town square) that has awesome home decor items and furniture.

Definitely the vanilla is cheap, as is tequila.
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Passenger

Tequila, kahlua and those mexican woven blankets. They are so warm in the winter time!