Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2004, 07:08 AM
Beginner

Default What to buy in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen

Hi,

We are on a carnival cruise to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. I love to pick up souveners from our travels. The last few years our vacations have been to Walt Disney World so I am really looking forward to picking up souveneers withour Mickey Mouse on them!!!

On our first cruise my dh bought me a beautiful Cameo in Nassua. Whenever I see it I always remember that cruise and Nassua.

I already have a few ideas for Cozumel and Playa, I am planning on getting a good Hammock for our backyard, an onyx chess set an of course vanillia. But I am thinking of something special like the cameo from Nassua. Maybe a nice piece of silver jewlery. Can anyone tell me about unique pieces they have bought and what kind of price range I should expect.

I also hope I can pick up some nice inexpensive silver bangles for my daughter and her friends. Any tips on where to find these and price.

Is there anything else I should be on the look out for in Mexico. I really love unique handmade pieces.

Thank you for all your assistance.

Allison

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2004, 08:41 PM
seawench

Default Re: What to buy in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen

You have to bargain, bargain, bargain in Cozumel.

In the shopping area at Puerto Maya, my sister was looking at silver bracelets. Nothing in the store had a price on it ... youhave to ask.
She was told $130.
By the time we were walking out the door, the price had gone down to $35.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 02:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to JULIEB
Default Re: Re: What to buy in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen

We just got back from our 1st cruise about a month ago. We were told that the cheapest places to shop in Cozumel was the front street where we were let off at by our cab. We found a little hole in the wall shop where everything was .99. I bought several shot glasses there that we found elsewhere $2.00 & up. If you find something you like & cannot get the price right keep looking because you will find it again & some will bargin with you better than others. In fact some of them really enjoy bargening with you. I only found 1 person in Cozumel whe was rude to us. Have a great time. Also you will do better shopping in town if you shop at the shops right at the dock they are more expensive & do not bargin as much. You can take a cab to town for about $12.00 about a 5 minute drive but hang on they drive crazy.

Old March 1st, 2005, 05:44 PM
BoosterMom

We love the shopping in Puerto Maya right there at the ships pier. Los Cincos Soles has some wonderful silver jewelry. We got our girls each a garnet and blue topaz ring for about $9.00 USD each. Given these aren't 3 ct stones, but they are perfect for them. We bought some diamond jewelry on the Inspiration. Their diamonds are of fairly good quality. My diamond studs are H color S2 clarity.............Tanzanite International would bargain on loose diamonds really well, but you had to get through at least two salespeople to get the guy who would bargain. I bought a little silver baby rattle for $3.00 at one of the little rolling carts there. Brought it home, had it monogrammed and gave it as a gift. Parents loved it. Yes, bargain, leave store, come back later, be willing to leave what you want in store. Touch of Gold had black pearls for $1.00 an inch. Would make a necklace or bracelet........granted again, no 14kt gold clasps, but for $10.00 a nice black pearl bracelet..................the girls loved them. I do hate all those cruise shopping talks, but I did feel better buying fine jewelry in the recommended stores because of the guarantee. I've heard both yea and ney on shopping at the port.....someone said they got an onyx chess set cheaper at pier than in town like $25.00 or so they paid..........
Old September 2nd, 2005, 02:41 PM
AmazingAngel

Every port we go to we have to buy T-shirts. I found a store right off the pier that sold T-shirts 3 for 10. Now that is cheap! That was two years ago and the shirts are still in great condition so they werent cheap cheap.