Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2005, 08:03 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to ColdInCanada
Default Southern Caribbean Tanzanite

Hi-

I'll be traveling on the Golden Princess this coming March. Our ports of call are Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. I'm looking to buy a good quality but reasonably priced tanzanite ring. Any recomendations? Any opinions on purchasing island tanzanite vs. purchasing tanzanite on the ship? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Countin the days,
L
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2005, 12:40 PM
Nyla

Default Re: Southern Caribbean Tanzanite

I bought a tanzanite and diamond ring when we were in St. Thomas. I got it downtown at a store called Chardot's. Check it out, I have also bought other jewlry from this store before and have no complaints.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Most important recommendation is to KNOW YOUR PRICES before you sail.

Our own experiences lately have been that St Mart. merchants seem to be more amicable to listening to offers, because far less cruise ships visit there than St. Thomas.

Though they seem to be catching up.

Prices, these days, may not be that much lower than what you would spend elsewhere, but they certainly have alot of selection.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 03:25 PM
Jamiegunter

I priced some at home after our cruise, and the prices I didnt think were that great on Tanzanite in the Islands. I didnt buy any, couldnt decide on something. Tanzanite is very popular so expect a large premium on it.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 11:33 AM
Yeoman

I always buy at Diamond's International when in Cozumel or St. Thomas. The tanzanite selection is the best and they are very reputable.

Carol
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I agree with Kuki, know before you go. I've actually gotten some of my best jewelry deals right on the ship. They usually run sales the last day.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Admiral

i have found better deals in St.Maarten as opposed to St. Thomas. The vendors in St. Maarten are friendlier and more open to haggeling than in St.Thomas. I found the sales people in St. Thomas to be very snooty and uppity that is unless you were spending a good chunk of change, then they couldn't do enough for you.
I purchased my Tanzinte earings on the ship, waited for the end of the cruise 50% off sale.
Old February 7th, 2005, 05:46 PM
saabgal

I bought a tanzanite & diamond ring last December onboard the Empress of the Seas. My hubby and I wanted to shoot ourselves after looking in many different stores on St. Maartin. After we were back on the ship that night, we stopped in the shop onboard. They were had tanzanite on sale on our sailing. My price was $200 cheaper than what the "preferred" shops in town could do for us. Plus, RCI has a 1 year no questions asked return policy. I don't anticipate returning it, but it was nice to know, I could go back during the cruise and return it if I found something better/cheaper on an island.

Also, the price for the loose stones seems to be reasonable. If you know a jeweler at home that does nice work and is reasonable, maybe you should just consider buying the stone....just a thought. And I definately agree, check prices for tanzanite at home. Also make sure to do some internet research so you know what to look for, cut and the color of the stone. Some places try to convince you that pale lavender is the best, when actually it seems to be the opposite, the darker, bluer is better quality.
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:59 AM
on behalf of Steve

I brought a tanzanite at the airport in Montego bay Jamaica, I paid $335.00 I got it aprased at home for over $700 good deal I think. It's also 18k large gold dome band with 2 small diamonds.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

I got a 1.75 TCW pair of oval earrings at Tanzanite International in St. Thomas. They "said" retail price was $1200.00 but I got them for $387.00 Plus my husband got a free beer. They are middle of the road color and I love them. That's all the counts. I am never planning on selling them.
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:30 PM
jfd

I have started going to jewelry auctions locally. I bought a tanzanite (4.5 carats) and diamond ring for $2600--had it appraised for $7500.
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Desiree Russo

I just came back from my cruise 4/23 and I bought my Tanzanite ring in St. Marteen and found I found it to be cheaper than St. Thomas. I also had a retail price on my ring of $4700 and got the ring for $1200. A 2ct Tanzanite with diamonds. Just look around
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:09 PM
First Mate

I am not that knowledgeable on Tanzanite myself so asked a very reputable lady in the high end jewelery business (she is a patient of mine) for advice on Tanzanite.
She agreed it will almost always appraise for more, but often can find the same deals in US. The best knowledge she passed onto me was that the Tanzanite stone is thermal (temperature) sensitive. Her story was a woman with a huge stone (13 carat) wore a ring to a Christmas party indoors, walked outside in very cold weather to her car a distance away. When she got home had found ring had shatters inside stone. I guess the warmth to cold was too much for the stone? The woman had full insurance on her ring. Perhaps it was unique to the largeness of the stone, but I thought I'd pass on a charachteristic to research on the stone as I have already heard it is a "soft stone, and perhaps now temperature sensitive".
Just FYI.

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old September 1st, 2005, 11:33 AM
Parrot Mom

Our local jeweler said the same thing about Tanzanite being a "soft" stone..Several years ago at a high end craft show I saw loose Tanzanite that knocked my socks off... the stones alone were $5,000.00 each and they were a deep, deep color (those seem to be the most expensive).. and I'd check out to see if a stone had been dyed before you bought one. You might be able to buy a loose stone and have it set here
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:29 PM
jfd

loose stones can shatter if the jeweler isn' t that experienced. thats one reason to buy tanzanite already set. it is more sensitive than other gemstones. get a deep color if you can--they are more valuable. also altho they say it isnt mined anymore there is still tons of it especially in the caribbean.
Old December 9th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Yeoman

I bought a few pieces of tanzanite in Cozumel and love them all. The only problem is that I insist on wearing them daily. A stone in the ring has a mark in it now and two of the eight opals in the pendant have fallen out. It's not a good idea to wear these daily but I can't help it!

Another story to ponder: I bought my first piece of tanzanite at a large retail jewler here in the states. A year later I had it appraised. They told me that it wasn't even tanzanite. It was sky blue topaz with a purple tinge to it! The jewler said they couldn't refund my money as it was over a year old and they couldn't match the ring to the receipt. The descriptions on those receipts are really vague. I got burnt!

Get familiar with tanzanite before you buy it! Go online and do your homework!
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Passenger

I always buy my Tanzanite on the ship, i find the prices very reasonable, i went to tanzanite international and did not find the deep colors that make a tanzanite worth more. maybe they were just out that day. I have a collection of loose tanzanite stones but - 1 afraid they will chip if i get them set and 2 the prices are sometimes higher on a nice loose stone than a set stone. And the best things about buying on the ship is that you have a 1 year warranty that covers just about any thing that could happen to it and a certificate of authenticity.
Old August 16th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Beginner

thank you so much for your input,,helped me allot