Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shopping!
Register Forgot Password?

Shopping! Recommendations for the best places to shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:41 AM
tterryj50

Default Designer knock offs

Are there any stores that sell designer knock offs such as purses, clothes, etc.?
Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Designer knock offs

Where do you live? We have a small cobbler store in our local mall that sells knockoffs. My daughter got a beautiful KS for $19.00.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 06:50 PM
tterryj50

Default Re: Re: Designer knock offs

I'm sorry, I wanted to know if there are places in St. Thomas that you can get designer knock offs really cheap?
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:29 PM
gerif

Designer knock offs ARE really cheap - that's why they are knock offs. I'd be more interested in finding deals on the real thing - then you would be getting quality that might not fall apart the first time it is used.
Old August 6th, 2005, 07:23 AM
jphc318

louis vitton im sure
Old August 6th, 2005, 01:41 PM
nyla

In St. Thomas in the downtown area they have this big white tent area where there are quite alot of all kinds of knock-offs. I bought a Tommy Hilfiger and LV purse from there and you can dicker with the vendors too.
Old August 13th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Nyla is right! The "stalls" in St. Thomas are the best! Tons of knock off purses, duffels, some very nice silver jewelry, t-shirts galore.

Just remember - don't know why, but the stall area seems to be the hottest place in the world - take your time, drink a lot of water, be patient and have fun!
Old August 24th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Designer knock offs

I agree with gerif. What satisfaction does one get from buying a cheap immitation?
What is it proving? I am on my second LV wallet and both times I purchased them at Saks 5th Avenue at the LV department. I've also purchased the checkbook cover and a key case there. I can assure you that the experience was a lot more gratifying than standing in some smelly old junk tent sorting through filthy immitations that impress nobody and have been handled by God knows how many people.

Do yourself a favor, skip the cheap knock offs and go for the whole experience of acquiring a designer piece.
Old August 28th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Not everyone can afford the "whole experience of acquiring a designer piece". The fun for the rest of us comes when we see a real designer piece and a knockoff and cannot tell the difference.

Besides, with knockoffs, some of us can afford several great items instead of just one in a lifetime....then we go for the whole experience several times!
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to culbreth732 Send a message via Yahoo to culbreth732

i love knock offs because i can do other things with my money. likego on another cruise so show me the knock offs. can anyone tell me any shops in nassau,freeport.
Old August 31st, 2006, 06:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with you Milehigh. Shopping for knockoffs is so tacky. I can't imagine me shopping for knockoffs.

Old September 12th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Yeoman

My daughter was commenting the other day that knockoffs of Louis Vuitton have gotten so good, that no one knows who is carrying a real one or a fake one these days!

I don't buy knockoffs, but I have no problem with anyone who chooses to do so. We all have our priorities in life, and we are free to spend a lot or a little on whatever we want!

I don't see buying knockoffs as tacky.
A good friend of ours, who is a multimillionaire, wears CZs instead of diamonds. She says she isn't spending money on expensive jewelry -- not her thing. What's interesting is that people see those big rocks on her ears, and knowing she is rich they assume they are diamonds!

This woman also shops at Marshalls and TJ Maxx and has a good eye for style and value ... she looks like she shops at Saks.
Old September 13th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hey Fruitcake, I didn't mean to upset you. I only meant IMO that they are tacky and should be illegal... aren't they? You were absolutely right when you said it's not her thing. Well, the same goes for me. It's not my thing to shop and wear knockoffs. That's just me. You do you and I'll do me.
You know, I can't stand to watch a "bootleg" movie. For one thing, the picture quality is terrible. I would rather spend my 5 or 10 dollars for a ticket to see the movie. I know a few people too that are frugal such as your friend. I love them just the same.
Have a great day!

Old September 14th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Yeoman

I'm not upset!

I just said I don't consider it tacky to buy a knockoff. I also said I don't buy them.

Illegal? Yes -- in this country, it is supposed to be illegal to sell them, and there have been some people shut down for doing it. I'm not sure of the laws involved.
But as far as owning them, I don't know. You aren't going to have the purse police trying to enforce an anti-counterfeit designer bag law.

Other countries have different laws. I saw a store in Nassau, and one in Grand Cayman, that sold knockoffs.
Also saw a lot of fakes at various street booths on several islands.
I saw a fake LV -- the small purse -- for $100 in St. Thomas. The real ones are about $200 -- so why spend so much for a fake? At least that's my feeling on that particular item.

I don't buy bootleg movies.
Old September 25th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Passenger

Fakes are illegal....just go on the street in NYC when a cop goes by and watch the "merchants" scatter! I was really bummed out with the straw market in Nassau. It is full of fake everything, very little straw left! If you want any fake t shirts/sneakers/bags that is the place to go!
Old September 30th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

we just got back and the knock offs in Belize was soooooo fake. I couldn't make myself buy them. You can feel the cheap quality. It's not for me.

Old February 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Beginner

There are lots of knockoffs in the straw market in Nassau. Check around -there is varying quality.