Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Linda G.

Default Shopping in Canada

We are taking Holland America's Maasdam on their New England@Canada cruise.
What are the best buys for items in Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, Quebec City, and Montreal? Also, besides buys, what items do you suggest purchasing while we are in each of these ports. I truly enjoy shopping and don't want to miss an opportunity to buy something nice, whether it be clothing or things for the home.
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2005, 05:04 PM
booboo4031

Default Re: Shopping in Canada

I don't know what part of the country you're in... but when I travel to Quebec city I love shopping for wool clothing. They have beautiful stuff that you don't find around here.... but I suppose if you life in south Texas that might not work

Old March 21st, 2005, 09:41 PM
linda g.

Booboo,
Thanks so much for the tip about wool clothing; I live in Virginia and it does get mighty cold in the winter!
Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:25 PM
CruzCrazy

I was just in Quebec as well and I found that they had beautiful housewares, dishes, pottery, artwork etc. The prices were very good as well.

I also found their woolen goods to be very nice. I live in Miami but I bought a boiled wool black jacket and wore it while I was in NYC on my post cruise trip. Just love the jacket.

You will find many wonderful things from Europe in that area.

While in Quebec take the time to do the city and country tour. It's wonderful. It wil still give you time to walk in charming Quebec as well.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:18 PM
Passenger

I live in Halifax. I'm not sure what you like, but there's some wonderful places to shop along the waterfront within walking distance of the pier, especially in Historic Properties, which is an area made to look like the 1800's. If you get the chance, go on FRED (free ride everywhere downtown), a bus and do some shopping on Spring Garden Road. Two stores not to be missed on this street are The Plaid Place and Jennifer's of Nova Scotia. They both have great stuff, a lot of which is local. Also just a block or so from Historic Properties is the Christmas Store -- Christmas stuff all year long. Just ask anyone and they'll tell you how to get to those locations. And while you're shopping, don't forget the food. Halifax has more bars/pubs and restaurants per capita than any city in North America. That's probably because there are 3 universities in the city and quite a young population during the school year.

Old August 8th, 2005, 08:08 AM
MrsMoose

Hi, as an american living in Montreal, the one thing I will tell you first is TAX everything is 15% taxed and aside from prescription drugs, everything is 15% taxed. You can fill out a form and before returning to the USA collect 7% back but I don't know how it works on cruise ships.

As for Montreal and Quebec City (I've visited Quebec City many times). The one item that comes to mind is fur. Otherwise the stuff is the same as in the USA and I generally don't even shop here anymore as I order most everything off the net from the USA, better choices, better choice of sizes and very often cheaper prices. Gold jewelry is very expensive here.
Hope this helps
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Mrs.Moose

Default Re: Re: Shopping in Canada

To add to everyone else, yes wool stuff and winter garments are more easily available especially if you live in a warmer climate, and there is a kind of winter parka/coat (they come in many styes) that is made in Quebec called a Kanuk.

There is nice pottery and artisanal stuff in the old city in quebec city.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 02:36 PM
AmazingAngel

I live in western Canada but have been out east...let me just say it is very beautiful. yes there is a tax on everything but oh well, but prices are not to bad depending on what you plan on buying.