Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:28 PM
First Mate

Default Local artwork

We will be traveling on Southern Caribbean rout: St. Thomas, Dominica,Barbados and Aruba-- I would love to come home with some bright, tropical themed typed paintings to remember my trip by. Anyone come across any local artwork for sale at "normal" prices.. In the ideal world it would be a nice acrylic type on stretched canvas say under $100-- a real bargain if under $50.

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Local artwork

We don't normally look for acrylics, but do look for charcoals, pen and inks and even local color prints.
In Barbados, inside the terminal, on the left just after you walk in from the ship, there is a large souvenir shop that looks very commercial (and it is). However, tucked in a corner here and there you will find various local artists stuff. We bought a couple of great signed prints a while back and they were very reasonable in price.
In St Thomas, downtown , next to AH Reise there is an alleyway. About a quarter way down the alley there is a stand where they sell local prints, maps and postcards (not the made in China stuff). Again we have picked up a few pen and ink and charcoal type things there.
Your taste and ours may be completely differnt, but that is where we have had some success.
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:53 AM
First Mate

Thanks, I am open to any type of artwork that will remind me of the Caribbean Feeling, --especially during winter in Indiana. I will definitely look at those locations. Nothing in Dominica? I heard their prices were low, and Barbados more touristy priced.

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old November 7th, 2004, 10:56 AM
First Mate

Picking up on what PapaBill has said, somewhere down that alley in St. Thomas or maybe it's another one, is a kiosk which sells paintings/prints by an artist called E.B. White (not sure of the initials). Definately Caribbean......we also found a gallery on the opposite side of that street, down a small alley (there is a chocolate store down there) and up 3 flights of stairs...again, lovely Caribbean stuff.....funny that PapaBill metioned the mall in Barbados...again, at a kiosk, we purchased a couple of small prints, and a book mark...all signed....there is also a kiosk just outside the mall, but the stuff to us was not as good as what was inside.....on our Summit sailing this past April, we tried to pick up a print from every island we visited, and with the eception of St Maartin, we did.....picked up a couple of baubles for the Mrs. there instead.....

Post Edited (11-07-04 12:02)